Kenya Safari Advice Please

Old August 24th, 2005, 08:27 PM
ticktock

Default Kenya Safari Advice Please

My wife and I are planning to visit Kenya next year. Right now we are
looking at LION WORLD TRAVEL'S Kenya Highlights Safari. They do a 7
day safari for $1899 U.S., including airfare from New York. Their
itinerary is similar to what has been recommended by previous posters
to this forum, albeit several years ago. They visit AMBURU/ABERDARE
NATIONAL PARK, LAKE NAKURU and MASAI MARA.
Is there anyone out there that has experience or knows anything about
Lion World Travel? Any words of wisdom or advice would be appreciated.
Thank You,

Old August 24th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Geir Ertzgaard

On 2005-08-24 21:27:59 +0200, "ticktock" said:

My wife and I are planning to visit Kenya next year. Right now we are
looking at LION WORLD TRAVEL'S Kenya Highlights Safari. They do a 7
day safari for $1899 U.S., including airfare from New York. Their
itinerary is similar to what has been recommended by previous posters
to this forum, albeit several years ago. They visit AMBURU/ABERDARE
NATIONAL PARK, LAKE NAKURU and MASAI MARA.
Is there anyone out there that has experience or knows anything about
Lion World Travel? Any words of wisdom or advice would be appreciated.
Thank You,

Never heard of them, but I want to put in a good word for Mr. Mark Sang
and Serengeti Safaris. You have to arrange your own ticket to Nairobi,
but they can streamline the perfect safari for you in Kenya. They are
very nice and serious guys, their drivers are clever, knowledgeable and
kind, and they don't cost the world. Look up Mark Sang and Serengeti
Safaris on Google.
--
Geir Ertzgaard
http://www.ertzgaard.net

Old August 25th, 2005, 12:28 PM
ticktock

Chris,
I have heard that one can get much better prices if booked on location.
However, I am afraid of flying to Nairobi and finding all the safari
outfitters fully booked. Then I will be in trouble.

Old August 25th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On 24 Aug 2005 12:27:59 -0700, "ticktock"
wrote:

My wife and I are planning to visit Kenya next year. Right now we are
looking at LION WORLD TRAVEL'S Kenya Highlights Safari. They do a 7
day safari for $1899 U.S., including airfare from New York. Their
itinerary is similar to what has been recommended by previous posters
to this forum, albeit several years ago. They visit AMBURU/ABERDARE
NATIONAL PARK, LAKE NAKURU and MASAI MARA.
Is there anyone out there that has experience or knows anything about
Lion World Travel? Any words of wisdom or advice would be appreciated.

The itinerary looks good for a first time visit. I don't know
Lion World Travels though.

If the price is acceptable, why not? You'll probably get a few
more hints at what to look out for, and for some general
information, like a packing check list, have a look at
http://www.michna.com/kenya.htm .

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old August 25th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Dave Patterson

Lion World is a real company, all right.
The prices on their web pages indicate small
profit margins, so they depend on volume.
The trip you are considering includes only
6 game drives. 3 @ Nakuru and 3 in the eastern
part of the Masai Mara. Kenya is a helluva long
way to go for just 6 game drives, no matter
how inexpensive the trip is.

It does include a lot of time on the road;
half-day from Nakuru to Mara.
6 hours from Mara back to Nairobi.
But all the properties are good ones.

Old August 25th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Liz

In message .com
"ticktock" wrote:

Chris,
I have heard that one can get much better prices if booked on location.
However, I am afraid of flying to Nairobi and finding all the safari
outfitters fully booked. Then I will be in trouble.

It's not so likely, really.
And you can always get a tailor-made for you and your travelling
companion/s, though expensive if on your own, not so if travelling
with at least one other.
However, that is best booked in advance to save time.
Also, some tour companies have good deals with the airline, so you can
save on the total.
It's worth looking around, and remember, cheaper isn't always best
(e.g. be careful how many they're going to pack into a vehicle: some
cheap trips pack nine into a minibus.)
Read the small print very, *very* carefully.

Safari njema

Liz

--
Virtual Liz now at http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos
Old August 26th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Pat Anderson

In message .com,
ticktock writes
My wife and I are planning to visit Kenya next year. Right now we are
looking at LION WORLD TRAVEL'S Kenya Highlights Safari. They do a 7
day safari for $1899 U.S., including airfare from New York. Their
itinerary is similar to what has been recommended by previous posters
to this forum, albeit several years ago. They visit AMBURU/ABERDARE
NATIONAL PARK, LAKE NAKURU and MASAI MARA.
Is there anyone out there that has experience or knows anything about
Lion World Travel? Any words of wisdom or advice would be appreciated.
Thank You,

I note you are not going to Kenya till next year but there may be one
important thing to think about, in the Kenya press today either in the
Daily Nation or Standard, the Kenya Tourism Board are reporting up to
100% bed occupancy. They are having to find extra beds in order to
accommodate tourists. The safari drivers are working flat out. This is
great news for Kenya and the tide may have changed at last.
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson
Old August 26th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Liz

In message
Pat Anderson wrote:

I note you are not going to Kenya till next year but there may be one
important thing to think about, in the Kenya press today either in the
Daily Nation or Standard, the Kenya Tourism Board are reporting up to
100% bed occupancy. They are having to find extra beds in order to
accommodate tourists. The safari drivers are working flat out. This is
great news for Kenya and the tide may have changed at last.

That's good news indeed.
Thanks for keeping us up to date, Pat.

Slainte

Liz
Old August 27th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Pat Anderson

In message , Liz
writes
In message
Pat Anderson wrote:

I note you are not going to Kenya till next year but there may be one
important thing to think about, in the Kenya press today either in the
Daily Nation or Standard, the Kenya Tourism Board are reporting up to
100% bed occupancy. They are having to find extra beds in order to
accommodate tourists. The safari drivers are working flat out. This is
great news for Kenya and the tide may have changed at last.

That's good news indeed.
Thanks for keeping us up to date, Pat.

Slainte

Liz

Hi Liz,
I usually read the Kenya newspapers online every day.
You can check out Coastweek as there is also a report in yesterday`s
edition. You probably know it`s a weekly paper for the coast. There is
also a story there about a driver who rescued a French surgeon-- read
it for yourself! I won`t say here who or what he was rescued from. The
tourist trade seems to be picking up at last but there are still some
problems.
http://www.coastweek.com
Cheers,
Pat.