Bangkok

Old November 27th, 2005, 05:46 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

Default Bangkok

Tchiowa wrote:
Chris Blunt wrote:

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 12:14:34 +0200, "Markku Grönroos"
wrote:

"Tchiowa" kirjoitti
ooglegroups.com...

If the original poster takes nothing else from this thread I hope he
takes the simply advice to avoid Khao San Road like the plague. You
couldn't find a worse area in Bangkok.

Bull. There should be nothing wrong with this 400 meter long strip. For
instance many areas close to Sukhumvit Road and Patpong are are a zillion
times worse.

It's a cesspool.

Something I do like about Khao San Road is that its one of the few
places that have both ordinary Thais and foreigners mixing and
enjoying themselves.

You can't be serious, Chris.

I'm absolutely serious.

I hope you're not getting into the
backpacker "you have to live poor to see the *real* Thailand" mantra.

You mean you wish I had.

I mix with and have a good time with ordinary Thai every day and never
get near Khao San Road. I mix with Thai in my apartment complex, at
work, in restaurants near my home, in my wife's village up north,
everywhere.

Of course you can do that. You can mix with Thai people in most places
all around Thailand. What I'm saying is that in Bangkok there is
generally a polarisation of entertainment venues. Foreigners tend to
go to certain places and Thai people go to others and there's not that
much mixing of the two groups. What I liked about some of the places
in Khao San Road was the "melting pot" atmosphere where everyone
enjoyed themselves together.

You don't have to hang out with unemployed drug addicts
travelling the world on their parents money in order to associate with
"real Thai".

The only Thai you'll see on Khao San Road are those who are "on the
game". Normal, average, ordinary Thai despise the place. The Thai that
go there know that a high percentage of the farang in Khao San Road are
drug or alcohol abusers and usually young, new to Thailand and
incredibly naive. Suckers waiting to be taken.

Total bull****, and what an insult to Thai people, the overwhelming
majority of whom are not "on the game". For example, just take a look
inside Susie Pub in Khao San Road on any Friday or Saturday evening
and see the dozens of quite ordinary Thai couples enjoying themselves
there.

I wonder what your motivation is for putting these people down. You
should be ashamed of yourself for making such derogatory statements
about perfectly respectable Thai people.

Chris
Old November 27th, 2005, 07:09 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

"Tchiowa" wrote in message
ups.com...

But if your goal is to hang out with a lot of low-life drunks and drug
addicts, have an occasional bar fight, find illegal drugs, get ripped
off, share your room with cockroaches and mosquitoes, get hassled by
the cops and otherwise prove all the stererotypes about backpackers
then Khao San Road is the place to be.

*****Or you could go to a GoGo Bar and have your name put on the wall as
having the most Barfines in one day could'nt you Titchy????

If anyone here knows about sleezy bars and places to go Tchiowa is your man.

;-)

Old November 27th, 2005, 07:12 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

"Chris Blunt" wrote in message
I'm not surprised that the type of people who prefer to hang out at
places with semi-naked girls 'dancing' around a pole would hate Khao
San Road.

Chris

*****Hmmmmmmmm Would that be the Barfine King of the old Las Vegas a GoGo
now known as the Nevada a GoGo perhaps Chris???

We all know what a hypocrite he is don't we????

;-)

Old November 27th, 2005, 07:16 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

"Chris Blunt" wrote in message
Total bull****, and what an insult to Thai people, the overwhelming
majority of whom are not "on the game". For example, just take a look
inside Susie Pub in Khao San Road on any Friday or Saturday evening
and see the dozens of quite ordinary Thai couples enjoying themselves
there.

I wonder what your motivation is for putting these people down. You
should be ashamed of yourself for making such derogatory statements
about perfectly respectable Thai people.

Chris

******All grist for the mill for Tchiowa who know absolutely nothing about
the "real" Thailand.
He merely likes to post either boasting of his wealth or his love affair
with George Bush.

