Please don't blame us!

Old November 18th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Hatunen

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 20:31:19 GMT, "alohacyberian"
wrote:

"Hatunen" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 09:50:54 GMT, "alohacyberian"
wrote:
"Hatunen" wrote in message

Come now. The Hebrews bascially committed genocide to take over
the area now called Palestine. Read your Bible.

The founding of modern Israel isn't covered in _The Holy Bible_ and modern
day Hebrews should no more be held accountable for the actions of their
ancestors of antiquity than Americans should be held accountable for the
slave holders in Dixie. And the area isn't now called "Palestine",

What if you are Palestinian? What would you want to call the
region that now contains the nation of Israel and the area
"assigned" to the Palestinians?

22% is called Israel and 78% is called Jordan.

Huh? Jordan wasn't Palestine. Beetween teh Big War s it was
"TransJordan". But we're looking for a term for the geographic
region largely west of the Dead Sea and the Jordan River.

Uh, Transjordan changed its name to Jordan - it's the same country and was
originally eretz Israel as it was at the time of the Balfour Declaration. KM

So how far back do we go to make everyone happy?

Old November 18th, 2004, 10:58 PM
Hatunen

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 20:31:20 GMT, "alohacyberian"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:
"Hatunen" wrote in message

Come now. The Hebrews bascially committed genocide to take over
the area now called Palestine. Read your Bible.

The founding of modern Israel isn't covered in _The Holy Bible_ and modern
day Hebrews should no more be held accountable for the actions of their
ancestors of antiquity than Americans should be held accountable for the
slave holders in Dixie. And the area isn't now called "Palestine",

What if you are Palestinian? What would you want to call the
region that now contains the nation of Israel and the area
"assigned" to the Palestinians?

22% is called Israel and 78% is called Jordan.

My statement stands that the modern state of Israel does not
occupy all of Palestine considered as west of the Jordan.

I'm trying to find documentation that all of Transjordan was
included in the term "Palestine", but so far I can only find that
the Balfour Declaration did not include the area of Transjordan
and that the British Mandate had two administrative parts, one of
which was Transjordan.
http://www.passia.org/palestine_fact...facts_MAPS.htm

See also http://www.palestineremembered.com/Maps/

The 1940s map at http://www.britannica.com/search?query=palestine
locates Palestine as west of the Jordan.

I do see one reference from the 1870s as to Jerusalme being in
*western* Palestine. The 1626 thumbnail map at
http://www.kittyprint.com/KTP/HTML/HolyLand.html seems to show
Palestine as a bit more than the Mandate Palestine, including
some lands east of the Jordan.

My London Times coffee table book, "Atlas of the Bible", shows
Palestine as the modern Palestine pluys the valley of the Jordan,
both sides. And it shows the Roman Province of Palaestina Tertia
as being ditto

So, "Palestine" seems to lack precision as to a specific
geographic area. The Roman and ottoman empires had provinces
called "Palestine" but they seem to have been more administrative
than, um, ethnic. In any case, Transjordan was marked outlike so
many colonial areas by Europeans who were more intersted in
straight lines than ethnicity and geography, and it is certain
that it was not 78% of Palestine, since Palestine overlapped that
area by a smaller amount.

Now, what about The Levant...?

There is indication that a small part of Transjordan was part of
Palestine in the Maccabean period:
http://www.britannica.com/search?query=palestine

Huh? Jordan wasn't Palestine. Beetween teh Big War s it was
"TransJordan". But we're looking for a term for the geographic
region largely west of the Dead Sea and the Jordan River.

A person who doesn't even know the
name of a nation founded almost fifty years ago or what that chunk of real
estate is called, really shouldn't be holding forth and offering expertise
on
the matter.

Israel does not occupy all of what was once called Palestine.

That's exactly what I stated. 78% is now Jordan. KM

Old November 20th, 2004, 08:33 AM
alohacyberian

wrote:

Uh, Transjordan changed its name to Jordan - it's the same country and was
originally eretz Israel as it was at the time of the Balfour Declaration.
KM

So how far back do we go to make everyone happy?

The Balfour Declaration was dated 2 November 1917. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3000 live cameras or
visit NASA, play games, read jokes, send greeting cards & connect