Duty Free...

Old November 7th, 2005, 12:20 PM
NC86

Default Duty Free...

In Australian cities, there are duty free stores. How do you buy from them?

Can an Australian person who is traveling overseas soon use the stores?

I understand the Downtown Duty Free system because you get the goods
only in the transit zone of the airport... but what about the stores
which are not in airports?
Old November 7th, 2005, 07:59 PM
www.poms.co.uk

"NC86" wrote in message
u...
In Australian cities, there are duty free stores. How do you buy from
them?

Can an Australian person who is traveling overseas soon use the stores?

I understand the Downtown Duty Free system because you get the goods only
in the transit zone of the airport... but what about the stores which are
not in airports?

Well thay said to me you have to show proof of leaving the county with in
the next month. So you have to show your flight tickets and passport.

--
www.simcard.me.uk/australian_sim_card.htm Australian Sim Cards
www.poms.co.uk/forum/index.php Backpacking Australia Forum.

Old November 7th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Fred

"www.poms.co.uk" wrote in message
"NC86" wrote in message
u...
In Australian cities, there are duty free stores. How do you buy from
them?

Can an Australian person who is traveling overseas soon use the stores?

I understand the Downtown Duty Free system because you get the goods only
in the transit zone of the airport... but what about the stores which are
not in airports?

Well thay said to me you have to show proof of leaving the county with in
the next month. So you have to show your flight tickets and passport.

--
www.simcard.me.uk/australian_sim_card.htm Australian Sim Cards
www.poms.co.uk/forum/index.php Backpacking Australia Forum.
www.byronbay.co.uk - www.nimbin.co.uk

In my eperience it is better to buy from a store away from the airport. As
long as you have a passport and tickets you should be right. Often I have
seen duty free shops with such highmark-ups, the savings were minimal even
though freeof duty. I never buy anything at an airport where I have an
alternative. Buying something as simple as a cup of coffee should tell you
that. Retail space at airports is usually extremely high rent owing to the
fact the trader has a captive audience and no competition; but they sure
know how to compensate.

Old November 7th, 2005, 09:27 PM
snow

Agree, always buy from duty free stores away from the airport.

---
Snow
Travel - Resource Center
http://travel.fyicenter.com

Old November 7th, 2005, 09:33 PM
leftred

"NC86" wrote in message
u...
In Australian cities, there are duty free stores. How do you buy from
them?

Can an Australian person who is traveling overseas soon use the stores?

I understand the Downtown Duty Free system because you get the goods only
in the transit zone of the airport... but what about the stores which are
not in airports?

They give you the duty free item sealed in a plastic bag and you have to
present the sealed bag and the documentation at the point of departure for
checking.

Old November 8th, 2005, 12:16 AM
NC86

snow wrote:
Agree, always buy from duty free stores away from the airport.

One litre Absolut vodka at the Brisbane city store is $18, and it is $26
at the airport. Indeed better at the city store... I'll pay them a visit
when I get my tickets.
Old November 8th, 2005, 12:20 AM
NC86

They give you the duty free item sealed in a plastic bag and you have to
present the sealed bag and the documentation at the point of departure for
checking.

So you mean I pay full price at the store, then get a tax refund at the
airport?
Old November 8th, 2005, 03:21 AM
Crooner

"NC86" wrote in message
u...
They give you the duty free item sealed in a plastic bag and you have to
present the sealed bag and the documentation at the point of departure
for checking.

So you mean I pay full price at the store, then get a tax refund at the
airport?

No, you pay the reduced price. You must present the item in its sealed bag
at the airport, the customs officer will remove the attached paperwork, and
you can then do whatever you like with the item. Just make sure you have
room for it in your luggage on the return trip!

Old November 8th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Alan S

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 12:21:25 +1000, "Crooner"
wrote:

"NC86" wrote in message
. au...
They give you the duty free item sealed in a plastic bag and you have to
present the sealed bag and the documentation at the point of departure
for checking.

So you mean I pay full price at the store, then get a tax refund at the
airport?

No, you pay the reduced price. You must present the item in its sealed bag
at the airport, the customs officer will remove the attached paperwork, and
you can then do whatever you like with the item. Just make sure you have
room for it in your luggage on the return trip!

It may depend on the circumstances. I've been making
enquiries about buying a camera before a trip overseas.
Apparently I can pay full price at the shop within 30 days
of departure, keep all the receipts, use the camera until
departure, then there is a place to get the tax refunded at
the airport.

However, I haven't actually done it yet.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old November 8th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Chris Kuan

NC86 wrote on Tue 08 Nov 2005 10:20:57a

So you mean I pay full price at the store, then get a tax refund at
the airport?

When buying $300 worth of goods at a time, this is possible under the
Tourist Refund Scheme: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4646

--
Chris
Concatenate for email: mrgazpacho @ hotmail . com