Eifel

Old May 22nd, 2011, 06:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dirk Weber

Default Eifel

Hi,

anybody here ever been to the Eifel? That is a medium high mountain
range in western Germany. Very scenic and a lot of different
landscapes very near together.

We live here now for some 7 years and I enjoy the climate here very
much, with nice summers and sometimes quite a lot of snow in the
winter.

We live in Arft, that is some 5 km from the NÃœrburgring.

Groetjes uit Arft,

Dirk

--
D. Weber
Arft, Germany (50°23'N 7°5'E)
Old May 22nd, 2011, 07:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Beer Tricks Potter

On May 22, 7:52*pm, Dirk Weber wrote:
Hi,

anybody here ever been to the Eifel? That is a medium high mountain
range in western Germany. Very scenic and a lot of different
landscapes very near together.

We live here now for some 7 years and I enjoy the climate here very
much, with nice summers and sometimes quite a lot of snow in the
winter.

We live in Arft, that is some 5 km from the NÜrburgring.

Groetjes uit Arft,

Dirk

--
D. Weber
Arft, Germany (50°23'N *7°5'E)
If possible, no html mails please

what was wrong with neddyland ?
Old May 23rd, 2011, 09:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Dirk Weber wrote:
Hi,

anybody here ever been to the Eifel? That is a medium high mountain
range in western Germany. Very scenic and a lot of different
landscapes very near together.

We live here now for some 7 years and I enjoy the climate here very
much, with nice summers and sometimes quite a lot of snow in the
winter.

We live in Arft, that is some 5 km from the NÃœrburgring.

Groetjes uit Arft,

Dirk

I've been there, though it's been a while 8-)

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old May 25th, 2011, 09:27 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dirk Weber

Beer Tricks Potter schreef:

what was wrong with neddyland ?

Nothing, I enjoyed my stay there very much.

I had a nice job in Barneveld (Gelderland) with an international
software company (follow uo of Baan). We worked in the financial
department - until the company decided to move that department to
India. :-(

So I lost my job and went back to the Eifel. Very nice landscape here,
but no jobs.

For a tourist The Netherlands also are very attractive. Wonderful
landscape, if you don't miss hills (ok, they have some hills at the
garbage dumps), nice sea line (until you dislike to swim in 18 degrees
warm water), interesting native foods. And when you are in Amsterdam
you can get stoned for free - just by standing outside of a
coffieshop, the stuff must be terrific. ;-)

I will go to Leiden, maybe even this summer, that must be a very
scenic town. I once just passed it on my way to the coast (the sea
then had some 20 degrees), lokks very interesting.

btw, did you know that Arft even has a ski lift. During the last three
years we had quite some days when it was open. It is most of all just
known by the regional people, but very nice to go with. The forests
here are rather quiet, not these masses of tourists as at the Hohe
Acht (appr. just some 6 km from here!).

Groetjes uit Arft,

Dirk

Old May 26th, 2011, 02:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dirk Weber

Martin schreef:

interesting native foods.

You are kidding?

Don't you like real Dutch food? Those rolls which look so nice and
crispy and are as soft as rubber, these colorful cakes which are just
sweet, the stamppot, a rather exotic speciality ...

;-)

IMHO the best features of Dutch kitchen are the Indonesian recipees or
those from Surinam. These are quite ok.

Groetjes uit Arft,

Dirk

Old May 27th, 2011, 06:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
wooly[_2_]

Martin wrote:
On Thu, 26 May 2011 15:14:33 +0200, Dirk Weber
wrote:

Martin schreef:

interesting native foods.

You are kidding?

Don't you like real Dutch food? Those rolls which look so nice and
crispy and are as soft as rubber, these colorful cakes which are just
sweet, the stamppot, a rather exotic speciality ...

;-)

IMHO the best features of Dutch kitchen are the Indonesian recipees
or those from Surinam. These are quite ok.

Dutch bread, cheese, smoked fish and eel are good too.

Cheese and fish ...ok, but Dutch bread?
are you jocking ?

Old May 28th, 2011, 10:56 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gerrit

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 May 2011 02:51:18 +0200, Wolfgang Schwanke
wrote:

Martin wrote in
m:

For a tourist The Netherlands also are very attractive. Wonderful
landscape, if you don't miss hills (ok, they have some hills at the
garbage dumps), nice sea line

but monotonous. No bays, no cliffs, no rock pools, sea opaque with
crap etc. just sand dunes

What about the islands?

