Singapore

Old December 4th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Alan Street

In article ,
wrote:

€ I just wonder why the hell anyone would even bother to go to sentosa.
€ that is one hell of a fake, man made tourist trap if there ever was
€ one. Save your time/money and go to malaysia or thailand instead. you
€ will be glad you did.
€

During a stopover in Singapore?

The OP only has a few hours.

€
€ On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 12:10:05 +0000, novita77
€ wrote:
€
€
€ Shooting now!
€
€ Any idea how much a taxi will cost from airport to Sentosa?
€ Can taxis drive into Sentosa?
€
€ I've actually been there last year,but did the MRT/cable car
€ thing.....but this time will have lots of luggage with us......
€
€ I guess another option will be the Singapore Stopover desk at the
€ airport....from memory they can arrange transfers.....for a fee
€ of course.
€
€ Thanks for your help.....
€
€ Biker
€
€ Sorry for late respond. I think Alan already answer ur question. If u hv
€ lots of luggage it will be easier to take taxi. But then again what are
€ u going to do with ur luggage in Sentosa. Won't be much fun walking
€ around the island with ur luggage. Except if u stay in the island...
€ (they hv Shangri-La Hotel, Beuforth Hotel or something like that last
€ time i remember).
€
€ I am not sure wether u can leave ur luggage in the airport. Probably
€ worth to try to ask around. Much more easier for u going to sentosa
€ without ur luggage.
€
€ Taking taxi to sentosa will be possible. But I think there is an
€ extra entrace fee for charges for it. If I am not mistaken about 3
€ or 4 yrs ago is 12 dollar or something like that. Sorry if this info
€ not accurate.
€
€ If u do staying in the hotel... why don't u ask the hotel to pick u up
€ in the airport??? Even with a transfer fee i would say will be more
€ convenience for u.
€

Old December 4th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Alan Street

In article , novita77
wrote:

€ €
€
€ Hi Alan...
€
€ Everything in Singapore is man made. From Sentosa, Singapore Zoo, Night
€ Safari, etc etc. I don't think Singapore have natural tourist object
€ like Indo, Thailand or Malaysia. Even the sand in Sentosa Beach imported
€ from Indonesia.
€
€ But still... I admire the singapore campaign to attract tourist.
€ They always have things going one every month, loads of exhibition
€ and others.
€
€ Sadly... I will be one of the trapped tourist. Keep going back there to
€ visit. :-)))

I lived there in 2000/01 and am well aware of how artificial and
superficial it can be (for example, I was there a few months ago when
they "attempted to break the world record" for the world's longest
satay line. Obviously they "succeeded" since all they had to do was
make it as long as they wanted. Nothing really noteworthy, but people
got into it anyway). Still, I liked living there, and may be moving
back in the near future. I don't think of Singapore as a holiday
destination, but I can understand how someone with a few hours to kill
on a layover might want to do the tourist thing. Visiting Sentosa would
be a little more interesting than hanging around Changi for 10~12
hours, especially if you've already hung around Changi once or twice
before.

Alan
Old December 5th, 2004, 04:24 AM
RAK

"Biker" wrote in message
m...

Hi all.....am stopping over in Singapore for a couple of days.....can
anyone tell me how to get to Sentosa Island from the
airport....preferably by public transport?

Also...I heard that a fast food outlet in Orchard road had a "snowstorm"
display every night at about 7pm.....anyone know whereabouts exactly??

Check out the MRT from the airport... but dont know if it goes to Sentosa.
Left luggage at the airport is around S$4/bag/

I don't know if this is your snowstorm: A month or so back I was at the
car-park hawkers restaurant area near Somerset MRT in the evening, maybe
atound 7-8. A fast food place on the other side of Orchard almost
disappeared in a cloud of steam/smoke. We thought it was something weird
with their a/c but maybe it was supposed to be a dry ice "snowstorm".
The hawker place is fun by the way - a reproduction of the original car park
hawkers food are of the 1970s; even some of the original 70s stall holders
have set up there. I think it is open until early 2005.

Old December 5th, 2004, 04:52 AM
Miguel Cruz

Alan Street wrote:
I don't think of Singapore as a holiday destination, but I can understand
how someone with a few hours to kill on a layover might want to do the
tourist thing. Visiting Sentosa would be a little more interesting than
hanging around Changi for 10~12 hours, especially if you've already hung
around Changi once or twice before.

But visiting Little India would be about 10 times more interesting than
visiting Sentosa.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Old December 5th, 2004, 08:47 AM
Markku Grφnroos

"Miguel Cruz" kirjoitti viestissδ

But visiting Little India would be about 10 times more interesting than
visiting Sentosa.

Or the bird park or the botanical garden or the colonial neigbourhood
straddling the river mouth or the fancy department stores along Orchard
Road - especially the Takashimaya or the southern rim of a park east from
the city all the way to Changi. Sentosa is also a place worth a visit. For
instance riding the miniature train gives a nice view around.

Old December 5th, 2004, 03:24 PM

talking about getting hung in Singapore
(disneyland-with-the-death-penalty), why not visit the nearby Changi
Prison to view the exhibits on various methods and intruments used in
meting out the public whipping of criminals in Singapore? THAT is
truly world class and not to be missed!