Why do people live in Florida?

Old September 5th, 2004, 12:04 AM
puzzled

Default Why do people live in Florida?

A massive hurricane seems to hit Florida every few years. I really don't
understand why people continue to live there. Don't they get tired of having
to evacuate every summer, and having their houses destroyed? Someone explain
this to me.

Old September 5th, 2004, 12:28 AM
Louis Boyd

puzzled wrote:
A massive hurricane seems to hit Florida every few years. I really don't
understand why people continue to live there. Don't they get tired of having
to evacuate every summer, and having their houses destroyed? Someone explain
this to me.

It's explained by warm weather, nice beaches, and senility. Also cheap
hurricane insurance. The Bible also explains it. Something about fools
building their homes on sand.

Old September 5th, 2004, 01:04 AM
Vandeman

"Peter L" wrote in :
Where else would you want them to live? Twister alley? Earthquake
country? Buffalo?

Earthquakes and tornados don't hit the same neighborhoods every few years.

Old September 5th, 2004, 01:08 AM
Orion

Floods damn sure do...

"Vandeman" wrote in message
"Peter L" wrote in

:
Where else would you want them to live? Twister alley? Earthquake
country? Buffalo?

Earthquakes and tornados don't hit the same neighborhoods every few years.

---

Old September 5th, 2004, 01:13 AM
ken1959

Neither do Hurricanes. We got hit hard by Andrew. Since then, nothing,
including Frances currently. What we have gone through this time is now
worse than a summer thunderstorm.

Ken

"Vandeman" wrote in message
"Peter L" wrote in
:

Old September 5th, 2004, 02:07 AM
Pete Platis

puzzled wrote in message
A massive hurricane seems to hit Florida every few years. I really don't
understand why people continue to live there. Don't they get tired of

having
to evacuate every summer, and having their houses destroyed? Someone

explain
this to me.

Well , hurricanes are one reason but Florida has a host of others to
stay away:

1. Cockroaches ......LOTS OF EM ( also known as "palmetto bugs" in order to
water down the icky factor, don't be fooled though, they are just larger
roaches......that fly........very well) and a plethora of other pests that
you WILL come into contact with on a personal level whether you want to or
not..........this includes scorpions and brown recluse spiders btw, both
poisonous.

2. Staggering humidity ( well not all of florida but anything south of the
tropical line is brutal)

3. Job market isn't so great.

4. There ain't no mountains, not a one!. There has basically GOT to be
something wrong with that. In fact , the highest point in the state is only
a measely *345* feet high!.

5. Swamps........hell most of the state is a swamp.

6. Highest percentage of over 80 year olds behind the wheel of a
car.......THAT can't be a good thing.

7. Alot of white trash, yeah I know that can be found in alot of states.
Just seems worse in Florida for some reason though.

8. Basically Florida has one or 2 seasons, depending on where you live in
the state. For a 4 season kinda guy like me , not a good thing.

9. Alligators coming into contact with people in or near their homes,
killing or maiming them and/or their pets. It's not a good thing. Been
happening more frequently too.

10. FLORIDIANS ARE VOTING-MACHINE CHALLENGED.

In case any of you are wondering, yeah I spent a couple of years in that
awful state.

Enjoy the remainder of your evening.

Old September 5th, 2004, 02:14 AM
Pete Platis

"Pete Platis" wrote in message
ink.net...

puzzled wrote in message
[...]

Relax floridians. I'll post a list on the good things in
florida. Tough to come up with 10 of em though .

Old September 5th, 2004, 02:27 AM
William Brackeen

puzzled wrote in message
A massive hurricane seems to hit Florida every few years. I really

don't
understand why people continue to live there. Don't they get tired of

having
to evacuate every summer, and having their houses destroyed? Someone

explain
this to me.

Well , hurricanes are one reason but Florida has a host of others

stay away:

1. Cockroaches ......LOTS OF EM ( also known as "palmetto bugs" in order

water down the icky factor, don't be fooled though, they are just larger
roaches......that fly........very well) and a plethora of other pests that
you WILL come into contact with on a personal level whether you want to or
not..........this includes scorpions and brown recluse spiders btw, both
poisonous.

Most of these insects can also be found in Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi,
and Louisiana. Scorpions and brown recluses are also native to Tennesse and
Arkansas, probably Texas, the Carolinas, and Oklahoma. That covers most, if
not all, of the Southern United States.

2. Staggering humidity ( well not all of florida but anything south of the
tropical line is brutal)

Again, see most of the Southern US.

3. Job market isn't so great.

I'm sensing a theme here.

4. There ain't no mountains, not a one!. There has basically GOT to be
something wrong with that. In fact , the highest point in the state is

only
a measely *345* feet high!.

Ok, Florida takes the hit on this one. But I don't consider that a bad
thing. I live in Arkansas and every day I curse what these hills are doing
to my gas mileage.

5. Swamps........hell most of the state is a swamp.

Ok, I'll give you swamps.

6. Highest percentage of over 80 year olds behind the wheel of a
car.......THAT can't be a good thing.

Ditto.

7. Alot of white trash, yeah I know that can be found in alot of states.
Just seems worse in Florida for some reason though.

See my answer to No. 1.

8. Basically Florida has one or 2 seasons, depending on where you live in
the state. For a 4 season kinda guy like me , not a good thing.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I'd get rid of winter in a
heartbeat if I could.