Double pricing system in Thailand

Old January 8th, 2007, 08:27 AM posted to soc.culture.thai,soc.culture.malaysia,soc.culture.singapore,rec.travel.asia
Hetjman-Slobo-Varman

Default Double pricing system in Thailand

fake Komin is positng again

fake komin = Komin -Complaints - To":'groups - abuse @
google .com

Komin "veakrin*gmail.com
X-Complaints-To:" wrote:
"Bangkok Bint" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey:

I live in Thailand, have been here for 4 years and yes, I do often pay
more than the Thais. So what?? I was teaching for 3 years at a
private bilingual school here and my salary was EIGHT times higher
than a Thai teachers'. I got 3 weeks MORE vacation than they did and a
heck of a lot less hassle by my boss. So, nope, I don't mind that I
have to pay more.

Good to hear your generosity Michelle (C'est gentil de vous)

The best way to get the Thai price is to have your thai friend doing the
talking for you, do not even show up until the price is agreed.

Oh and as far as 'Bangkok being done' because of the bombings.
Please.....things are going on as normal here, there are thousands of
tourists still here, thousands more on their way. It's not dangerous
here, it never has been. I will walk around anywhere in Bangkok on my
own late at night (and I"m female) but I would never walk in most
places in Los Angeles on my own once it went dark. There's the
difference.

Michelle
http://www.bkkbint.com

Old January 8th, 2007, 02:39 PM posted to soc.culture.thai,soc.culture.malaysia,soc.culture.singapore,rec.travel.asia
Tim

On 7 Jan 2007 22:37:56 -0800, "Bangkok Bint"
wrote:

What it all boils down to is this - if you are honestly quibbling that
you have to pay $4 for a t shirt when a Thai is getting that same shirt
for $2 then STAY HOME and buy your stuff from major American
conglomerates that are ripping you off every time you turn around.

What is your deal with large corporations? They do well because of the
economy of scale, just as you posted about getting a better price due
to your volume purchase. They also have a lower markup due to the
volume sales. How is that ripping people off? It isn't like they are
paying say $1.50 for a t-shirt and selling it for $19-$20. You might
want to re-examine the things you think you know and decide if they
fit with the real world reality.

Your welcome to your opinion on dual pricing. I see it as an issue
that can be viewed validly from either side. You have, however, no
credibility with me in your ability to view issues reasonably,
rationally or even honestly.

Tim

I wish I didn't know now
what I didn't know then.
Old January 9th, 2007, 12:55 AM posted to soc.culture.thai,soc.culture.malaysia,soc.culture.singapore,rec.travel.asia
Tchiowa

wrote:

[...]

That was kind of a wierd thing to say, wasn't it?

The point I am trying to get across regarding dual pricing is that
while there are valid arguments on both sides and while it certainly
****es some people off, it is *not* a tourism issue. Tourists simply
are unaware 99.992% of the time.

The letters usually contain at least one lie. It's not "a tourist...."
that's part of the story, it's "a long time visa runner...." who is
usually the main character. Those are the ones who are ****ed off about
the dual pricing. They know about it and, rightly or wrongly, they
don't like it. They don't want their letters to acknowledge their
status because that brings in the argument as to whether or not they
should even be here. So they say "Gee, a tourist goes to a national
park and sees dual pricing .... and tourism wil suffer" which is a
crock. That was the point of my previous post.

Old January 9th, 2007, 03:10 AM posted to soc.culture.thai,soc.culture.malaysia,soc.culture.singapore,rec.travel.asia
Tim

wrote:

[...]

Not sure if you think I was replying to you or not but to clarify, my
comments were directed at bangkokbint.

Tim

I wish I didn't know now
what I didn't know then.
Old January 9th, 2007, 03:12 AM posted to soc.culture.thai,soc.culture.malaysia,soc.culture.singapore,rec.travel.asia
Tchiowa

wrote:

[...]

I know. I was just adding more comments in general.