Storage in Milan or Europe / Suitcases on trains in Europe

Old July 26th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Jane

Default Storage in Milan or Europe / Suitcases on trains in Europe

Hi,

I am arriving in Milan with some heavy baggage. I intend to spend the
night near lake Como (and would set out from Milan late in the
evening). My arrival is early in the morning so I would really like to
keep my baggage somewhere in Milan (near a train station or something)
so that I can visit some sights in Milan during the day without being
constrained by my baggage. Any ideas how I can do this?

Does anyone have train schedules for Milan to Como? I would also like
to know if the train journey would require me not to carry
suitcases... The problem, however is I am traveling from Singapore
(spending 2 months in Europe) and traveling light is difficult. Also,
My havesack just got ripped on a recent trip

I expect to do a lot of train traveling... and I just don't know if
carrying suitcases is feasible...

Also, if someone would be as so kind to tell me if there is a
'general' way to solve this problem in Europe, by say stopping by at a
hostel and payin a few euros for storage, I would greatly appreciate
it.

Thanks!
Jane
Old July 28th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Valter Minute

B wrote in
:

[...]
I once arrived at Milan Centrale a few hours before I had to go to
the airport, and left my luggage in the left luggage facility so
that I could wander around the city instead of staying in the
station. I don't remember very well what the facility was like,
but I don't think it was particularly small.

I was talking about Milano Cadorna, it's a smaller station owned by
ferrovie nord and not by the main italian railway company (ferrovie
dello stato, now called "trenitalia" I think) but it's well connected
to both Malpensa Airport (trough the malpensa express train) and Como.
If you need to reach Milano Centrale from Malpensa you've to take a
coach (slow if there's heavvy traffic) or a taxi (slow and expensive)
from Malpensa to Milano Centrale, leave the luggage there and then,
when you need to leave, go back to cadorna (using the crowded tube or
an expensive taxi), and take a train to como.
I see signs for the luggage facility in Milano Cadorna, but I don't
know anything about its size/usage.
Another solution is to leave the luggage at the airport, take the
malpensa express to milan (40 minutes), visit the city and then go back
to the airport (another 40 minutes), get back the luggage, take the
malpensa express again but only toward Saronno (20 min.) that's the
place where the lines from malpensa and to como join and take a train
to como from there. This will mean spend a little more for tickets.

--
Valter Minute
(the reply address of this message is invalid)