help, please, newsgroup readers for this newsgroup

Old January 14th, 2006, 06:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default help, please, newsgroup readers for this newsgroup

This is kinda off topic, but I know most of you are more computer savvy than
I, so here goes.

We currently have a dial-up isp and read newsgroups with Microsoft Outlook
Newsreader. In a week or so we will be switching to broadband (yippee), but
the only broadband provider we can get out here is fairly new and doesn't
support Usenet yet. They will eventually, but just not yet.

I know that it is possible to read newsgroups through sites on the internet,
like Google Groups and others like that. What I need to know is the easiest
way to read and post to RTC through the internet, and it has to be easy for
a computer-illiterate person like me to understand. Any suggestions?

Old January 14th, 2006, 06:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Lauren wrote:
What I need to know is the easiest
way to read and post to RTC through the internet, and it has to be easy for
a computer-illiterate person like me to understand. Any suggestions?

I don't know if it's the easiest, but it works...I've been using Google
Groups for a while.

Lee

take a look at individual.net

It is a text only news server in Germany. I use them and have been very
happy with them. Not free, cost is 10 Euros per year, whatever that
converts to in US.

Then you can use your Outlook newsreader with them.

Lloyd

take a look at individual.net

It is a text only news server in Germany. I use them and have been very
happy with them. Not free, cost is 10 Euros per year, whatever that
converts to in US.

Then you can use your Outlook newsreader with them.

I have been using them for years and am very happy with them. When
they first started charging, I switched to what my ISP provided for
free. Didn't take long before I went and paid to get back on
individual.net. The cost per year is $12.98.

sue
Old January 14th, 2006, 07:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Lauren wrote:
I know that it is possible to read newsgroups through sites on the internet,
like Google Groups and others like that. What I need to know is the easiest
way to read and post to RTC through the internet, and it has to be easy for
a computer-illiterate person like me to understand. Any suggestions?

IMHO, the easiest is http://news.interbulletin.com/

When I'm away from home, I prefer it over Google Groups because it looks
just like the newsreader I use at home: posts are listed in a scrolling
window on top, and clicking a post shows the post in a separate window
below.

Where it says "Diredt jump to newsgroups," type in rec.travel.cruises
anc click "read". To reply to a post, just click the "follow up" button
at the bottom of the message. To compose a new article, click "post
article" at the top of the page.

The only down side is that for spam control, you can only post 5 times
per day, but that's probably more than most people need.

Try it now, you'll like it--it's free

How B

Old January 14th, 2006, 07:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

How B wrote:
Where it says "Diredt jump to newsgroups," type in rec.travel.cruises
anc click "read".

That should say "Direct" & "and click"...

Sorry, I've been reading Clint's posts for too long

How B

Old January 14th, 2006, 07:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Lauren wrote:

I know that it is possible to read newsgroups through sites on the internet,
like Google Groups and others like that.

Why is everyone making a mountain out of this little mole hill.

In fact that's the ONLY way one should read and post.

If you have any brower, just click

http://www.groups.google.com

and give the game of the ng, such as rec.travel.cruises.

You have many option to read it. I use the one-line per post starting
from the most recent. You can reply from it. That's it!

The best thing about reading it from google is that you can make
it threaded, so you'll know exactly which post follows which, and
if you are a multiple group reader like myself (I've been flamed by
some jerk from this group, cross-posted to 10 of the newsgroups
I read), you can hope from one group to another by just one
click.

This group is too boring. Seldom take me more than to minutes
to see which of the regular spammers and bores are posting,
and leave. :-)

Occasionally I find something worth reading.

There you have it.

-- Bob.

Old January 16th, 2006, 07:38 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On 1/14/06 2:50 PM Reef Fish after palpating a Gingko, electronically
interjected:
Lauren wrote:

[...]

It's not the only way. I use Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5, it's much faster
than web based newsgroups. For those on dial-up you can set it to
download select newsgroups for reading and responding offline. Unlike
Outlook, Thunderbird doesn't choke on large downloads TB 1.5 does
threads better than Google.

Mozilla Firefox 1.5 is also my default browser, it doesn't come with all
the bloatware found in IE and it's a heck of a lot faster in downloading
and rendering a web page.

You can get them both or singly for free at http://mozilla.com

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old January 16th, 2006, 11:42 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article . net,
Brian K wrote:

It's not the only way. I use Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5, it's much faster
than web based newsgroups.

Not only is reading newsgroups and posting to newsgoups from Google
Groups not the only way one should read one should read or post. Using
a web front end like Google Groups is one of the most limited, slowest
and undesirable ways to read or post to Usenet newsgroups. Google
Groups should only be used if one has no access to a news server. The
best way to read or post to newsgroups is newsreader client software
(like the one you are using or one of the other ones), that connects to
a news server.

--
Charles
Old January 16th, 2006, 04:49 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

I just use the news server in Outlook Express, signing on to
rec.travel.cruises. I have tried Google and others and find OE to be the
most versatile and lightweight of any. I just use Googlegroups to search
for an old post.

--
Shauna

)))