:-)

Old November 28th, 2005, 03:17 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

On 27 Nov 2005 02:05:48 -0800, "Tchiowa" wrote:

If the original poster takes nothing else from this thread I hope he
takes the simply advice to avoid Khao San Road like the plague. You
couldn't find a worse area in Bangkok.

Everything you see or hear wrong about backpackers and foreign
travellers is on display there. No one in his right mind goes there.

Then why is it becoming a hot spot for young and trendy Thai people
looking for a night out?

Were you able to see past all the street stalls and fake ID's or do
you have a very narrow range of vision?
Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
Old November 28th, 2005, 05:00 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

Nefarious wrote:
On 27 Nov 2005 02:05:48 -0800, "Tchiowa" wrote:

If the original poster takes nothing else from this thread I hope he
takes the simply advice to avoid Khao San Road like the plague. You
couldn't find a worse area in Bangkok.

Everything you see or hear wrong about backpackers and foreign
travellers is on display there. No one in his right mind goes there.

Then why is it becoming a hot spot for young and trendy Thai people
looking for a night out?

It's not.

Were you able to see past all the street stalls and fake ID's or do
you have a very narrow range of vision?

And past the drug dealers, the $2 a night cockroach infested guest
houses, the farang drunks staggering down the street, the scammers
trying to rip of the drunk farangs, the police looking for visa
over-stayers, that "range of vision"?

Old November 28th, 2005, 05:17 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

Chris Blunt wrote:
Tchiowa wrote:
Chris Blunt wrote:

Something I do like about Khao San Road is that its one of the few
places that have both ordinary Thais and foreigners mixing and
enjoying themselves.

You can't be serious, Chris.

I'm absolutely serious.

I hope you're not getting into the
backpacker "you have to live poor to see the *real* Thailand" mantra.

You mean you wish I had.

No, I mean exactly what I said. I hope you're not trying to say that.
It's a pathetic attitude and it's beneath most people.

I mix with and have a good time with ordinary Thai every day and never
get near Khao San Road. I mix with Thai in my apartment complex, at
work, in restaurants near my home, in my wife's village up north,
everywhere.

Of course you can do that. You can mix with Thai people in most places
all around Thailand.

Then why did you say that it is "one of the few places"? Now you're
saying "most places". I agree with that.

What I'm saying is that in Bangkok there is
generally a polarisation of entertainment venues. Foreigners tend to
go to certain places and Thai people go to others and there's not that
much mixing of the two groups. What I liked about some of the places
in Khao San Road was the "melting pot" atmosphere where everyone
enjoyed themselves together.

But the melting pot atmosphere is a very deliberate fraud. The only pot
involved is the pot that a huge percentage of the farang are smoking.

You don't have to hang out with unemployed drug addicts
travelling the world on their parents money in order to associate with
"real Thai".

The only Thai you'll see on Khao San Road are those who are "on the
game". Normal, average, ordinary Thai despise the place. The Thai that
go there know that a high percentage of the farang in Khao San Road are
drug or alcohol abusers and usually young, new to Thailand and
incredibly naive. Suckers waiting to be taken.

Total bull****, and what an insult to Thai people, the overwhelming
majority of whom are not "on the game". For example, just take a look
inside Susie Pub in Khao San Road on any Friday or Saturday evening
and see the dozens of quite ordinary Thai couples enjoying themselves
there.

And that is a total insult and a rather dishonest reply. I was very
clear that the normal, average, ordinary Thai weren't who I was talking
about. I was talking about the very tiny percentage of Thai who go near
Khao San Road. For you to say that that comment insults "Thai people,
the overwhelming majority of which are not 'on the game' implies that I
was saying that they were. And they're not and my statement was quite
clear.

I wonder what your motivation is for putting these people down. You
should be ashamed of yourself for making such derogatory statements
about perfectly respectable Thai people.

I wonder what your motivation is for deliberately twisting a statement
in order to support Khao San Road.

