Bangkok

Old November 29th, 2005, 07:34 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

Default Bangkok

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 14:27:36 +0800, Chris Blunt
wrote:

Don't be such an idiot. Nobody is referring to drug dealers as normal,
average everyday people. You made up this baseless claim that every
Thai person in Khao San Road is either a prostitute or a drug dealer.
You are the only one to have insulted Thai people here, and you should
be ashamed of yourself for it.

You get drug dealers all over Thailand, in fact all over the world, no
more and no less in Khao San Road. You get rich drug addicts and you
get poor drug addicts. Wealthy superstars are just as likely to get
involved in drugs as any other sector of society. If you don't like
Khao San Road, just say so any leave it at that. You don't need to
engage in this stupid tirade against the place to justify not going
there. What is the matter with you, man?

Chris

Look this Guy had a bad experience at Khao San Road years ago and he
is trying to blame everybody but himself for being a nieve fool.

He is not only trying to condem a whole vibrant section of Bangkok ,
he is also trying to condem all the PEOPLE in that area. He made a
very stupid comment that he is unwilling to fess up to.

A total loser in my opinion.
Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
Old November 29th, 2005, 08:00 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

On 28 Nov 2005 22:00:33 -0800, "Tchiowa" wrote:

Chris Blunt wrote:
On 28 Nov 2005 04:18:14 -0800, "Tchiowa" wrote:

You said, and I quote: " its one of the few places that have both
ordinary Thais and foreigners mixing and enjoying themselves". By doing
so you are saying that a) those are ordinary Thais, and b) either Thais
don't associate with foreigners elsewhere or those that do aren't
ordinary Thais.

I'm saying both a) and b). They are ordinary Thai people, and no, Thai
people don't generally mix with foreigners in the entertainment venues
that most foreigners go to, at least in Bangkok. I found a couple of
places in Khao San Road that were nice exceptions to that. That's all
I said, period.

And you're 100% wrong. Thai people associate with foreigners all over
the Kingdom.

Yes, but not in most of the entertainment venues in Bangkok that
foreigners to go to, which is what I actually said.

I'm not going to respond to the rest of your garbage in which you
continue to insult the Thai people who go to Khao San Road by claiming
they are prostitutes even though you haven't actually been there
yourself for years. As others have noted, you are indeed a very sick
man.

Why do you find it necessary to flat out lie to try to make a point? I
never claimed that the Thai going there were prostitutes.

How can a verbatim quote from you possibly be a lie on my part? Here
is what you wrote again.

On 27 Nov 2005 21:17:22 -0800, "Tchiowa" wrote:
The only Thai you'll see on Khao San Road are those who are "on the
game".

As everyone knows, being "on the game" is a slang term for a
prostitute. You're surely not going to try to tell us that you really
meant they were there actually playing some other kind of "game".
Cricket, or ice hockey, maybe?

You were insulting Thais people. Live with the fact that you got
caught, or better still withdraw your dirty comments.

Chris
Old November 29th, 2005, 01:46 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

Deet wrote:
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 19:08:18 +0100, Alfred Molon
wrote:

In article .com,
says...

Cheapness is not the key selling point of KSR. It's full of travel
agencies, restaurants catering to westerners, hotels, internet cafes,
fellow travellers etc. It's an ideal base for organising trips, getting
visas, exchanging ideas with other travellers. Plus it's centrally
located, in walking distance of the Grand Palace and other attractions

My 2 cents worth.... There is an entire sub-culture of people that
call themselves 'backpackers' who genuinely like to travel around.
However they do it not for the experience of exposure to new cultures,
but rather do it to see where they can go with the least possible
expense. This is usually at such cost to the locals (bargaining
without end, comparing deals, passing on the 'best place' to go i.e.
cheap) that I'd rank them right up there with tour groups. Both types
of people hang out together, have little interest in the local society
where they happen to be visiting, and are much more likely to frequent
'westerners, western hotels, internet cafes, restaurants catering to
westerners' etc etc. and both groups contribute little to the local
economies.
Both groups are pretty shallow and limited in their outlooks.

I agree with your 2 satang. To add further, there is nothing wrong nor
anything derogatory to be implied about travelling on the cheap. But
you are right that the sub-culture exists as you describe. Further, one
of the downsides of that culture is that many of them are involved in
drugs and other less than savorable habits.

It's too bad that this sub-culture exists because it creates a real bad
image that other budget travellers have to deal with. But it's there.
And to deny that it's there is to deny reality.

The 2 worst examples of it that I have personally seen are Kathmandu
(not all of it, just the "Berkeley Lite" area) and Khao San Road.

