Canadian university student looking for Aus+NZ advice

Old February 12th, 2005, 03:29 AM
Jem Berkes

Default Canadian university student looking for Aus+NZ advice

I am a Canadian university student, just graduated from Engineering, with
a few free months before I start my Master's (will be back in Canada). I
have lived in other European countries before, and love traveling.

Having spent a winter with -30 C temps I've come to the realization that
I could be somewhere nicer now. Swimming in the ocean would be a plus.

I'm really looking for a change of scenery and way of life rather than a
crazy backpacking adventure. My idea is to start by living in youth
hostels for a while until I can locate other students in order to share a
house or flat for 3-4 months, approx March - June.

I'd like to set up base in a largish city from where I can continue with
my own consulting work, and/or do odd technical jobs for area companies.
Local technical/engineering employment opportunities would be a plus, but
really not too important -- all I need is a computer to make money.

What I do need for sure is a city with a large university population.
Also, I am an avid cyclist and would like to be able to travel both
inside and outside the city by bicycle. For instance, biking to the ocean
coast would be fantastic. Can one swim in April - June?

After considering several Australian destinations it seems to me that
Melbourne or Brisbane might work out best for me. I am very open to the
idea of setting up base in New Zealand instead, but I am entirely
unfamiliar with that country. Perhaps someone can give me some tips?

I know the temps this time of year are mild. I don't mind biking 3 to 4
hours to go somewhere interesting. But I want to avoid damp conditions.

Any recommendations for cities?

--
Jem Berkes
Windows, UNIX software and system design
Old February 12th, 2005, 04:40 AM
A Mate

You will need a Working Holiday Visa (WHV) to work legitimately for an
Australian employer. That's available on-line from:
http://www.immi.gov.au
if you're a Canadial national under 30 years of age. Otherwise you'll need
an Electronic Travel Authority - ETA - (also available on-line from the
site above); but you can not legally work with an ETA!.

Any of the three East Coast state capitals fit your profile. Gold and
Sunshine Coast beaches (near Brisbane) are all open and manned by lifeguards
all year round! Water temperature would be between 18C and 20C normally.
Sydney is swimmable then also. Melbourne would require wet suits.

.. .

Old February 12th, 2005, 05:29 AM
woodsie

In article , Jem Berkes
wrote:

Any recommendations for cities?

if you're seeking warmer climat, head to brisbane.
Old February 12th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Dan Santoro

1) if you are under 26 find the website for BUNAC (I think Bunac.com) which
arranges work holidays for college students

and 2) get a place in Bondi........you won't be able to keep your pants
on........

Old February 12th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Ralph Holz

After considering several Australian destinations it seems to me that
Melbourne or Brisbane might work out best for me. I am very open to the

BrisneyWorld sounds about right. Cycling within the city is easy. But if
you're a Canadian wood logger with an aversion to a humid climate,
Brisbane or anything further north during an Aussie summer is not what
you want.

I would not recommend Sydney - biking in the inner city is hazardous,
too much traffic. Too hilly, too.

When I was in Australia, employment opportunities in the IT sector were
a bit restricted for foreigners - the market needed people who could
stay within the company for a longer term. That excluded me. Don't know
how it is now, though.

idea of setting up base in New Zealand instead, but I am entirely
unfamiliar with that country. Perhaps someone can give me some tips?

Guess the Alps would remind you of the Rockies. ;-)

That said, most beautiful country I've ever ever seen.

Ralph
Old February 12th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Ralph Holz

and 2) get a place in Bondi........you won't be able to keep your pants
on........

Strangely enough, "getting laid and drunk, often at the same time" does
not seem to comply with the OP's specification.

Bondi's for Brits who are out for drinking and shagging.

Old February 13th, 2005, 04:08 AM
A Mate

Bunac does indeed arrange working holidays from North America; but Canadians
don't need to use them (Americans can't get a WHV any other way!). Just get
a WHV on-line yourself. Tiny cost, and much more freedom (Canadians are much
less likely to need the structure/support BUNAC provides also!).

Old February 13th, 2005, 04:37 AM
Jem Berkes

I know the temps this time of year are mild. I don't mind biking 3 to 4
hours to go somewhere interesting. But I want to avoid damp conditions.

Then stay away from Brisbane.

Even in the fall/winter? When I compare climate stats to Melbourne...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/c...ml?tt=TT002970
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/c...ml?tt=TT003020

(for April-June) the relative humidity seems lower in Brisbane. There does
seem to be more average rainfall in Brisbane but I'm sure I can put up with
that for the significantly warmer climate
Old February 13th, 2005, 04:42 AM
Jem Berkes

BrisneyWorld sounds about right. Cycling within the city is easy. But if
you're a Canadian wood logger with an aversion to a humid climate,
Brisbane or anything further north during an Aussie summer is not what
you want.

I would be going in the fall/winter anyway (March-June) which seems like a
milder, dry time of year as I understand it?

When I was in Australia, employment opportunities in the IT sector were
a bit restricted for foreigners - the market needed people who could
stay within the company for a longer term. That excluded me. Don't know
how it is now, though.

Quite possibly I will encounter the same situation, in which case I have
some backup work possibilities anyway. You're probably right about this,
several people have warned me about the short duration.

That said, most beautiful country I've ever ever seen.

Could someone also give me an idea, what length of a trip does it take to
reach interesting coastline scenery from the city? Looking on a map it
seems about 10 to 15 km to get out of Brisbane and reach the coasts. Does
that work in practice?