Travel insurance for Senior's

Old June 30th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Alec

Default Travel insurance for Senior's

"Derek F" wrote in message

"Alec" wrote in message

"Derek F" wrote in message
Any recommendations for annual travel insurance for a couple

approaching
70?
Last years European cover (with Preferential) of £118 is now going up

£153 and this year we need Worldwide. No major health problems, last

year
my
controlled hypertension and acid reflux was included in the quote.

Since
then a small aortic aneurysm has been discovered which will be

measured
again in 18 months and my blood sugar has gone up to 7.3 which

medicine
by
numbers says is Diabetic as the normal limit is 7.1! When I asked my

doctor
what to say to an insurance company, he said "Tell them nothing, none

of
it
is really a factor"

For those aged 70-74, Which? recommends annual policy for those with medical
conditions:
insureandgo £125
www.halifax.co.uk/insurance £140.
For 75+ (for future reference):
www.americanexpress.co.uk/travelquote £158 (no max age)

Alec

Old June 30th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Jan

Derek F wrote:
"Alec" wrote in message

"Derek F" wrote in message
Any recommendations for annual travel insurance for a couple
approaching 70? Last years European cover (with Preferential) of
£118 is now going up to £153 and this year we need Worldwide. No
major health problems, last year my controlled hypertension and
acid reflux was included in the quote. Since then a small aortic
aneurysm has been discovered which will be measured again in 18
months and my blood sugar has gone up to 7.3 which medicine by
numbers says is Diabetic as the normal limit is 7.1! When I asked
my doctor what to say to an insurance company, he said "Tell them
nothing, none of it is really a factor"

Recent report in Which? recommends the following as good for
world-wide annual cover for 65-69 year olds, with quote:

I will soon be 70.

www.annualcoverdirect.co.uk £54

Age limit 69

www.marksandspencer.com/travelinsurance £63

Marks & Spencer Travel Insurance has no age limit for single trip
cover. However, their annual multi trip product is not available to
persons aged over 70

www.goldfish.com £83

Goldfish does not do travel insurance except by phone
www.insureandgo.com £85

Their quote without any medical conditions £109.40 per person.

National Australia Group £89 from Clydesdale, Northern and Yorkshire
Bank.

I will enquire at my local Clydesdale.
Derek.

What did Lloyds TSB Quote you?

Jan

Old June 30th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Derek F

"Jan" wrote in message
Derek F wrote:
"Alec" wrote in message

"Derek F" wrote in message
[...]

Not tried them yet after a very nasty experience on a property insurance
claim on a policy taken out with them through Goldfish!!! We were flooded in
May 2002 and put in a claim, they promptly sent an insurance assessor and
they authorised work to go ahead and for us to rent temporary accommodation.
After six weeks of builders working on the property and no money from Lloyds
TSB for the rent we had been paying despite constant reminders to the
assessors they suddenly announced during a phone call to them that my policy
had been cancelled as I had not paid the premium despite them having sent me
two reminders (not received)
My credit card had not been debited for the premium for the policy renewed
in March of that year although I had received the new policy documents. As
the amount was not on my April statement I had sent a cheque to Goldfish
with a covering letter as we were going on holiday in late April. In May I
had phoned Goldfish as my next statement showed me in credit, they said that
TSB were often slow in taking payments. I suggested to TSB that as all phone
calls are recorded that they should get Goldfish to check them for the day
that I made the payment. They phoned back to say that the Goldfish operator
had keyed in a wrong digit for my credit card number and that the policy was
now valid.
Building work was eventually finished, new carpets laid and household
appliances replaced when I got a frantic call from the builder to say that
the insurance assessors who had by now been paid by TSB had gone into
receivership. Eventually TSB had to appoint new assessors to handle the
1000's of claims and pay out again. I hate to be stranded abroad wondering
if Goldfish or TSB had got the paperwork right this time:-)
Derek.

Old July 6th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Derek F

"Jan" wrote in message
Derek F wrote:
Any recommendations for annual travel insurance for a couple
approaching 70? Last years European cover (with Preferential) of £118
is now going up to £153 and this year we need Worldwide. No major
health problems, last year my controlled hypertension and acid reflux
was included in the quote. Since then a small aortic aneurysm has
been discovered which will be measured again in 18 months and my
blood sugar has gone up to 7.3 which medicine by numbers says is
Diabetic as the normal limit is 7.1! When I asked my doctor what to
say to an insurance company, he said "Tell them nothing, none of it
is really a factor"
Derek.

My mother (age 73) was quoted £189.05 for single person worldwide cover

with
Preferential ( this includes 5% discount for no claims).
LLoyds TSB have quoted £111.77 for the same level of cover, Ph. 0800 072
3321.
Eagle star also are supposed to be reasonably priced for senior cover,
though I haven't got through to them yet, Ph 0800 555 200

HTH

Jan

I went for the Lloyds TSB option which cost £202.40 for a couple

(Worldwide) which is slightly better than your mothers rate. The only thing
that they would not cover me for was Acid Reflux as the doctor had changed
the medication that I take for it March. They do not cover any condition
where the medication has been changed in the past six months. Strange as
this is the most effective of the five proton pump inhibitors that I have
had!
Derek.