How can it be any kind of fraud? At weekends there are literally
hundreds of perfectly normal Thai people in some of the bars in KSR.

No there aren't.

And how would you know if you haven't been there for years ?

I asked my wife about this. To put her response into perspective- she
is 29 yrs old, has a BA from Chukalorn (or however you spell it) and a
Masters in Economics from Melbourne University (no I'm not Aussie) and
works for the Thai gov't. The office where she works has about 350
employees. They don't have any strong opinions of Khao San Road.
Generally they don't much think about it, except to note as an aside
that the foreigners there are 'very young' and 'hippies' and that
there 'sure are a lot of bars there'. The idea that it's becoming
trendy for yuppie Thais has actually some merit. But the feeling is
that they will be driven out in short order by the crassness of the
foreigners. That is- it's ok to be exposed to them in small doses, but
familiarity breeds even more contempt than normal.

My friends have a somewhat less kind opinion, but generally the same.
For those that don't realize it, "hippies" is not a complement. ;-)

Is it or is it not true that Khao San Road is "the place to go" for
foreigners to score drugs?

I have never seen anybody selling drugs in KSR, nor have I been offered
drugs in KSR. But I've been offered drugs, even heavy ones in Europe
(Amsterdam, just to make an example). I guess Europe must be a cesspool?
Or perhaps KSR is not as drug-infested as you like to think ?

Actually you are perfectly correct on this one. Most of europe is a
huge cesspool.

I didn't specifically comment on this during my response, but I've been
to Amsterdam many times. Most of it is quite nice. One of my favorite
European cities. But the areas where the drug cafes are concentrated is
in fact a cesspool. Similarly Bangkok is not a cesspool. Far from it.
But the areas where drugs are common are. And the reality is that Khao
San Road is one of those areas.

By the way, not all foreigners are on drugs and prostitutes.

They might not be on drugs, but the vast majority of them are on prostitutes.

5555555555555555

Old November 29th, 2005, 01:56 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

Chris Blunt wrote:
On 28 Nov 2005 21:43:38 -0800, "Tchiowa" wrote:

(sigh) It's not farangs selling to farangs. It doesn't matter that they
are arriving without drugs in their pockets. The stoners are buying
their drugs there, in Khao San Road, from Thai dealers. The same Thai
that others in this thread are calling "normal, average, everyday Thai"
which is a cruel insult to all of the normal, average everyday Thai.

Don't be such an idiot. Nobody is referring to drug dealers as normal,
average everyday people.

The place is crawling with drug dealers. You are the one who referred
to the Thai in Khao San Road as normal Thai.

You made up this baseless claim that every
Thai person in Khao San Road is either a prostitute or a drug dealer.

And you are the one who keeps lying about what I said. Please show me
where I said that every Thai person in Khao San Road is either a
prostitute or a drug dealer. I didn't say it. The fact that you have
now twice repeated the same lie implies that you're getting a tad
desperate.

You are the only one to have insulted Thai people here, and you should
be ashamed of yourself for it.

The people there are what they are. Your assumption that all Thai
people are like what you see in Khao San Road is an insult.

You get drug dealers all over Thailand,

Yes.

in fact all over the world,

Yes.

no more and no less in Khao San Road.

Absolutely wrong, and that's the point. The place is crawling with
them.

You get rich drug addicts and you
get poor drug addicts. Wealthy superstars are just as likely to get
involved in drugs as any other sector of society. If you don't like
Khao San Road, just say so any leave it at that.

I did. Then you (and a couple of others) jumped in and described is a
heaven on earth, or close to it. You insulted all my Thai friends with
your comments and you made ridiculous claims about what a wonderful
socially fulfilling place it is. You expect anyone to let you leave
those statements unchallenged????

You don't need to
engage in this stupid tirade against the place to justify not going
there. What is the matter with you, man?

What's the matter with me is that I don't think it is good for Thailand
for you to be making those absurd remarks about Khao San Road and
effectively encouraging people to go there. What is the matter with
you? Did I insult one of your hangouts?

Old November 29th, 2005, 03:00 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

On 29 Nov 2005 04:56:31 -0800, "Tchiowa" wrote:

Chris Blunt wrote:
On 28 Nov 2005 21:43:38 -0800, "Tchiowa" wrote:

(sigh) It's not farangs selling to farangs. It doesn't matter that they
are arriving without drugs in their pockets. The stoners are buying
their drugs there, in Khao San Road, from Thai dealers. The same Thai
that others in this thread are calling "normal, average, everyday Thai"
which is a cruel insult to all of the normal, average everyday Thai.

