question

Old March 12th, 2005, 09:10 PM
rockoutgirl8

Default question

i am traveling to australia soon and i wanted to know what the locals
think about their hometown newspaper for brisbane in queensland?

Old March 12th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Geoff Lillico

It is good for wrapping fish and chip in!

The Commissioner

www.the-commissioner.com

oups.com...

Old March 12th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Roger & Lorraine Martin

It is good for wrapping fish and chip in!

I reckon all of the regional newspapers are much the same - The Age (good
for tearing into strips and leaving in the dunny), Sydney Morning Herald
(just put this straight into the compost bin its so full of ****e), The
Advertiser (ink runs too much for use in the dunny) , Courier Mail (buy it
for the chance to win houses / boats / cars) - all report "man bites dog"
stories.

Once the footy season starts expect front page stories to include stories
that the local hero has strained a muscle in his groin whilst pulling up his
shorts!!

Try The Australian for at least a reasonable coverage of national and
international news.

end of rant.

I liked The Commissioner. How about a name change to the Fat Controller?

Old March 13th, 2005, 02:20 AM
A Mate

The Courier Mail is tabloid in content, but disguised as a broadsheet. It's
a Murdoch paper and becoming increasingly partisan in its coverage of things
political.

The Australian is a little better, but it's also a Murdoch paper and going
the same way as the Courier. The AFR (Australian Financial Review), a
Fairfax paper is mure balanced, - it carries general news, though its
emphasis is financial!!

Old March 13th, 2005, 02:33 AM

I occasionally give slide-show lectures from a 2001 trip, the end of which
coincided with the 9/11 attacks. Sort of makes an ending which is
universally intelligible. The introductory to that part of the show is,
"Many of you will recall there was only one story on September 11, 2001, and
the second-coming headlines of that criminal day." I then click to the next
slide, which is a broadsheet of the Adelaide Advertiser screaming:

"FREE BEER."

(Okay, so it was a month or so earlier and a story about how overcharging
could compel publicans to make it up to the patrons. Sue me for literary
license.)

Old March 13th, 2005, 06:34 AM
Jeff

"rockoutgirl8" wrote in message
oups.com...
i am traveling to australia soon and i wanted to know what the locals
think about their hometown newspaper for brisbane in queensland?

i am wondering why a traveller would want to know that information.
anyhow i like our paper in Brisbane,,,

Old March 14th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Burke&Wills

Indeed. I remember watching Johnny Howard's sycophantic ravings on ABC the
night of 9/11, Australian time........and waking up to hysterics on the
morning of 9/12 (or 12/9 if you insist)

"Joseph McDonnell" wrote in message

I occasionally give slide-show lectures from a 2001 trip, the end of
which
coincided with the 9/11 attacks. Sort of makes an ending which is
universally intelligible. The introductory to that part of the show is,
"Many of you will recall there was only one story on September 11, 2001,
and
the second-coming headlines of that criminal day." I then click to the
next
slide, which is a broadsheet of the Adelaide Advertiser screaming:

"FREE BEER."

Egad, I feel forced into defending the Adelaide Advertiser which used to
be a
half-decent newspaper (many years ago - certainly in comparison to The
News,
it's rival), but is now total crap. But still...

Adelaide is currently 15 and a half hours ahead of New York. Depending on
DST,
this might drop to 13 and a half hours. The first plane hit at 8:45 New
York
time. The time in Adelaide was therefore 10:15pm (or 12:15am 10/11
depending on
DST). Either way, it'd be difficult for the Adelaide Advertiser (a morning
paper) to cover it in its 9/11 edition!

The worst case of 'poor' headlines I ever saw in an edition of the
unlamented
News. The front page had a headline as big as it could get which read
"Michael
speaks out" where "Michael" referred to Michael Chamberlain whose daughter
Azaria was taken by a dingo at Ayer's Rock. And what did Michael have to
say? "I
have nothing to say"

I kid you not.

Joseph

Old March 14th, 2005, 09:38 PM
rockoutgirl8

because i am a journalism major and since i am traveling to australia
might as well get to know how the media differs from the u.s.

Old March 14th, 2005, 09:39 PM
rockoutgirl8

why do you find that the local paper is "crappy"? are they biased, not
enough information...?