Pubs in Scotland for non smokers

Old February 15th, 2006, 01:10 PM posted to soc.culture.scottish,rec.travel.europe

Default Pubs in Scotland for non smokers

Following up to "a.spencer3" :

And to you, too. What's your problem with 'all or nothing' choice for
establishments, customers and staff?

That's more-or less how it is at the moment. Any pub could have enforced a
no-smoking rule, I'm sure. They just couldn't be bothered, for whatever
reason.
--
Tim C.
Old February 15th, 2006, 01:11 PM posted to soc.culture.scottish,rec.travel.europe

a.spencer3 wrote:

"AJC" wrote in message

[]
As a dedicasted non-smoker I can't work out why a publican should not
be able to choose for him or herself whether or not their business
operates a no-smoking policy. The nanny state marches on.
--==++AJC++==--

Precisely.
And customers and staff could select which they wish to visit/work in.

For once, all of the people would have been made happy all of the time.

But, as someone else posted, now a considerable proportion have been
shafted.

You can lay the blame entirely at the feet of publicans and
restauranteurs who, in many cases, have made almost attempt to
accomodate the _majority_ of their customers- i.e. have better, bigger,
properly ventilated non-smoking areas. They couldn't be bothered because
they didn't have to. They figured, correctly up to a point, that the
non-smoking population were willing to put up with having smoke blown in
their face, because they had no other choice. Of course, there are other
people (like myself) who hardly ever go to pubs precisely _because_ of
the smoke. I'm more inclined to go to one as of next year!

I can't give up being a fairly heavy smoker after nearly 50 years of
'indulging'.

So go outside the pub and have a cigarette. No one is stopping you.

So now I can't go into my local pub

Yes you can, except many others will be able to do so as well!

- the absolute social centre of our
village - or into any restaurant, or to meetings of various
social/interest/service clubs that I've belonged to for 30 years or more -
for some of which I'm the Hon. Secretary, nor can I do anything but work for
myself at home - which. luckily, I have done for more than 30 years.

Unbelievable.

Those social centres will survive.

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
Old February 15th, 2006, 01:12 PM posted to soc.culture.scottish,rec.travel.europe

Following up to "a.spencer3" :

How would you feel if you couldn't go into a pub or restaurant unless you
did smoke?

It's not the same thing. You are Mixi aicmfp.
Making someone do something is not the same as not allowing them to do it.
--
Tim C.
Old February 15th, 2006, 01:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Martin wrote:

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 13:00:39 GMT, "a.spencer3"
wrote:

No-one's objecting to having 'all or nothing' choice for establishments.
What's your problem with that?

The Dutch bars and restaurants are in the throws of a voluntary system
as an alternative to legislation. It has made no difference at all.

It never does. It was funny to hear the head of a smokers' rights
organisation on the radio last night calling for properly ventilated
areas in pubs! If the pubs had done so a decade ago, do you really think
we'd have had the kind of legislation we do now?

Old February 15th, 2006, 01:15 PM posted to soc.culture.scottish,rec.travel.europe

Following up to "a.spencer3" :

Did smokers ever suggest that non-smokers would be welcome as long as they
smoked? For Gawd's sake .....

We do already. After an evening down the pub, sore throat, stinking hair
and clothes, second-hand smoke. And we don't have to pay for a single
cigarette. Wonderful.
--
Tim C.
Old February 15th, 2006, 01:18 PM posted to soc.culture.scottish,rec.travel.europe

a.spencer3 wrote:

[]
How would you feel if you couldn't go into a pub or restaurant unless you
did smoke?

That's how it feels to me now. Selfish smokers and lazy publicans only
have themselves to blame for this.

Old February 15th, 2006, 01:23 PM posted to soc.culture.scottish,rec.travel.europe

"a.spencer3" wrote in message

"Lesley Robertson" wrote in message
l...

"a.spencer3" wrote in message

So now I can't go into my local pub -

You CAN go into the pub, you just can't smoke when you're in there.
Surely
you have periods when you don't have a ciggie in your mouth?
Lesley Robertson

Not for a whole bloody evening in relaxed, social conditions.
I suspect non-smokers just don't realise ...
How would you feel if you couldn't go into a pub or restaurant unless you
did smoke?

That's how it's always been. Someone always lights up at the next table.
Perhaps you could turn your comment around " I suspect smokers just don't
realise ..."? The point is that if someone is smoking, it's inflicted on
everyone.
Lesley Robertson

Old February 15th, 2006, 01:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Martin wrote:

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 13:13:45 +0000,
(David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and

wrote:

No-one's objecting to having 'all or nothing' choice for establishments.
What's your problem with that?

The Dutch bars and restaurants are in the throws of a voluntary system
as an alternative to legislation. It has made no difference at all.

It never does. It was funny to hear the head of a smokers' rights
organisation on the radio last night calling for properly ventilated
areas in pubs! If the pubs had done so a decade ago, do you really think
we'd have had the kind of legislation we do now?

So how will the law apply to ferries flagged in UK?

I wondered about that, when I read that other post of yours. It may not
apply at all- I don't know. I seem to recall that in the US, when a boat
gets into what is considered international waters, that most local laws
don't apply- hence why you get gambling cruises, all-night drinking etc.
on some of those services.

Old February 15th, 2006, 01:25 PM posted to soc.culture.scottish,rec.travel.europe

"Tim C." wrote in message
Following up to "a.spencer3" :

How would you feel if you couldn't go into a pub or restaurant unless you
did smoke?

It's not the same thing. You are Mixi aicmfp.
Making someone do something is not the same as not allowing them to do it.
--

I was by no means suggesting that, as you well know. I was trying to get an
ounce of understanding into you.

Surreyman

Old February 15th, 2006, 01:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 13:01:00 GMT, "a.spencer3"
wrote:

"Lesley Robertson" wrote in message
. nl...

"a.spencer3" wrote in message

So now I can't go into my local pub -

You CAN go into the pub, you just can't smoke when you're in there.

Surely
you have periods when you don't have a ciggie in your mouth?
Lesley Robertson

Not for a whole bloody evening in relaxed, social conditions.

I suspect non-smokers just don't realise ...

Did you ever consider how many people you might be upsetting with your
cigarette smoke?

Again, what's your beef with 'all or nothing' choice by establishments and
thus customers and staff?

Surreyman