Report: U.S. health officials issue 'no sail' advisory for illness-plagued Celebrity ship

Old March 16th, 2010, 10:03 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Default Report: U.S. health officials issue 'no sail' advisory for illness-plaguedCelebrity ship

George Leppla wrote:
frijoli wrote:

While I agree you can't always believe the news reports, I'm curious
to know how many outbreaks the Mercury has had in the last two years
versus other ships. I'm sure I've heard the Mercury's name several
time prior to this event.

According to a South Carolina newspaper, the Mercury is a Carnival Ship.

Geez, the Mercury isn't even part of the Carnival family.

sue
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:12 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 17:00:54 -0500, George Leppla
wrote:

According to a South Carolina newspaper, the Mercury is a Carnival Ship.

http://tinyurl.com/ye7rtq3

Hi George,

Thanks for posting. And you know who said that my advice on the news
media was off base. lol
--
Ray Goldenberg 800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
Lighthouse Travel http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:22 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

Sue Mullen wrote:

George Leppla wrote:
frijoli wrote:

While I agree you can't always believe the news reports, I'm curious
to know how many outbreaks the Mercury has had in the last two years
versus other ships. I'm sure I've heard the Mercury's name several
time prior to this event.

According to a South Carolina newspaper, the Mercury is a Carnival Ship.

Geez, the Mercury isn't even part of the Carnival family.

sue

Facts don't matter.... fear and sensationalism do. From weather to
politics, the media exaggerates everything. Cruise from Hell. Storm of
Biblical Proportions. Death Panels. Terrorists behind every tree.
Full body scans for "security". Government inspected, FDA approved,
Board Certified. We cry for the Government to get out of our lives and
at he same time, scream when the pothole in front of our house isn't
fixed immediately or the garbage isn't picked up on time.

Everything is an "exclusive" and an "emergency" and "dangerous". What
few things we manufacture are so covered with warning labels and
disclaimers that we can't figure out how to use them.

We have become a nation of fearful cowards.... sitting at home by the
glow of our computer monitors while the rest of the world goes about
living.... and passing us by.

/rant

--

George Leppla

Countryside Travel http://www.CruiseMaster.com
Blog http://cruisemaster.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/CruiseMaster
Old March 16th, 2010, 11:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Kurt
Ullman wrote:

Being a correlation is not causation kind of a guy, I am wondering if
anybody looked into whether this was the same bug not entirely knocked
down or new bugs brought in by the next round of passengers.

I doubt it could be the same bug not knocked down from the outbreaks of
a few years ago on the ship. What I wonder though if there is something
in the design of the ship, the plumbing or procedures onboard that that
facilitate the spread of Noro.

--
Charles
Old March 17th, 2010, 01:43 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
frijoli[_5_]

Charles wrote:
In article , Kurt
Ullman wrote:

Being a correlation is not causation kind of a guy, I am wondering if
anybody looked into whether this was the same bug not entirely knocked
down or new bugs brought in by the next round of passengers.

I doubt it could be the same bug not knocked down from the outbreaks of
a few years ago on the ship. What I wonder though if there is something
in the design of the ship, the plumbing or procedures onboard that that
facilitate the spread of Noro.

This is what I was thinking as well Charles. I hope the four
day break cracks the cycle of the illness whatever it is.

Clay
Old March 17th, 2010, 12:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
Charles wrote:

In article , Kurt
Ullman wrote:

Being a correlation is not causation kind of a guy, I am wondering if
anybody looked into whether this was the same bug not entirely knocked
down or new bugs brought in by the next round of passengers.

I doubt it could be the same bug not knocked down from the outbreaks of
a few years ago on the ship. What I wonder though if there is something
in the design of the ship, the plumbing or procedures onboard that that
facilitate the spread of Noro.

n I may have lost track of the thread. I was thinking that this was
the third or fourth RECENT outbreak. Obviously no way for the virus to
stay active for several years.

