Vietnam

Old October 24th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Miguel Cruz

Thomas F. Unke wrote:
"Michael Sherman/msphoto" writes:
ever. Check out my vietnam pix at www.msphoto.ca

Great photos on the entry page.

But unfortunately I cannot see the rest as your site needs java. And
no, I'm not going to install this for good reasons.

I'm fairly certain I have Java turned on, and it still didn't work for me.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu

Old October 24th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Martin Gerken

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 22:50:35 GMT, Thomas F. Unke
wrote:

I will have 12 days to visit Vietnam in December. What would be the
highlights (cultural, nature, cities, beaches?) and what route would
you recommend for these 12 days, starting from either Hanoi or
Saigon ?

That's a bit short. I'd start with Saigon, visit the Mekong Delta for
a few days and travel up to Hoi An. I wasn't impressed by the beaches
(esp. Nha Trang was a disappointment) so you may skip that.

MuiNe has a gorgeous beach!

Another option is a tour in the north, but it may be cold there in
December.

Don't miss HaLong bay!
I'd suggest Hue, HoiAn, Hanoi.
Skip Saigon.

Travel by plane and don't waste your time on a bus!

cu, Martin
--
Ubi bene ibi Colonia!
ROT13 for email:
Old October 24th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Martin Gerken

wrote:

I will have 12 days to visit Vietnam in December. What would be the
highlights (cultural, nature, cities, beaches?) and what route would
you recommend for these 12 days, starting from either Hanoi or
Saigon ?

That's a bit short. I'd start with Saigon, visit the Mekong Delta for
a few days and travel up to Hoi An. I wasn't impressed by the beaches
(esp. Nha Trang was a disappointment) so you may skip that.

MuiNe has a gorgeous beach!

Another option is a tour in the north, but it may be cold there in
December.

HaLong Bay should not be missed.

I'd suggest travelling by plane - with that many time you don't want to
spend it on a bus.

cu, Martin
--
Ubi bene ibi Colonia!
ROT13 for email:
Old October 24th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Alfred Molon

In article , Martin Gerken says...

Don't miss HaLong bay!

Actually you can have the same scenery in the Pha Nga bay, northwest of
Krabi, Thailand. Warmer, no fog and sunshine in December.

I'd suggest Hue, HoiAn, Hanoi.
Skip Saigon.

Well, I was thinking to skip the north (except for a brief visit to
Hanoi) and focus on the south.
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Austria, Prague,
Budapest and Portugal
Old October 24th, 2004, 08:58 PM

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 15:00:55 GMT, "Michael Sherman/msphoto"
wrote:

Here is the direct link to the page. http://www.msphoto.ca/Vietnam.htm
You do need to have java installed.

Wow, beautiful photos! What camera/film did you use?
Old October 25th, 2004, 05:02 AM
Michael Sherman/msphoto

I use Nikon equipment and most of the recent images on my site were shot on
Kodak VS100 transparency film or Fuji Provia 400. I scan my slides with a
Nikon Coolscan 4000.
PS re the Java questions: I'm not any kind of computer expert but my
understanding is that Windows used to ship its browser software with Java
included. Then Microsoft got into a dispute about its usage with Sun
Microsystems who make Java . So some recent versions of Windows were shipped
without the java included. The Java navigation buttons on my site are pretty
basic stuff and Java technology is very widespread on the internet. I'm
not sure if the two parties have now sorted out their problems but if you
want to download the basic Java module, what you need is called the Java 2
runtime environment or JRE and it is available as a simple free download
from www.java.com.

Old October 25th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Miguel Cruz

Thomas F. Unke wrote:
I suggest that you make your site viewable for all people, not needing
any downloads.

Java on a website has rarely any justification.

Aside from a few specialized interactive applications, I'd go much farther
than that - in my experience, it pretty much invariably makes the web site
much worse. It's slow, has all sorts of compatibility issues, and creates an
unpredictable user experience with amateurish interface elements that only
serve to confuse and alienate visitors.

I say this without having been able to access the msphoto site, so don't
take it that I'm passing judgment on your (not you, Thomas, of course)
interface design. But the incompatibility problem is clear enough.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Old October 25th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Alfred Molon

In article , Miguel Cruz says...

Aside from a few specialized interactive applications, I'd go much farther
than that - in my experience, it pretty much invariably makes the web site
much worse. It's slow, has all sorts of compatibility issues, and creates an
unpredictable user experience with amateurish interface elements that only
serve to confuse and alienate visitors.

I say this without having been able to access the msphoto site, so don't
take it that I'm passing judgment on your (not you, Thomas, of course)
interface design. But the incompatibility problem is clear enough.

It depends...

Look at my site. There is a Javascript drop down menu on the top left,
which allows you to quickly access every single gallery on the site.
Sort of a site map. Without Javascript this couldn't be done.

You can also navigate the site with Java switched off, but to reach a
gallery deep down in the hierarchy you have to go through all
intermediate levels.

Old October 25th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Miguel Cruz

Alfred Molon wrote:
Miguel Cruz says...
Aside from a few specialized interactive applications, I'd go much farther
than that - in my experience, it pretty much invariably makes the web site
much worse. It's slow, has all sorts of compatibility issues, and creates an
unpredictable user experience with amateurish interface elements that only
serve to confuse and alienate visitors.

I say this without having been able to access the msphoto site, so don't
take it that I'm passing judgment on your (not you, Thomas, of course)
interface design. But the incompatibility problem is clear enough.

It depends...

Look at my site. There is a Javascript drop down menu on the top left,
which allows you to quickly access every single gallery on the site.
Sort of a site map. Without Javascript this couldn't be done.

It could, but it wouldn't look as pretty and would require an additional
click.

But that's Javascript, not Java. 100% different things (though frustratingly
with confusing overlapping names). Javascript is often abused but at least
it has many redeeming uses (such as yours). Java in web sites, on the other
hand, is just bad news.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Old October 25th, 2004, 10:24 PM
bia34

something wrong with both your web sites. Couple years ago the Molon
pictures were big enogh for my 17" screen background, but now they shrink,
no longer good for screen background. How come?(cost of gassoline too high
for transport? Or you want me to switch to 13" monitor or lower screen
resolution?) Mig changed his web page last year, my IE 6 no longer can see
any picture, just white blank pages (java and everything enabled or promt).
No clue what happened? But I can see his pics with netscape browser.

Same old pics mostly, few newer ones. Have you both stoped traveling? Road
weary? Or Bush administration cut spending? BTW, that pic with girls in
cheap pants, shorts and tee shirts and colorful head gear in chienmai is
July 31, 2004 dress, definately not traditional dress.

In article , Miguel Cruz says...