Let's be clear and "blunt", should we? Khao San Road is a haven for
backpackers travelling on the cheap and often (usually?) in pursuit of
illegal drugs, cheap booze, and trying to avoid Thai people and culture
as much as possible. It's a place where low-lifes hang out. It's a
place where those who want to take advantage of low-lifes hang out.
It's a place that most Thai avoid.

Now are the a few average, decent people who don't see what's happening
and hang out because they're drawn in by the "ambience"? I'm sure there
are. But it does no one any good to try to pretend that it is anything
other than what I described above.

There's a big billboard advertizing Khao San Road that's visible from
the highway on the way into town from the airport. The first time I saw
it I was with my Thai wife and she snickered and said "farang mao"
(drunk westerners). *THAT* is what the Thai people think of the place.
You can pretend all day it is otherwise, but it's not.

Old November 28th, 2005, 05:31 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article . com,
says...

Let me put it this way: The Grand Sheraton is a hotel for people with
good jobs. Nana is a hotel for people with regular jobs. Khao San Road
is for people with bad drugs.

Now you are really writing nonsense. I'm not on drugs

.... OK, *you* are not. But are you going to try to deny that Khao San
Road is the "tourist drug capital" of Bangkok? It's where the dopers
go, is it not? You really don't need to get into much more detail than
that. Dopers don't usually hang out in the best places, do they?

but when in Bangkok I usually stay in or around Khaosan road,
because it is so convenient.

Convenient to what? Shopping, transportation, good restaurants,
airport? No.

And by the way, in Khaosan road there are hotels with clean
rooms, with A/C, private bath etc.

And with that comment you proved my point. If you weren't talking about
Khao San Road there would be no need to mention "clean rooms" or
"private bath". Those are standard in virtually all other tourist areas
of Bangkok. You would never both to mention those things if you were
talking about the Nana or the Grand Sheraton (from above). It's kind of
like saying that the hotel has air to breath. But checking to see if
the rooms are clean and asking if you get a private bath is standard on
Khao San Road.

Judging from what you write one can
only assume that you haven't been in Khaosan road for a while.

Well you're right about that. I went there a couple of times a number
of years ago and was pretty much disgusted by the place. And given all
the places in the world I've been that takes some doing. The only place
I recall worse was the hippie havens of Kathmandu.

Look at the people even now who talk about the place. Most of them want
to talk about how cheap it is. If someone posts a question about where
to get drugs in Bangkok it's guaranteed someone will pop in and say
"Khao San Road". If someone is looking for fake IDs, fake passports,
illegal documentation of any kind they will get sent to Khao San Road.
When you hear someone complaining about police harassment and alleged
passport sweeps or drug searches they are more often than not talking
about Khao San Road.

Old November 28th, 2005, 06:31 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

On 27 Nov 2005 21:00:13 -0800, "Tchiowa" wrote:

Nefarious wrote:
On 27 Nov 2005 02:05:48 -0800, "Tchiowa" wrote:

If the original poster takes nothing else from this thread I hope he
takes the simply advice to avoid Khao San Road like the plague. You
couldn't find a worse area in Bangkok.

Everything you see or hear wrong about backpackers and foreign
travellers is on display there. No one in his right mind goes there.

Then why is it becoming a hot spot for young and trendy Thai people
looking for a night out?

It's not.

Did you not just post that you have not been near the place in years?

Places tend to change .

Many young Thai people now hang out in Khao San Road area , and there
are some trendy spots.

Were you able to see past all the street stalls and fake ID's or do
you have a very narrow range of vision?

And past the drug dealers, the $2 a night cockroach infested guest
houses, the farang drunks staggering down the street, the scammers
trying to rip of the drunk farangs, the police looking for visa
over-stayers, that "range of vision"?

Yes, I agree that years ago Khao San was a cesspit.

But in the last few years it has changed substantially .

You may want to pass by again and have a look.