The same but inland is nicer than on the main land.

cordoned off with barb wire.

In the German sand islands they build wooden catwalks through the dunes
so the tourists don't destroy the dunes, no barbed wire.

In parts of UK they manage without either.

(until you dislike to swim in 18 degrees
warm water), interesting native foods.

You are kidding?

I like rijstafel and frites.

Rijstafel is Indonesian. There are plenty of good foreign food
restaurants in NL. I forgot the frites met mayonnaise/sate/curry
sauce/... which are also good.

The sea is 12C at the moment.

It's 14C now.

The North Sea could be quite a beach paradise if it was some 2000 km
further south.

and had mountains and hula girls? :-)
--

Martin

The frites are quite good generally but the crap they douse them with they
can keep.
Why don't they just sell their decent chips with the equally decent fish
they have in other shops?
I guess you can tell I grew up in an English speaking country. :-)

Gerrit - Oz

Old May 28th, 2011, 03:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gerrit

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 May 2011 17:56:50 +0800, "Gerrit" wrote:

The frites are quite good generally but the crap they douse them with they
can keep.

Even the chip saus? :-)

Why don't they just sell their decent chips with the equally decent fish
they have in other shops?

Why is fresh fish so poor in NL. Every test the Dutch CA does finds
the majority of fish on sale is not fresh.

From watching a Dutch TV programme, I know that a retailer selling
fish in IJmuiden, where it was landed, buys it wholesale in Rungis in
Paris. Sometimes it is returned to NL in the same refrigerated trucks
that were used to export the fish to Rungis.

Not quite as bad as the Scottish herring that is transported to Thailand and
turned into kippers and then sent back to Scotland (and England for that
matter) to be sold as genuine Scottish kippers. :-)

But I was not referring to fresh fish but the fried variety as you probably
realised.

Gerrit - Oz

Old May 29th, 2011, 11:07 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gerrit

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 May 2011 22:06:42 +0800, "Gerrit" wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 28 May 2011 17:56:50 +0800, "Gerrit" wrote:

The frites are quite good generally but the crap they douse them with
they
can keep.

Even the chip saus? :-)

Why don't they just sell their decent chips with the equally decent fish
they have in other shops?

Why is fresh fish so poor in NL. Every test the Dutch CA does finds
the majority of fish on sale is not fresh.

From watching a Dutch TV programme, I know that a retailer selling
fish in IJmuiden, where it was landed, buys it wholesale in Rungis in
Paris. Sometimes it is returned to NL in the same refrigerated trucks
that were used to export the fish to Rungis.

Not quite as bad as the Scottish herring that is transported to Thailand
and
turned into kippers and then sent back to Scotland (and England for that
matter) to be sold as genuine Scottish kippers. :-)

LOL

But I was not referring to fresh fish but the fried variety as you
probably
realised.

We seemed to have omitted referring to broodje kroket so far
--

Don't get me started on that.:-)

Gerrit - Oz

Old May 29th, 2011, 06:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
wooly[_2_]

Martin wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 May 2011 17:56:50 +0800, "Gerrit" wrote:

The frites are quite good generally but the crap they douse them
with they
can keep.

Even the chip saus? :-)

Why don't they just sell their decent chips with the equally
decent fish they have in other shops?

Why is fresh fish so poor in NL. Every test the Dutch CA does
finds the majority of fish on sale is not fresh.

From watching a Dutch TV programme, I know that a retailer selling
fish in IJmuiden, where it was landed, buys it wholesale in
Rungis in Paris. Sometimes it is returned to NL in the same
refrigerated trucks that were used to export the fish to Rungis.

Not quite as bad as the Scottish herring that is transported to
Thailand and
turned into kippers and then sent back to Scotland (and England
for that matter) to be sold as genuine Scottish kippers. :-)

LOL

But I was not referring to fresh fish but the fried variety as you
probably
realised.

We seemed to have omitted referring to broodje kroket so far
--

Don't get me started on that.:-)

I have :-)

My daughter who went to a school in NL, went to a reunion in London
recently. Some bright spark arranged it in a Heineken pub which sold
broodje Krokets. it reminded her of why she lives and works in UK.

I used to like them in the early 70ties when my 'Geschmacksinn' wasn't
developed.