Two weeks in Japan

Old August 20th, 2004, 03:00 AM
Iceman

I've just been told that I'm about to leave to Japan! I've got a
business meeting to go to in Kyoto, and since I've never visited Japan
before I decided to take quite a few additional days off for a total
of about a fortnight. Due to the short notice I haven't had time yet
to buy guidebooks and stuff, which I'm doing ASAP. In the meantime I'd
appreciate any and all advice as to places to visit. Some general
hints:
- Trip will take place approx during the first two weeks of
September
- I'm flying into/from Tokyo-Narita

Narita airport is about ninety minutes to two hours from the main
parts of Tokyo, so make sure you leave for the airport well in advance
and don't schedule any tight connections.

- I'm not on an overly tight budget but I don't want to spoil myself
either

Avoid taxis, make sure you know the price of a restaurant before you
go inside, and make sure you arrange cheap accomodation in advance.
Bars and clubs are very expensive in Tokyo - US $7-9 per drink is
standard even in crappy-looking bars, and club covers of US $25-30 are
not uncommon.

- My only compulsory destination is Kyoto where I have to spend a few
(2 to 4) days anyway

Spend five days in Tokyo, two in Kanazawa, and the rest in Kyoto
(including your business meeting and day trips to Nara and Himeji).

- Given the limited timeframe my preference lies with culture rather
than nature. This is a sad choice as I'd love to do both but I
definitely don't think I can embark on a mountain hike (which I'd
love to do BTW) in such a short time
- I definitely don't want a car, also given the world-famous Japanese
rail services

Definitely don't rent a car - they're very expensive, parking and
traffic are a nightmare, and gasoline and tolls are also very
expensive.

You might consider a Japan rail pass.

- I adore Japanese cuisine (particularly sushi), so any food-related
advice is specially welcome

Restaurants in Japan tend to specialize in one specific type of food
rather than having several types of Japanese food like Japanese
restaurants in the US. Besides sushi, some other types you might want
to try a

-tempura (seafood and vegetables dipped in a light, flaky batter)
-sukiyaki (thin strips of beef, sometimes Kobe beef, dipped in a sweet
sauce)
-yakitori (Japanese grilled chicken)
-kaiseki (Japanese traditional cuisine consisting of 10+ tiny courses,
mostly vegetarian)

Kyoto, Kanazawa, and Nagasaki are each known for their distinctive
regional versions of kaiseki. Nagasaki had a long history of trading
with the Portuguese, Dutch, and Chinese, and its cuisine absorbed many
influences from those cultures.

- Someone told me about "ryokans" (sp?) and if I understand correctly
what they are all about, I'd love to stay there. Any suggestions?

Japanese traditional inns.
Old August 20th, 2004, 08:10 AM
Heywood Mogroot

bobz wrote in message om...
Hi all,

Get a rail pass....will save loads of money, the trains are awesome...
Check out Fukuoka....right in the south, very nice countryside, and
fantastic spa's, and relatively cheaper than the main tourist traps...

uh... he's going to be in Kyoto, the heart of Japanese culture. I'd
just camp there for the two weeks.

Old August 20th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Heywood Mogroot

IIJIMA Hiromitsu wrote in message ...
Hi andy,

I'm adding fj.life.in-japan, where there are many English-speakers living
in Japan, in the Newsgroups: listing.

- I'm flying into/from Tokyo-Narita

- My only compulsory destination is Kyoto where I have to spend a few
(2 to 4) days anyway

- I definitely don't want a car, also given the world-famous Japanese
rail services

Be sure to order a Japan Rail Pass, if you satisfy the requirement for it.
http://www.japanrailpass.net.

probably not a money saver if he's only going to ride the train from
narita - tokyo - kyoto

- Someone told me about "ryokans" (sp?) and if I understand correctly
what they are all about, I'd love to stay there. Any suggestions?

Ryokan is Japanese-styled inns, with tatami, yukata, and Japanese foods.
You can, of course, order sushi at ryokan.

I recommend staying as long as you an in a Ryokan. They're the epitome
of Japanase style.

Old August 20th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Heywood Mogroot

(abcd) wrote in message om...
Hi all,

- Trip will take place approx during the first two weeks of
September

generally not a bad time to visit. Later in the month tends to be not
so muggy, but good enough.

- I'm flying into/from Tokyo-Narita

Probably not such a bad idea. The shinkansen ride to and from Kyoto is
quite a fun way to see the countryside, plus you should overnight in
Tokyo anyway, so staying 1-2 nights there coming and going is
recommended.

- I'm not on an overly tight budget but I don't want to spoil myself
either

Spend at least one or two nights in a quality ryokan. The experience
is generally exquisite.

