How much money for one year in Asia???

Old July 19th, 2004, 03:55 AM
michael

Default How much money for one year in Asia???

Tchiowa wrote:
alkristensen wrote in message ...

You made the statement that once you've seen one temple you've seen
them all. That's the stereotype of the budget traveler I was referring
to. You don't see a difference between the reclining buddha and the
emerald buddha, I guess. Between Wat Po and Wat Arun.

If that's the way you like to travel, good for you. Just don't give us
the "culture" argument.

not to mention the various periods and dynastic styles: lan na, ayudaya,
sukhodaya, khmer influences etc...

unfortunately, "cultural sensitivity" among the backpacker crowd (and
i'm definitely one of them) tends to express itself in cribbed summaries
of LP and arguments over whether beer lao is really the best and
cheapest in s.e. asia...

i remember overhearing am american backpacker bitch to his guide and his
porter (split with an aussie) about the $2.00 he'd been ripped off for
by a little band of maoists on the way to everest... we saw him on and
off all one day on this tremendous trek and at no point did his bitch
let up... he seemd utterly oblivious to where he was... some of these
people spend more time checking their wallets and looking for mars bars
or packaged noodles to eat than paying attention to where they are...
far out man...

michael

Old July 20th, 2004, 04:34 AM
Chris Blunt

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 10:23:37 +0000, alkristensen
wrote:

I try to stay away from the big hotels and tourist traps as
they are ful of westerners which i hate

You hate them just because they are westerners?

Old July 20th, 2004, 07:16 AM
michael

wrote:

I try to stay away from the big hotels and tourist traps as
they are ful of westerners which i hate

You hate them just because they are westerners?

yeah well, you know... seen one westerner, you've seen 'em all...

michael

Old July 21st, 2004, 02:57 PM
Manfred Aigner

Tchiowa wrote:

[..]
But what you just described aren't Westerners, per se, but rather
quite representative of the back-packer-budget-traveller crowd.

Yes Tchiowa! We know already your ignorant opinion about people
travelling on low budget!

Manfred

Old July 21st, 2004, 03:12 PM
Miguel Cruz

Tchiowa wrote:
alkristensen wrote:
I am english, and mainly meant the brits abroad type drunken louts or
trust fund ******s that do try and scab drinks and fags etc off you but
secretly stash thousands of pounds on daddys credit card.
you all know
the ones with fake dreads and glasses called tarquin and the like, these
are the people that condesend the locals , these are the type that i
hate, not just all westerners.

But what you just described aren't Westerners, per se, but rather
quite representative of the back-packer-budget-traveller crowd.

I just spent a couple days in a hostel in Singapore (my first time in a
hostel in years, but I figured I'd give it a go), talked to a decent number
of people about politics and the places they'd been and so on, didn't find a
Tarquin in the bunch. I think you may be speaking based on a limited number
of encounters, encounters some time ago, or in specific places where the
backpacker crowds are not necessarily representative.

miguel