Travel Using Return Portion Only

Old March 22nd, 2009, 07:33 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Tom & Linda

Default Travel Using Return Portion Only

Is it possible to use only the return part of a round trip ticket?
A couple of my friends defaulted on their original flight home, and are now looking at one way tickets.
However, these are more expensive than both the original flight and the one i am going to use for myself in May.
They aren't looking for refunds on anything, but just dont like the idea of paying £100 - £150 extra for a one way, then the cost of
a return
My own gut reaction tells me its a no-no, but would like to ask some of the frequent flyers and experts on here.

Tom

Old March 22nd, 2009, 05:03 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Mar 22, 1:33*am, "Tom & Linda" wrote:
Is it possible to use only the return part of a round trip ticket?
A couple of my friends defaulted on their original flight home, and are now looking at one way tickets.
However, these are more expensive than both the original flight and the one i am going to use for myself in May.
They aren't looking for refunds on anything, but just dont like the idea of paying £100 - £150 extra for a one way, then the cost of
a return
My own gut reaction tells me its a no-no, but would like to ask some of the frequent flyers and experts on here.

Tom

Most likely no, as the airline would most likely cancel the return
portion of your ticket you do not show for first part.

Michael

Old March 22nd, 2009, 08:04 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Rik Brown[_109_]

Is it possible to use only the return part of a round trip ticket?

A couple of my friends defaulted on their original flight home, and are
now looking at one way tickets.If I understand correctly that they used their outbound portion as

booked and just haven't used their return portion due to an overstay, it
might be possible to still use the ticket. Just have them call the
airline to see.

Normally, if they overstayed their return date, they may be able to
just pay a change fee in accordance with the fare rules. Otherwise,
you'll sometimes find the ticket was composed of 2 one-way fares and
then the 2nd portion may be easier changed for a lesser fee than
expected.

But the best way to know the costs is to check with the airline (or a
travel agent who will likely tag on a fee to cover their expenses).

-- Rik

--
Rik Brown

Share your experiences in the forums, blogs, videos, and online
community at 'TRAVEL.com' (http://forums.TRAVEL.com).
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Old March 23rd, 2009, 06:13 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Rog'

"Tom & Linda" wrote:
Is it possible to use only the return part of a round trip ticket?
A couple of my friends defaulted on their original flight home,
and are now looking at one way tickets. However, these are
more expensive than both the original flight and the one I am
going to use for myself in May.
They aren't looking for refunds on anything, but just dont like
the idea of paying £100 - £150 extra for a one way, then the
cost of a return

---------------------------
So, they used the outbound, skipped out on the return, and now
want to know if the return ticket can somehow still be used, right?
There are two possibilities he
1. Yes, the airline might still let them change the return reservation,
even now, if they act fast (for a fee, of course).
B. No, becuz they failed to cancel the reservation prior to the
time of departure, they forfeited their right to make a change.

Which is it? Charlotte, there are two ways to find out:
a) Find the airline's website, look for conditions of changing or
cancelling a reservation, and see if there's still time.
2) Call the airline and ask. -- How brilliant is that!

Old March 23rd, 2009, 05:36 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Tom & Linda

"Rog'" wrote in message .. .
"Tom & Linda" wrote:
[...]

No, they are NOT thinking of either using the return portion again.
Neither will they be looking to get any refund on them, having already
been told thats a non starter
They are simply wishing to know if they buy return tickets, and just forget
about the outbound leg, and just turn up at the airport on the due date of
the inbould portion

Tom

Old March 23rd, 2009, 06:10 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Josh

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 17:36:38 -0000, "Tom & Linda"
wrote:

"Rog'" wrote in message .. .
"Tom & Linda" wrote:
[...]

Maybe we're getting caught up in terminology differences here, but why
wouldn't they buy a round-trip ticket the other way, and use the
*outbound* (first) leg, throwing away the return/inbound? That would
likely be fine, whereas not using the outbound will almost certainly
cancel the return/inbound.

This all notwithstanding the (considered by most illegal/invalid)
contract language that attempts to prevent it by dictating what you're
allowed to do after they transport you, or contractually forcing you
to use the rest of their product (even if you're sick, die, or just
have plans change).

Josh