- My only compulsory destination is Kyoto where I have to spend a few
(2 to 4) days anyway

Tokyo sights:

1) Akihabara if you like electronics
2) Ginza if you like shopping (Hakuhinkan is a great toy store)
3) West Tokyo (Shibuya/Harajuku, Shinjuku, Ikebukoro) if you like
people watching and wandering around. Shinjuku has the free
observation deck at the top of the city hall building ("To-Cho").
Ikebukuro has a Y500 (?) view from the top of the Sunshine City
building.
4) The Odaiba waterfront is sorta/marginally interesting. Lots of
stores and attractions, but I mainly like the architecture and
artificiality of the place.

- Given the limited timeframe my preference lies with culture rather
than nature. This is a sad choice as I'd love to do both but I
definitely don't think I can embark on a mountain hike (which I'd
love to do BTW) in such a short time

Kyoto is the place for culture. Just walking around you can inhale it.
You're coming a bit early so you'll definitely miss the fall foilage
crowds. The north end of the city has a lot of great temples, the east
end has traditional craft shops and museums. There are plenty of
interesting day trips (Byodo-in, Nara, Kanazawa, Kobe, Himeji) to
check out.

- I adore Japanese cuisine (particularly sushi), so any food-related
advice is specially welcome

Try everything, but I go for anything grilled/fried. Search out for
smokey grilled chicken places ('yakitori'). Nothing like a plate of
yakitori and a Japanese beer or two. You also can't go wrong with
Tempura -- sooo good since the Japanese only use first-rate rice with
it.

- Someone told me about "ryokans" (sp?) and if I understand correctly
what they are all about, I'd love to stay there. Any suggestions?

They're all private, non-chain establishments, with their own
idiosyncracies. They're a lot more traditional and less flexible than
business hotels, but those who appreciate Japanese culture prefer them
to the westernized hotels. Recommend trying the ones in Kyoto, and
staying in regular hotels in Tokyo. For a mid-range experience you
could try a 'minshuku', or family pension inn. They are more casual
and economical than ryokan, and usually friendlier too.

I think that's all for the moment. Thanks very much in advance,
andy

Let's see...

1. Arrive in Tokyo... get situated in hotel, hopefully near Tokyo
Station.

I haven't stayed here, but:
http://www.wh-rsv.com/english/akihabara/

is pretty well-situated, just across the street from Akihabara
station. Check out Akihabara, see if you want to spend more time there
after Kyoto (there's about 10 interesting stores to check out there).

2. Cruise around Tokyo. Ride the Yamanote loop line -- it's one hour
round trip, and an excellent way to get a grip on how large Tokyo
proper is. The north and south areas are rather boring, the west side
is where most of the action is.

3. Off to Kyoto. 2 1/2 - 3hrs by shinkansen IIRC. Seats on the right
give you a view of Mt Fuji, while seats on the left give you a view of
shore and ocean in some spots. Quite a fun little jaunt.

4. Basically everything in Kyoto is worth checking out. One of my
favorite times was just walking through a major temple complex in the
n. central part. Nice & quiet. Most of the major temples open kinda
late 9:00 or 10:00 IIRC, but get there early. Don't miss Ryoan-ji and
the other major temples, they are really really nice places to walk
around.

5. Probably 3-4 days is more than enough to devote to Kyoto, so
heading out to Nara, Kobe, and Kanazawa, and Himeji on day trips would
be good. Kobe and Himeji could be combined on a single daytrip.

I'd keep your schedule flexible, by checking out Tokyo first you can
see how much you want to see on the trip back. It's not tourist season
in Sept so hotel reservations shouldn't be a problem.

Narita is a more than an hour outside Tokyo, so if possible you don't
want an early flight out.

Old August 20th, 2004, 09:16 AM
abcd

Thanks very much everyone for your answers.

I'm flying into Narita because that's what I was instructed to do.
Erroneously apparently... Anyway the flight is confirmed and payed for
by now so there's not much I can do. My working days in Kyoto will be
full-time, so I'll have no time for anything else. But I'll spend some
additional days there after the meetings.

I bought a couple of guidebooks in the meantime which, along with your
comments, should get me going. I've got just another issue, and it's a
recurrent one: I have to buy a digital camera... I searched the Web
and these NGs but I wasn't able to find any recent postings/articles
about the subject. My preference (after some research) lies with the
Nikon Coolpix 5200 or something similar. Does anyone have a clue as to
whether it's cheaper in Japan or in Europe? Of course also considering
warranty, assistance, etc.

Thanks very much again,
andy