Dutch Money

Old February 8th, 2011, 03:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

Default Payment by card in Germany

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 15:33:48 +0000 (UTC), Erilar wrote in post :

:

"Tim C." wrote:
On Thu, 3 Feb 2011 15:21:37 +0000 (UTC), Erilar wrote in post :

:

Despite the time I've spent there in the last few decades, I've never had a
German credit or debit card.

You've never had a Bankomat card? I find that hard to believe.

For periods of 2-4 weeks? I' ve described what I've done over time.

Sorry I saw nothing in:...
[...
Despite the time I've spent there in the last few decades, I've never had a
German credit or debit card. When I studied there in the 70's, I had a
bank account for my stipendium and rent, but otherwise used cash. Then
there was a stretch where travelers' checks could actually be used in
stores, at least for fairly substantial purchases(books, etc). Then they
could only be cashed in a bank. Finally it was all credit cards. I have
encountered signs requiring a certain minimum purchase for cards, however.
When I say "small" purchases, I am referring to purchases that would not
reach this level.
....]

....that led me to believe it was only for a couple of weeks at a time.

--
Tim C.
Why are there snakes on my windscreen? Those are my vipers.
Old February 8th, 2011, 03:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

Default Dutch Money

On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 11:40:20 +0100, Josef Kleber wrote in post :
:

Q: How broad are The Netherlands?
A: Two tank hours!

lol!

--
Tim C.
I was reading the obituary column in the paper the other day and it said
Old February 8th, 2011, 04:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Josef Kleber

Am 08.02.2011 17:00, schrieb Giovanni Drogo:
On Tue, 8 Feb 2011, Johannes Kleese wrote:

Yes, Lastschrift (usually direct debit in English, since November 2010
SEPA within Euroland).

I guess SEPA comes in two flavours, not sure if they could be called
"direct debit" and "direct credit". The last one is equivalent to what
we call "bonifico" in italian. In fact the SEPA payment onto somebody
else's account of which you know the IBAN coordinates is commonly called
"bonifico europeo unico" meaning it applies to a inter-european
transaction the same fees used for a domestic "bonifico".

Yes, that's a "Überweisung" in german. The difference is that in this
case you order your bank to transfer the money. With a Lastschrift the
shop asks its bank to contact the customer's bank to transfer the money.
So you don't have to became active yourself. Just sign the bon.
The main difference is that with a Überweisung the money is gone. No way
to call back. If there is a problem you have to contact the
person/company for refund.
With a Lastschrift you just contact your bank. In my online account it's
not more than just press the "I want my money back"-Button!

On the other hand even in the '80s Lastschrift was not the only way to
pay even in Germany. I remember I used to receive medical bills, which I
brought to my bank and ordered them to pay.

Yes, there also was the Überweisung. See above.

Josef
Old February 8th, 2011, 05:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Johannes Kleese

Am 08.02.2011 17:00, schrieb Giovanni Drogo:
On Tue, 8 Feb 2011, Johannes Kleese wrote:

Yes, Lastschrift (usually direct debit in English, since November 2010
SEPA within Euroland).

I guess SEPA comes in two flavours, not sure if they could be called
"direct debit" and "direct credit".

Yes, AFAIK the slight difference is who gets the order to transfer the
money: the recipient's bank or the sender's bank.

"bonifico europeo unico" meaning it applies to a inter-european
transaction the same fees used for a domestic "bonifico".

The same-fee-policy: Finally the European Union got something right

On the other hand even in the '80s Lastschrift was not the only way to
pay even in Germany. I remember I used to receive medical bills, which I
brought to my bank and ordered them to pay.

As Josef already wrote, that's the Ãœberweisung type. Same process, just
the one who starts the transfer is different (Ãœberweisung: the sender,
Lastschrift: the recipient).

Here medical expenses for a visit at an hospital (so called "ticket")
are usually paid on the spot with a POS card (or cash).

Payed by German insurance

Old February 8th, 2011, 06:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

JohnT wrote:

"Tim C." wrote in message
On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 12:11:14 +0100, Martin wrote in post :
:

There is a problem somewhere. Mixi hasn't contributed to the thread.

There's a logical reason for that if you think about it!

He's saving himself for when Erilar discusses French money?

lol!

Mixi hasn't posted anything to his Paris blog since 5th November 2010. Has
he gone back to Arizona?

Virtually, quite probably!

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old February 8th, 2011, 06:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Josef Kleber wrote:

".

Yes, that's a "Ãœberweisung" in german. The difference is that in this
case you order your bank to transfer the money.

That's what I used back when I was a student in Bochum! I'd forgotten the
name. The late 1970's were a while back 8-)

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old February 8th, 2011, 06:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

"Tim C." wrote:
[...]

...]

...that led me to believe it was only for a couple of weeks at a time.

no. I've had to spend most of my time in the US to earn money to come back
8-) If I'd been there longer, I' certainly have had something local.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old February 8th, 2011, 08:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Runge 128 wrote:

very long useless threads

Indeed.