Driving cross country with expired tags - how to avoid police?

Old July 21st, 2006, 01:25 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
[email protected][_1_]

Default Driving cross country with expired tags - how to avoid police?

In most states I am aware of insurance companies
have a special rate for cars being stored.

A few years ago I had to store my car for 6 months. Someone suggested I
tell my insurance agent, which hadn't occured to me, and he adjusted
the coverage and my rate was dramatically lower.

Jim

Old July 21st, 2006, 01:50 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Dave Smith

SP Cook wrote:

Here's a valid question:
Used to be some states didn't legally care where you lived and would
issue a legal registration by mail even, along with plates, just as long
as you paid the fee. Wondering if any states still do that.

Such a plate would only be valid in the state of issuance. The Full
Faith and Credit clause of the Constitution only applies to legitimate
acts of one state. States cannot issue valid plates to non-residents
that the state the person actually lives in is bound to honor.

Otherwise, some smart state would just set a plate fee at $5 and sell
plates to every single person in America.

To the best of my knowledge, all states and provinces require that the
registered owner be a resident of the jurisdiction where the plate is issued.
I know that Ontario's HTA exempts vehicles from having to have an Ontario
permit id the owner is a resident of jurisdiction in which it is registered.
It gets more complicated when you get into trucks and buses. They used to have
to register in whatever every jurisdiction they were travelling in. Then
there were reciprocal agreements made to allow vehicles to operate in
reciprocating states if the owner resided in or was based in the state. Not
all states were involved. There was a and of states just in from the west
coast that all opted out of reciprocity. Then a few years ago they
implemented the IRP system where you registered in your home jurisdiction and
paid a portion of the permit fees for each jurisdiction travelled in and their
permits listed all the states and provinces in which they were registered, and
the RGW they paid for in each one.

Then there are semi trailers. If all the trailers registered in Vermont were
ever to be returned there on the same day they would run out of parking spaces
before coffee brake. Since they aren't motor vehicles they can get away with
it. Some states have annual trailer permit fees and others are valid for the
life of the plate. Companies look for states with attractive trailer permit
fees and sales tax rates.

Commercial vehicle plates are a lot more expensive than car plates. If there
were not controls on it, any state could make a lucrative business of selling
permits. At $1500 or more per year, and requiring only a stamped sheet of
metal, a pre printed form with the important data on it and a filing system,
they could make billions.

Old July 21st, 2006, 02:34 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
sechumlib

On 2006-07-20 20:50:24 -0400, Dave Smith said:

Then there are semi trailers. If all the trailers registered in Vermont were
ever to be returned there on the same day they would run out of parking spaces
before coffee brake.

Coffee emergency brake, or coffee foot brake?

Old July 21st, 2006, 02:38 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Brian[_1_]

On 20 Jul 2006 16:14:46 -0700, "SP Cook" wrote:

Such a plate would only be valid in the state of issuance. The Full
Faith and Credit clause of the Constitution only applies to legitimate
acts of one state. States cannot issue valid plates to non-residents
that the state the person actually lives in is bound to honor.

Otherwise, some smart state would just set a plate fee at $5 and sell
plates to every single person in America.

SP Cook

At one time, when I was in the Army, I had valid GA plates while still
having a valid CT license. I did, however, have some explaining to do
when I was pulled over.

Old July 21st, 2006, 02:39 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Brian[_1_]

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 03:17:36 GMT, "Alohacyberian"
wrote:

I was also pulled over once because my description matched the perpetrator
and my car matched the getaway car in robbery (or some such thing - they
never did tell me) that had just been committed in the neighborhood where I
was driving. They were extremely unpleasant; fortunately another squad car
had nailed the suspect; unfortunately the cops that pulled me over didn't
discover that tidbit for about 4 hours. Yes, I got hauled in and yes my car
got towed. I did get a letter of apology, though. KM

Did you have to pay for the towing?
Old July 21st, 2006, 02:42 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Brian[_1_]

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 03:17:38 GMT, "Alohacyberian"
wrote:

I don't think it's always the state, I think its also the individual law
enforcement officer involved. I was riding with a friend in Wyoming and he
was going descending that long downhill grade just after we crossed the
Continental divide going 72 in a 70 mile an hour zone. Several cars with
Wyoming plates had sped past us, but, the officer ticketed my friend with
the California plates. Fortunately, at that time, speeding tickets were
very reasonable there at that time: $10, but, all fines cut in half if you
were wearing your safety belt. In Wyoming, like Colorado, you pay the
ticket on the spot if you have out of state plates. We imagined the officer
taking the crisp $5 bill and heading to the nearest dunkin' donuts. KM

My wife got a ticket in Wyoming a couple of years ago for doing 80 in
a 65. Fortunately, I had gotten her to slow down from the 90 she had
been doing. She mailed in the fine from home. We live in MD. I think
the fine was about $75.

Old July 21st, 2006, 04:10 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Steve Sobol

Don Kirkman wrote:

A few months ago I was followed several blocks, then pulled over by a
local Sheriff's deputy who questioned my registration and license plate
(everything was in order). I have Amateur Radio plates, have had for
many years now, but this young officer apparently didn't even know such
a thing existed (they're not that unusual on the California roads and
streets). When he tried to run a computer check he failed to account for
a space in the license number and it came back as unknown. I had to sit
and wait for a while before he (apparently) tried various combinations
of the digits and letters before he hit the right one. Naturally, he
told me that it was okay, but didn't bother to apologize for the
inconvenience his lack of knowledge/imagination caused me.

My experience was somewhat better in 1997.

Wickliffe, OH, just east of Cleveland - I'm driving around in my brand new
car, for which I ordered personalized plates.

It takes a while to manufacture them, so after my 30-day tag expires, I get a
small placard from the dealer with my plate number written on it, and a
letter from the BMV saying I'm legal to drive that car.

I get pulled over by a Wickliffe cop for driving without plates.

Of course, once I explained myself and handed over the letter and my license,
and he ran the plate number and VIN to make sure the car wasn't stolen,
everything was cool, and he apologized to me (not that I thought it was a big
deal, everyone screws up sometimes).

--
Steve Sobol, Professional Geek ** Java/VB/VC/PHP/Perl ** Linux/*BSD/Windows
Apple Valley, California PGP:0xE3AE35ED

It's all fun and games until someone starts a bonfire in the living room.
Old July 21st, 2006, 04:13 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Steve Sobol

Carmen L. Abruzzi wrote:

Yep. I got ticketed for no current registration (while the car was
parked, so I didn't see the cop) when I never received the sticker from
the DMV. Went to court with my receipt, well they sent me to the DA
(or some sub-assistant DA, I guess) who gave me a stern lecture about
how it was *my* responsibility to be sure I received the sticker and
put it on the plate. But he decided to "let it go this time", and
dropped the charge. So I'm sure the cop can stop you, and possibly
even ticket you for failing to display your registration, it would
depend on the state.

Sure. Much like your failure to show your drivers license, because (for
example) you forgot it at home, is prima facie evidence that you don't have
one, and you can get a ticket.

I got pulled over once and had forgotten my license at home, and managed to
get out of a "no license" ticket by telling the officer "I know my license
number," and I gave him the license number, SSN and address and he ran it,
and it checked out. (This was back before Ohio allowed you to omit your SSN
from your license.)