Congratulations Norway!

Old May 17th, 2009, 12:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Default Congratulations Norway!

Martin wrote:

On Sun, 17 May 2009 12:04:45 +0100, (David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

Martin wrote:

On Sun, 17 May 2009 11:30:57 +0100,
(David Horne, _the_
chancellor (*)) wrote:

Martin wrote:

[]
Watching ESC on a foreign channel without Wogan's comments was a totally
different experience.

Probably so, but I'm somewhat immune to musical criticism- snotty or
not! The songs in the final were palpably better than in recent years
IMO- if more uniform stylistically. Azerbaijan's popularity would
indicate that audiences don't particularly care if the singers can't
sing in tune. (I think the male singer (who sang offkey in the heat as
well) is popular in a few countries.)

The best singer was from Sweden and she got 25 points. It says it all

really.

Not to me. The ability to belt out a few high notes at the standard of a
first year conservatoire trained singer is not much of an asset in
popular music.

AFAIK she is a popular professional opera singer.

Which goes to show how poor they often sound behind a mike!

It was also a very catchy tune, I can't get it out of my head.

I've forgotten it (though I remember its basic structure), but still
remember the Norwegian one.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old May 17th, 2009, 01:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:

Not to me. The ability to belt out a few high notes at the standard

of a
first year conservatoire trained singer is not much of an asset in
popular music.

Well it depends what you mean by 'popular music'.

My experience is that the disposable stuff liked by many young people
isn't about the noise that comes out of the artists mouth, that can
be manipulated to an extent many people would find shocking.

It hes a great deal to do with looks and the ability to dance while
wearing as few clothes as is decent.

Rock music is slightly different.

You need to both look good and be able to play at least a few chords
and about a couple of dozen individual notes on the electric guitar...

Folk singers only need the chords, but unlike the others, they do
still need to be able to hold a tune...

--
William Black

Old May 17th, 2009, 01:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

William Black wrote:

[...]

I would find it hard to define those parameters so clearly. There are
myriad skills required to be a singer that seem to depend so much on the
style and genre. I think it's like trying to compare the skills required
to play classical piano vs. tabla...

Old May 17th, 2009, 01:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

William Black wrote:

[...]

Probably true.

There are almost certainly popular singers who can sing.

What I'm saying is that the minimum requirements are reasonably...

--
William Black

Old May 17th, 2009, 06:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge15

Just an ordinary OT topic, the sort that attracts all the mucky flies.

"poldy" a écrit dans le message de
news
In article ,
Tom P wrote:

Is it like your American Idol?

Or just happy some Eastern Europeans or the Russians didn't win it again?

Old May 18th, 2009, 06:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Sun, 17 May 2009 13:20:13 +0100, William Black wrote in post :
:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:

Not to me. The ability to belt out a few high notes at the standard

of a
first year conservatoire trained singer is not much of an asset in
popular music.

Well it depends what you mean by 'popular music'.

My experience is that the disposable stuff liked by many young people
isn't about the noise that comes out of the artists mouth, that can
be manipulated to an extent many people would find shocking.

Things like TC-Helicon's Voice Correct spring to mind (something I could do
with myself actually... )

--
Tim C.