Don't be such an idiot. Nobody is referring to drug dealers as normal,
average everyday people.

The place is crawling with drug dealers. You are the one who referred
to the Thai in Khao San Road as normal Thai.

The ones I talked about were not drug-dealers, drug-takers or
prostitutes. That's what I mean by "ordinary" Thai people.

You made up this baseless claim that every
Thai person in Khao San Road is either a prostitute or a drug dealer.

And you are the one who keeps lying about what I said. Please show me
where I said that every Thai person in Khao San Road is either a
prostitute or a drug dealer. I didn't say it. The fact that you have
now twice repeated the same lie implies that you're getting a tad
desperate.

You must be blind. Here it is for the third time:

On 27 Nov 2005 21:17:22 -0800, "Tchiowa" wrote:
"The only Thai you'll see on Khao San Road are those who are "on the
game"."

You are the only one to have insulted Thai people here, and you should
be ashamed of yourself for it.

The people there are what they are. Your assumption that all Thai
people are like what you see in Khao San Road is an insult.

You get drug dealers all over Thailand,

Yes.

in fact all over the world,

Yes.

no more and no less in Khao San Road.

Absolutely wrong, and that's the point. The place is crawling with
them.

I've never seen any, and I've been there many times. Its only you (who
never goes there) that "sees" these drug-dealers in your imagination.

You get rich drug addicts and you
get poor drug addicts. Wealthy superstars are just as likely to get
involved in drugs as any other sector of society. If you don't like
Khao San Road, just say so any leave it at that.

I did. Then you (and a couple of others) jumped in and described is a
heaven on earth, or close to it. You insulted all my Thai friends with
your comments and you made ridiculous claims about what a wonderful
socially fulfilling place it is. You expect anyone to let you leave
those statements unchallenged????

I said I enjoyed the way ordinary (read non-drug taking/dealing) Thai
people go there to enjoy themselves and mix with the tourists there.
That's all I said. I don't believe any Thai people would be insulted
by that.

And by the way, all my Thai friends are insulted that you think they
are prostitutes and drug-dealers. They've asked me to pass on the
message to you that you're not welcome in their country with that kind
of attitude.

Old November 29th, 2005, 03:16 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

"Tchiowa" kirjoitti
glegroups.com...

I understand what you're saying. But I don't think you show respect for
Jews by ignoring it when a blatant racists like Markku makes the kinds
of comments he has made here on this group. I think you show respect by
fighting racists like him at every opportunity.

You should be shot to death as soon as possible you yid bedouin. Your
foreskin stinks.

Old November 29th, 2005, 04:12 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

"I see. So the stories in the newspapers about drug busts are fake? The
postings you see on Usenet telling people where to buy drugs in
Thailand are illusions?"

Everyone knows that two places you never try to buy drugs unless you
want a long stay in the Bangkok Hilton are the Khao San Road and the
Full Moon Party.

Locals on the island with the Full Moon Party (Koh Phangan) get paid
far more for turning a drug buyer in than they would get from actually
selling drugs - I wouldn't be suprised if the same arrangement was true
on the KSR.

"The backpackers you see on Khao San Road were all born with blank
expressions and eyes that can't focus and breath that smells like
copper? It's a genetic thing? Grinding the backs of their teeth off is
a religious rite? Ecstasy is just an emotion?"

Lots of backpackers are on drugs a lot of the time, hence the look, but
they sure don't get them there. If you just returned to Bangkok for
your flight home after spending a month hanging around on beaches
taking drugs, would you look sharp and focused?

"The fact that an annoyingly high percentage of the backpackers there
are, in fact, idiots is just one more reason to avoid the place."

KSR is probably the broadest cross-section of backpackers you will find
anywhere, both in terms of nationality and type of travellers.

Old November 29th, 2005, 04:18 PM posted to rec.travel.asia

"I didn't specifically comment on this during my response, but I've
been to Amsterdam many times. Most of it is quite nice. One of my
favorite European cities. But the areas where the drug cafes are
concentrated is in fact a cesspool."

Hard drug dealers operate openly and aggressively on the streets of
Amsterdam's Red Light District, and the police do nothing about it.
And crazed hard drug addicts wander the streets at all hours harassing
people, and the police also do nothing about that. That's why it's a
cesspool. The marijuana cafes themselves and the backpackers they
attract are not the problem.

"Similarly Bangkok is not a cesspool. Far from it. But the areas where
drugs are common are. And the reality is that Khao San Road is one of
those areas."

Bangkok's sex trade areas are cesspools. The rest of the city is not.
The KSR is a harmless backpacker ghetto, even if it isn't the most
authentic part of Thailand.