How backpackers carry money in SE Asia?

Old August 4th, 2006, 02:55 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Manfred Aigner

Default How backpackers carry money in SE Asia?

bob wrote:
[..]
I have a good friend from Sumatra named Nyoman.

It is most unlikely.

Why? He may have moved there from...another island.

That does not yet explain the friend relation ;-)
Old August 4th, 2006, 03:20 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Matthew Brealey

Pete Loud wrote:
Hi Tchiowa,

I have a good friend from Sumatra named Nyoman. What can you tell me
about him, Mr. Indonesian Culture?

For you to have "good friend" Nyoman in Sumatra suggests to me that Nyoman
must be a gay who you picked up on the beach in Bali and you took back to
Sumatra to live with you.

Um, what?

Why should he be gay? Is Nyoman a gay name?

FWIW, I know a Sumatran bencong (from Aceh) who went the other way, and
now lives in Bali. Apparently the Hindu Balinese weren't as keen on
ladyboys as the Muslims in Sumatra, so he stopped cross-dressing, and
is now just effeminate. He has a German boyfriend and a baby bought
from a Balinese woman who didn't want it.

I see no reason why somebody shouldn't have a friend called Nyoman in
Sumatra, though I'm not sure what you were expected to know about some
random person in Sumatra.

Old August 4th, 2006, 03:27 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Pete Loud[_1_]

Nyoman has two elder siblings that he calls, "Yan" and "De". Their full
names are Wayan and Made.

The first born Balinese child is called Wayan, (or perhaps Putu)
The second is Made, (perhaps Kadek or Nengah)
the third Nyoman, (or Komang)
and the fourth Ketut.
then they start again with Wayan.

I wonder if Tchiowa knew that?

So Tchiowa was trying to be a clever bugger and hoping to catch me out, as a
Nyoman wouldn't come from Sumatra.

Cheers,

Mr. Indonesian Culture ;-)
www.peteloud.co.uk/indonesia/

"Pete Loud" wrote in message
Hi Miguel,

Ooh, ooh, can I answer that? Though it seems an uncommon scenario, from
what I've seen.

Ahh, but do you know the names of his two elder brothers?

I hope you've checked out my photos ;-)
www.peteloud.co.uk/photos/

Cheers,

Pete Loud

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
"Tchiowa" wrote:
I have a good friend from Sumatra named Nyoman. What can you tell me
about him, Mr. Indonesian Culture?

Ooh, ooh, can I answer that? Though it seems an uncommon scenario, from
what I've seen.

miguel
--
Photos from 40 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Malaysia; Thailand; Singapore; Spain; Morocco

Old August 4th, 2006, 03:59 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
bob

"Pete Loud" wrote in message
Nyoman has two elder siblings that he calls, "Yan" and "De". Their full
names are Wayan and Made.

The first born Balinese child is called Wayan, (or perhaps Putu)

you forgot Gede

--
Bob

Travel and Astronomy Photos
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bomo

Old August 4th, 2006, 04:05 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Matthew Brealey

Pete Loud wrote:
Nyoman has two elder siblings that he calls, "Yan" and "De". Their full
names are Wayan and Made.

The first born Balinese child is called Wayan, (or perhaps Putu)
The second is Made, (perhaps Kadek or Nengah)
the third Nyoman, (or Komang)
and the fourth Ketut.
then they start again with Wayan.

I wonder if Tchiowa knew that?

So Tchiowa was trying to be a clever bugger and hoping to catch me out, as a
Nyoman wouldn't come from Sumatra.

Errrrm. People from Bali are allowed to live elsewhere. I know of
Bataks in Irian Jaya, Javanese in Sumatra, etc... They still keep their
local language, names, etc., despite living on another island.

It's pretty much guaranteed that there is a Nyoman in Sumatra.

Old August 6th, 2006, 04:40 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Tchiowa

Pete Loud wrote:
Nyoman has two elder siblings that he calls, "Yan" and "De". Their full
names are Wayan and Made.

The first born Balinese child is called Wayan, (or perhaps Putu)
The second is Made, (perhaps Kadek or Nengah)
the third Nyoman, (or Komang)
and the fourth Ketut.
then they start again with Wayan.

I wonder if Tchiowa knew that?

So Tchiowa was trying to be a clever bugger and hoping to catch me out, as a
Nyoman wouldn't come from Sumatra.

No, but he lives in Sumatra now.

Very good.

Old August 6th, 2006, 06:28 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
marika[_2_]

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 23:43:29 -0400, Tchiowa wrote:

Pete Loud wrote:
Hi Tchiowa,

I have a good friend from Sumatra named Nyoman. What can you tell me
about him, Mr. Indonesian Culture?

For you to have "good friend" Nyoman in Sumatra suggests to me that
Nyoman
must be a gay who you picked up on the beach in Bali and you took back
Sumatra to live with you.

Actually he was my boss when I was working in Sumatra for 2 years.

You seem to really be into the gay culture.

It's not very well accepted in Indonesia. Suggest you move to San
Francisco where you'll be happier.

And you can live on the streets in the Richmond District and tell
people you're doing that because you want to learn their culture.

san francisco tends to be soggy due to fog and rain.
is sumatra good or soggy?
Old August 6th, 2006, 09:30 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Matthew Brealey

Tchiowa wrote:
Pete Loud wrote:
Hi Tchiowa,

I have a good friend from Sumatra named Nyoman. What can you tell me
about him, Mr. Indonesian Culture?

For you to have "good friend" Nyoman in Sumatra suggests to me that Nyoman
must be a gay who you picked up on the beach in Bali and you took back to
Sumatra to live with you.

Actually he was my boss when I was working in Sumatra for 2 years.

You seem to really be into the gay culture.

It's not very well accepted in Indonesia.

I guess all those transvestites walking around were a figment of my
imagination....