Mex city, patzcuaro, gto, san miguel

Old July 14th, 2004, 11:55 PM
Amy

Default Mex city, patzcuaro, gto, san miguel

Just wanted to drop a line to all my fellow travellers and say muchas
gracias for all the suggestions and information I requested before our
recent trip to Mexico City, Patzcuaro, Guanajuato and San Miguel de Allende.
Hubby and I returned from our 9 day trip around south-central Mexico on
Sunday. We had a great time and no significant problems of any kind! We
arrived in Mexico City on july 3, stayed in Hotel Catedral until Tuesday
morning - (great location, good restaurant, friendly staff). From there, we
got a bus from the Cental Norte to Morelia and then one to Patzcuaro from
there. ( I hadn't yet seen the emails about the Poniente station - it all
worked out though). Stayed at the Posada de la Salud in Patzcuaro the first
night - very cute place with a very friendly 5 year old grandson, I think,
of the owner of the place. Only complaint there was the fireworks going off
at 5am - celebrating the annual pilgrimage (that we were unaware of until we
got there) to the basilica across the street. Because of said pilgrimage,
the Posada was booked for our second night, but we found a room down the
street at the Meson de San Antonio (also very nice people, huge shower with
a crazy shower head that sprayed the whole room). Went out to Janitzio on
Wednesday. Always lovely. The cool weather was a nice change from the
stifling heat and humidity we have at home. Thursday, got a bus to Morelia,
sat in the bus station for 2 hours waiting for our bus to Guanajuato from
there. (poor planning on my part). Spent Thursday afternoon and Friday
morning there. Friday afternoon got a bus to Dolores Hidalgo, sampled some
of the avocado, beer, corn and vanilla ice creams, we ended up sticking with
strawberry and pina colada. Then asked where the ceramic manufacturers
shops are located, wandered around until we found them, and then purchased
some fabulous talavera plates and bowls from De Talavera on puebla st. Very
friendly and helpful guy working in there - and good prices, compared to
others on that street. He also gave me the name and location of a shipping
business in San Miguel, which turned out to be very helpful (assuming our
shipment arrives mostly unbroken from FedEx!). Back to Guanajuato for
Friday night. Saturday, tried to get up early, and on a bus to San Miguel
de Allende. I had hoped we'd have time to spend a night there, but that
would have been pushing it. So we arrived in SMA around 11am, found La
Union, to ship our 2 boxes of ceramics, spent a few hours wandering around
el centro and the mercado de artesanias. Really makes you want to drive a
U-haul down there and load up. Back on a bus at 4pm to Mexico City. Ended
up at the Tulip Inn Ritz our last night - not quite as ritzy as a Ritz in
the US, I'm sure, but it was a nice room in a convenient location. And back
on a plane Sunday to the good ole USA.

I never felt unsafe in Mexico City or anywhere else on our trip. Both our
hotels there were in the Centro Historico. We walked around that area a
good bit, some at night, but left backpacks, expensive cameras and passports
in the hotel safe at night time. We didn't venture to the Plaza Garibaldi,
although we did drive by it a couple times in a taxi. Taxi sitios were
fairly easy to find, and of course hotel staff were very helpful. Our
closest call was with our last taxi ride back to the airport Sunday. We
only narrowly missed hitting the VW bug taxi, but that's what brakes and
screeching tires are for! Overall, we had a great time, hubby got to see
"real" Mexico for the first time, as opposed to Cancun, Tijuana, etc. We
didn't have any problems with food, water, etc. I only wish we had had more
time to enjoy each city we visited.

Again, thanks to the group for your helpful suggestions!

¡Hasta Luego!

Old July 15th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Miguel Cruz

Amy wrote:
I never felt unsafe in Mexico City or anywhere else on our trip. Both our
hotels there were in the Centro Historico. We walked around that area a
good bit, some at night, but left backpacks, expensive cameras and passports
in the hotel safe at night time. We didn't venture to the Plaza Garibaldi,
although we did drive by it a couple times in a taxi.

Thanks for the report. I must say that you did miss out on one of the best
parts of Mexico City by skipping the Plaza Garibaldi though!

miguel