TURBULENCE by Nance is Not Dad's Arthur Halley Stuff

Old December 21st, 2005, 03:26 PM posted to rec.travel.air

Default TURBULENCE by Nance is Not Dad's Arthur Halley Stuff

Rather than having to read books while falling asleep, I now like to
borrow audio book cassettes & audio c.d.s from the public library.

Such is more fun than should be allowed (Letterman's line).

They tell me audio books may be downloaded onto puters and blackberries
for small prices.

I am currently listening to a thriller, which makes the popular 1960s
AIRPORT relative child's play.

The author Nance maximally/gratuitously trashes/bashes the industry
utilizing a scapegoat aka "Meridian Airlines."

It's not cricket to reveal plot; while heroic Charlton Heston & Helen
Hayes wannabes should be duly peed.

Can't wait for Nance's HOTEL version, as I was in motel biz years ago,
and thus look forward to un-thrilling treatment by not David Niven.

Old December 21st, 2005, 11:21 PM posted to rec.travel.air

The author Nance maximally/gratuitously trashes/bashes the industry
utilizing a scapegoat aka "Meridian Airlines."

I rather enjoyed it. Like any novel, components are exaggerated to
move the story along, but the theme of an indifferent airline run by
hostile staff rang true to me.

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada

Old December 23rd, 2005, 07:55 PM posted to rec.travel.air

Halley

Hailey

and these amazon reviews are circa 1970s fun, providing some flavor and
insight to Hailey's trademark work AIRPORT, which at the time was
popular and (seemingly) is not so obsolete today

Editorial Reviews

From AudioFile

"Predictable" and "formulaic" aptly describe this Arthur Hailey novel,
which follows a cast of characters whose loves and lives converge at
Lincoln International Airport outside Chicago. Yet through skillful
abridgment and Victor Garber's ability to depict characters with
various accents, this fast-paced audiobook is quite enjoyable.It would
make great listening for a long trip. A.A.B. (c)AudioFile, Portland,
Maine --This text refers to the Audio Cassette edition.

The Denver Post
"A real zinger of a suspense story...Once in a very long time a book
comes along that is such a spellbinder."

See all Editorial Reviews

Product Details

Mass Market Paperback: 224 pages
Publisher: Berkley Publishing Group; Reissue edition (August, 2000)
Language: English
ISBN: 0425176088
Product Dimensions: 6.8 x 4.2 x 1.3 inches
Shipping Weight: 8.6 ounces.
Average Customer Review: based on 21 reviews. (Write a review.)
Amazon.com Sales Rank:
Today: #343,099 in Books
Yesterday: #324,769 in Books
(Publishers and authors: improve your sales)
Other Editions: Paperback | Audio Cassette (Unabridged) | Unknown
Binding | All Editions

Inside This Book

New! Books on Related Topics | Concordance | Text Stats
Browse Sample Pages: Front Cover | Copyright | Excerpt | Back Cover |
Surprise Me!
Search Inside This Book:

Inside This Book (learn more)
First Sentence:
At half-past six on a Friday evening in January, Lincoln International
Airport, Illinois, was functioning, though with difficulty. Read the
first page
Statistically Improbable Phrases (SIPs): (learn more)
airport flight insurance, passenger relations agent, handoff man,
airport general manager, administrative mezzanine, insurance vending,
air route control, snow committee, boarding walkway, radar supervisor,
airport insurance, ramp supervisor, man with the case, main terminal
concourse, insurance counter, tower chief, insurance booth, flight deck
door, retainer forms, convoy leader, radar room, maintenance chief,
snow clearance, airport maintenance, east arrivals
Capitalized Phrases (CAPs): (learn more)
Trans America, Flight Two, Vernon Demerest, Mel Bakersfeld, Anson
Harris, Joe Patroni, Elliott Freemantle, Captain Demerest, Keith
Bakersfeld, Gwen Meighen, Ada Quonsett, Ned Ordway, Lieutenant Ordway,
Inspector Standish, Inez Guerrero, The Golden Argosy, Snow Desk, Los
Angeles, San Diego, Chicago Center, George Wallace, Derek Eden, Tanya
Livingston, Perry Yount, Conga Line
New!
Books on Related Topics | Concordance | Text Stats
Browse Sample Pages:
Front Cover | Copyright | Excerpt | Back Cover | Surprise Me!
Search Inside This Book:

Customers who viewed this book also viewed
Evening News, The : A Novel by Arthur Hailey
Detective: A Novel by Arthur Hailey
The Final Diagnosis by Arthur Hailey
IN HIGH PLACES by Arthur Hailey
Wheels by Arthur Hailey
Explore Similar Items: in Books

Spotlight Reviews
Search Customer Reviews

Write an online review and share your thoughts with other customers.

