Recommended insect repellent?

Old March 2nd, 2004, 05:11 AM
Grey Wolf

Default Recommended insect repellent?

Is there any one easy-to-find brand of repellent that you'd recommend?
We've decided to make at least one Mayan ruin visit on our W.Caribb
cruise, and would like to properly defended!

Thanks in advance,
David (1 month still to go!)
Old March 2nd, 2004, 05:17 AM

"Off" is one major brand. The main thing you're looking for is DEET in the
ingredient list

--jim

Old March 2nd, 2004, 02:04 PM
Juliana L Holm

Grey Wolf wrote:
Is there any one easy-to-find brand of repellent that you'd recommend?
We've decided to make at least one Mayan ruin visit on our W.Caribb
cruise, and would like to properly defended!

I'd use Deep Woods Off, which is the one with the correct level of DEET
in it. There are others, though. What you are looking for is DEET.

Julie

--
Julie
**********
Old March 2nd, 2004, 02:23 PM
Lee

Grey Wolf wrote in message . ..
Is there any one easy-to-find brand of repellent that you'd recommend?
We've decided to make at least one Mayan ruin visit on our W.Caribb
cruise, and would like to properly defended!

Thanks in advance,
David (1 month still to go!)

Definitely try to find a repellent with DEET as the active ingredient.
Obviously, the hight the percentage of DEET, the more potent the
repellent. However, DEET can be toxic, so use it carefully, and not on
small children. I prefer to apply it to my clothing, rather than to my
skin. I find spraying some on a bandanna and then tying the bandanna
around my neck helps to keep the insects away from my head. I don't
react to DEET applied directly to my skin, I just prefer not to apply
a very potent chemical directly.

Also, start taking a B Complex vitamin supplement - that's supposed to
make you emit an unpleasant (to flying, biting insects) odor or taste.

Lee

Lee
Old March 2nd, 2004, 02:39 PM
HDawson228

Having cruised the eastern and western Caribbean many times, I've never had a
problem with insects.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 02:44 PM
Juliana L Holm

HDawson228 wrote:
Having cruised the eastern and western Caribbean many times, I've never had a
problem with insects.

Well, I've certainly encountered insects in Puerto Rico and on the mainland
of Mexico in Yucatan. Mostly at dusk, so it is harder to have it happen on
a cruise, but I'd rather be safe than sorry, espcially in jungles and rain-
forests.

--
Julie
**********
Old March 2nd, 2004, 03:32 PM
HDawson228

I guess it could be a matter of the time of the year. I spent 8 days in Merida
(Yucatan) and surrounding area last Oct and never encountered an insect
problem. I don't travel during school vacations or during the summer.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 05:27 PM
Juliana L Holm

HDawson228 wrote:
I guess it could be a matter of the time of the year. I spent 8 days in Merida
(Yucatan) and surrounding area last Oct and never encountered an insect
problem. I don't travel during school vacations or during the summer.

It could be. I travelled with my daughter, and therefore during school vacation
in June, when I encountered them, although I also encountered them during a
November visit to Puerto Rico, although largely in the Rainforest and mangrove
swamps.

Julie

--
Julie
**********
Old March 2nd, 2004, 08:14 PM
Lee

Juliana L Holm wrote in message ...
Grey Wolf wrote:
Is there any one easy-to-find brand of repellent that you'd recommend?
We've decided to make at least one Mayan ruin visit on our W.Caribb
cruise, and would like to properly defended!

I'd use Deep Woods Off, which is the one with the correct level of DEET
in it.

Julie,

What is the "correct" level of DEET?

Lee
Old March 3rd, 2004, 02:54 AM
Grey Wolf

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 05:17:30 GMT, wrote:

"Off" is one major brand. The main thing you're looking for is DEET in the
ingredient list

--jim

"Grey Wolf" wrote in message
.. .
Is there any one easy-to-find brand of repellent that you'd recommend?

Oh! Thanks Jim! I'm very familiar with "Off". I was thinking those
jungle critters would require something a little more toxic, guess my
imagination was getting the best of me again.

So is there any favored style? Spray, lotion or other? We're trying
to shop each week for items we'll need, so that's why I'm asking. I
think lotion might be better than a spray for travelling in airplanes,
but again that's my inexperience talking...

David