--
I get off on '57 Chevys
I get off on screamin' guitars
Old March 17th, 2010, 12:54 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
peter

On 3/17/2010 1:27 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In alid,
wrote:

In , Kurt
wrote:

Being a correlation is not causation kind of a guy, I am wondering if
anybody looked into whether this was the same bug not entirely knocked
down or new bugs brought in by the next round of passengers.

I doubt it could be the same bug not knocked down from the outbreaks of
a few years ago on the ship. What I wonder though if there is something
in the design of the ship, the plumbing or procedures onboard that that
facilitate the spread of Noro.

n I may have lost track of the thread. I was thinking that this was
the third or fourth RECENT outbreak. Obviously no way for the virus to
stay active for several years.

True. But still the specific design of the ship or plumbing could make
it difficult to properly disinfect the ship and/or sanitizing procedures
followed could be insufficient so that fresh outbreaks are facilitated
again and again. Obviously this is not good for the ship's reputation in
spite of what Bagdad Bob Ray and his groupie Leppla claim.

Old March 17th, 2010, 03:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Becca

frijoli wrote:

This is what I was thinking as well Charles. I hope the four day break
cracks the cycle of the illness whatever it is.

Keep washing your hands and don't touch your face. Rubbing your eyes and
your nose is just the worst. I hope you and your wife have a happy
anniversary, Clay.

Becca
Old March 17th, 2010, 04:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

Kurt Ullman wrote:

n I may have lost track of the thread. I was thinking that this
was
the third or fourth RECENT outbreak. Obviously no way for the virus to

stay active for several years.

They had a major outbreak on the ship a couple of years ago when it was
on the west coast. There were major complaints that they used too much
bleach in fighting the Noro.
--
Charles
Old March 17th, 2010, 07:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 12:02:07 -0400, frijoli wrote:
Sue Mullen wrote:
frijoli wrote:
Sue Mullen wrote:
Charles wrote:
In article , frijoli
wrote:

Probably going to miss one of the ports we really wanted to see.

Here is the revised itinerary.

Due to the delayed departure, it was necessary to make some adjustments
to the planned itinerary. Celebrity Mercury will now departed
Charleston on Sunday, March 21, be at sea Monday; visit Key West,
Florida, Tuesday; Cozumel, Mexico, Wednesday; Costa Maya, Mexico,
Thursday; at sea Friday; Nassau, Bahamas, Saturday; and at sea Sunday.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/abou...pagename=trave

l_alert_1&x=19&y=11

Clay, sorry your sailing is affectedm but I amsure you will have a
good time anyway. It is just as good that they are doing a good
cleaning job. We were on the Magic very soon after it was out of
service for the same reason and we were fine.

sue

We're a little depressed about it though. We wanted to do a 10 day
cruise for our anniversary. Were looking forward to some extra sea
days. And, My hotel doesn't have rooms available.

Celebrity made an offer which I think is a joke. I called my agent and
asked him to go to battle for me. We're going in any case because we
both need a vacation.

I'm hoping the bug cycle is broken when we get on, because if we get
sick, we are really going to be ****ed!

Are you cruising "on" your anniversary or just "for" it? If you are
really upset would Celebrity let you switch to a later sailing?

sue

Basically, our Anniversary was the 9th, and the 19th was the closest to that
date we could get. So we were celebrating on the 19th instead.

I asked the bride if she could change dates and her schedule won't allow her to
reschedule until November.
Celebrity basically offered us our cost for the 2 days to spend on boards which
is a joke, because they end up recouping most of it back, plus a 25% discount on
our next Celebrity cruise.

This really sucks. Yes I get to cruise, but a lot of planning went into this and
I feel something is amiss on this ship as far as cleanliness and sanitation.
Seems like her name comes up a LOT for illness.

FWIW we were on the last cruise before Mercury went down to SC in
January of this year and had no problems.