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:

Bring Your Boarding Pass, August 14, 2001
Reviewer: "gypsychick" (miami, fl USA) - See all my reviews
Called a potboiler in its time: Sex, sin, stowaways and a mad bomber,
all crammed into one long night at a 1970s snowbound airport stands the
test of time. Hailey's meticulous attention to detail with regard to
every aspect of the story including the inner workings of an
international airport under stress in that decade demand the reader's
attention. The plot revolves around a beleaguered airport manager
juggling a failing marriage and a crisis on location, his arrogant and
philandering pilot brother in law, an out of work man teetering over
into desperation and how their paths cross on one dangerous night.
Absorbing and thrilling, even after all this time.

Was this review helpful to you? (Report this)

Customer Reviews
Average Customer Review:
Write an online review and share your thoughts with other customers.

a high-flier, November 11, 2004
Reviewer: lee freke "journalist" - See all my reviews
You won't believe so much action can be packed into five hours.
Hailey's Airport strips away the facade of the aviation emporium and
gives a little glimpse of the industry.
His skill in using flashbacks, as well as the credible characters in
the plot, make this book an excellent choice for those who have been
yearning for something good to read.

Was this review helpful to you? (Report this)

Big Fun, October 4, 2004
Reviewer: Tod Hackett (New York, New York United States) - See all my
reviews
As an avid reader I like to alternate classics and popular fiction.
This is pop at its best! Mr.Hailey mixes suspense with a journalistic
approach to his subject in this case, the airline industry of the early
1970's. The "you are there" feeling puts you right into the middle of
the action.

Was this review helpful to you? (Report this)

1 of 2 people found the following review helpful:

Dull, May 20, 2004
Reviewer: "jiaoli" (UK) - See all my reviews
This was the hardest book I ever read; not because of difficult
language or complexity but sheer volume of endless, ultimately
pointless text that muffles the plot. The book's over 300 pages long
and very little of note happens until the last 50 or so pages; there
are so many characters and storylines that I ended up not caring much
about any of them. And the amount of filler is staggering; the author
spends several sides explaining the airline policy on stewardesses who
are made pregnant by pilots. Of course, the research Hailey has done
can't be faulted, and it certainly gives an insight into the running of
an airport, but honestly after 200-odd pages of adultery, marital
discord, delays, airline stowaways, 'feisty' employees who remove all
the capital letters from their typewriters and flippant stewardesses
planning seductions in Naples, I really couldn't care less what
happened in the end. Don't bother.

Was this review helpful to you? (Report this)

0 of 4 people found the following review helpful:

Excellent writing, too much adultery, September 24, 2002
Reviewer:
I saw the tail end of the movie a couple years ago. I'm an aviation
nut, so enjoyed what I saw. I thought the book was good until I got to
Chapters 3 & 4 and adultery was so non-chalant. That was enough for me.

Was this review helpful to you? (Report this)

Solid, entertaining book, November 19, 2001
Reviewer:
If you've seen the movie you know the story. The writing is very
similar to John D. MacDonald's non-Travis McGee works with an almost
Tom Clancy-ish attention to detail and realism. Hailey definitely was
trying for something more here than just a tidy little soap opera.
Quite a number of issues plagueing airports and airline travel, some of
which continue to today, are discussed in great detail with both sides
of each arguement dutifully laid out. All of this around a convincing
story, some of the highlights of which include a snowstorm, protesters,
divorce, husbands and wives cheating on each other, a desperate bomber
and a crippled jet.
Who could ask for more?!

Was this review helpful to you? (Report this)

See all 21 customer reviews...

Auctions and zShops sellers and our other stores recommend
Airport by Arthur Hailey (Price: $7.00)

Listmania!
Books I can't put down:
A list by "cyfeld"

A Trailer Park Gal's 1970s Tra...:
A list by "gypsychick"

The Last 10 Book I bought:
A list by Brian Wochele

Create a Listmania! list

So You'd Like to...
Enjoy GREAT AIRPLANE BOOKS!... On Land!...:
A guide by Therese Tulloch, Frequent Traveler, Reader

Read a Thriller that Will Keep You Up All Night:
A guide by Maggie Mae, Thriller Addict

Read Paul Newman Movies:
A guide by Krystn McKenney, Paul Newman knows a good movie when he
reads one

Create a So You'd Like to... guide

Look for similar items by category

Subjects Literature & Fiction General Contemporary
Subjects Mystery & Thrillers Thrillers General
Subjects Mystery & Thrillers Thrillers Suspense

Look for similar items by subject
Fiction
Fiction - Espionage / Thriller
General
Suspense
Thrillers

i.e., each book must be in subject 1 AND subject 2 AND ...

This Book and You

Write a Review | Write a So You'd Like To... Guide | Tell a Friend
About This Item

Spectacular Readers
Never misplace your reading glasses again with the hip and stylish
magnetic readers from CliC.

Bargain Fiction
Check out bargain fiction in our Bargain Books store.