Driving cross country with expired tags - how to avoid police?

Old July 19th, 2006, 12:32 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
John F. Carr

Default Driving cross country with expired tags - how to avoid police?

In article .com,
Mike Tantillo wrote:
I assume you'd still have to do something to get the cop's attention in
order to prompt them to punch in the number. Unless they're literally
bringing up license plate info as they drive around "just for the fun
of it"...

Some of them do that.

--
John Carr )
Old July 19th, 2006, 12:32 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
John F. Carr

In article . com,
Sapphyre wrote:

wrote:
Any suggestions about what route I should
take or how I can avoid getting pulled over?

You can avoid being pulled over by having valid tags (which means your
car passes safety and is registered where you live).

Having valid tags does not prevent police from pulling you over.

--
John Carr )
Old July 19th, 2006, 12:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
[email protected]

On 2006-07-18 19:35:18 -0400, " said:

Here's another point of view - chances are, the cops won't notice.

It depends on what state you're coming from. It's doubtful the cops
have every state's tags memorized. It actually shouldn't be that hard.
Consider New Jersey - they stopped providing registration stickers in
2004. Many people are driving around with tags that appear to have
expired in 2004, but in reality they are completely legal.

So hey, go for it.

Right! Always encourage lawbreaking.

And I guess you always drive under the speed limit, right?

Old July 19th, 2006, 12:52 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
[email protected]

Old July 19th, 2006, 12:59 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
[email protected]

Sapphyre wrote:
wrote:
Any suggestions about what route I should
take or how I can avoid getting pulled over?

You can avoid being pulled over by having valid tags (which means your
car passes safety and is registered where you live). Or by renting and
towing your vehicle.

My mom bought a new car (Canada) and her tags expired, not sure how she
overlooked that, but they were only a few weeks out of date. $78 fine
and a day in court (that she had to take off work). Do you want to have
to deal with that crap if you're passing through a town/state you're
never going to go back to?

Let me put it this way, I drove 4200 miles in a rental this past June.
I did NOT speed. Why? Because the ticket would be a bitch, and I
wouldn't be able to fight it. They love to ticket out of state vehicles
for anything they can, because they know you're not going to return to
fight it. Not sure what they do if you just don't pay... but there's a
high probability you'll get more than just a ticket for having expired
plates, like uh, you won't be driving that vehicle for a while.

Really? That's really more of a urban legend. Hundreds of thousands
of cars are always travelling in states different from their home
state. A cop, looking for speeders, is not looking at tags. If a cop
zaps someone going too fast, he's going to go after the speeder,
regardless of the state on the tag.

I just hope you stayed in the right lane out of everyone else's way as
you freaked out hoping the cops wouldn't come after you for "anything
they can".

Old July 19th, 2006, 01:48 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Arif Khokar

Doug Smith W9WI wrote:

Doesn't Louisiana use renewal stickers? (I thought all 50 states did?)

West Virginia only uses a renewal sticker indicating the year. The
month is indicated by the first alphanumeric character of the license
plate (1 - 9, O, N, D). Assuming that the officer doesn't know about
that system, one could practically get away with not renewing
registration for almost a year (assuming one's registration expired Jan
1, 2006 and they were driving around with a 2006 sticker in late December).

I'm still not sure how they determine the month for custom plates.
Old July 19th, 2006, 01:52 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Dave Smith

Mike Tantillo wrote:

I assume you'd still have to do something to get the cop's attention in
order to prompt them to punch in the number. Unless they're literally
bringing up license plate info as they drive around "just for the fun
of it"...

Driving down the road punching in plates often leads to interesting findings. I
used to do it all the time.

Old July 19th, 2006, 02:03 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
sechumlib

On 2006-07-18 19:35:18 -0400, " said:

Here's another point of view - chances are, the cops won't notice.

It depends on what state you're coming from. It's doubtful the cops
have every state's tags memorized. It actually shouldn't be that hard.
Consider New Jersey - they stopped providing registration stickers in
2004. Many people are driving around with tags that appear to have
expired in 2004, but in reality they are completely legal.

So hey, go for it.

Right! Always encourage lawbreaking.

And I guess you always drive under the speed limit, right?

I gather you see no difference between slightly exceeding the speed
limit and driving without a valid registration or insurance. Both the
same scope of offense, right?