reaching site of Plato Academy from Acropolis

Old May 1st, 2007, 06:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Steve G

Default reaching site of Plato Academy from Acropolis

Looking at a map of ancient Athens, it appears to be behind the
Acropolis and perhaps not that far away (walking distance?) Can anyone
tell me how I'd get there from the vicinity of the Acropolis? I'm
planning on getting a hotel nearby. Thanks as always.

Old May 1st, 2007, 10:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Poetic Justice

Steve G wrote:
Looking at a map of ancient Athens, it
appears to be behind the Acropolis and
perhaps not that far away (walking
distance?)

I think you might be looking at the Agora which is just behind the
Acropolis to the northwest.

Can anyone tell me how I'd get there from
the vicinity of the Acropolis? I'm planning
on getting a hotel nearby.

On your map find Kerameikos (a large site containing ancient City Walls
& Gates, cemetery, etc) also northwest of the Acropolis.
There in ancient times you would walk out the Dipylon (a double gateway
& main gate of the city) and take the direct road 6 stades (~1104m) to
the Academy.

But seeing the gate is no longer used and the direct road is buried
beneath the modern city you'll have to walk around it to the Academy
~1500m .

It's been 7yrs since I was there but using my map and Blue Guide Athens
for info I think I can get you there.

Ok you are standing on Ermou street facing the entrance to Kerameikos.
Turn Left and walk to Peiraios which is a main street.
Cross Peiraios and turn right on Peiraios.
The 5th street is Salaminos, turn left on it.
[The Metro stop Kerameikos *might* be across the street (on Peiraios)
from Salaminos. It was due to open in 1999]

In ~500m on Salaminos you come to a major road you must cross and then
walk under an elevated train track.

After you cross this major street go down Serron St, in ~100m
Monastiriou St branches-right off of Serron St. (now you are headed in
the same direction as you were on Salaminos).

In maybe 600m you will come to a large grass and tree park on your
left, that is where the Academy ruins are.

But don't enter just continue down Monastitiou (on your left is the park
and on your right are modern bldgs).

In ~200m on your right in this modern neighborhood in a small city
block are the remains of a Square Peristyle.
This Square Peristyle is sometimes thought to be the Peripatos (covered
walkway) used by Plato and Aristotle?

Now go back to the park and explore, the ruins are among the trees and
grass.
Regards, Walter

...And Paradise Was Lost...like teardrops in the rain...