Mum accused of trafficking daughter in airline blunder

Old February 27th, 2006, 10:08 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

Default Mum accused of trafficking daughter in airline blunder

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 21:49:26 -0000, "Miss L. Toe"
wrote:

Do babies sharing a parents seat get a separate boarding card ?

I honestly don't know the answer to that, or even if there is one standard
answer for all UK airports.
--
Lansbury
www.uk-air.net
Old February 27th, 2006, 10:39 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

"Miss L. Toe" wrote in message
reenews.net...

Do babies sharing a parents seat get a separate boarding card ?
If so security at the departure point would also be at fault.

If not - maybe they should - or someone might go and hide a laptop in one

Yes, they do. I travelled frequently with my son when he was under 2 and he
always got a boarding card, on every carrier (mostly Easyjet but some others
too). The card wasn't always marked with his name - sometimes just "infant
familyname" but he always had one. His documentation was *always* checked
and I'm confident there's no way he would have been allowed to travel if he
hadn't been properly documented.

Old February 27th, 2006, 11:59 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

Miss L. Toe wrote:

Monday, 27th February 2006, 10:02
Category: Crime and Punishment

----
LIFE STYLE EXTRA (UK) - A horrified mum missed her own daughter's
christening and was arrested as a baby trafficker after a blunder by budget
airline Ryanair, it was claimed today.

There are occasions when our U.S. eagerness to file
multimillion dollar civil suits seems justified!

Old February 28th, 2006, 12:03 AM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

B Vaughan wrote:

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 16:48:57 -0000, "Miss L. Toe"
wrote:

Monday, 27th February 2006, 10:02
Category: Crime and Punishment

----
LIFE STYLE EXTRA (UK) - A horrified mum missed her own daughter's
christening and was arrested as a baby trafficker after a blunder by budget
airline Ryanair, it was claimed today.

I don't know why this is considered a blunder by Ryanair. I think it
was a blunder by the family to ask an airline ticket clerk what travel
documents they needed for an infant. As I understand the article, the
child had no documents at all and was not on either of the parents'
passport. There has been a good deal of infant trafficking in Italy
recently and the Italian police were justifiably suspicious of a
totally undocumented baby being brought into the country.

Of course, they never should have been allowed to board the plane, but
the parents bear a greater responsibility than Ryanair in this matter.

I'm not sure I can agree. At least here in the U.S., one
assumes that an airline employee entrusted with booking
overseas flights knows the basic regulations for same.
(Such as who requires a passport, and whether or not visas
are required by the country being visited.)

Old February 28th, 2006, 12:19 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Martin wrote:

I just looked on the UK passport website. No where could I find a
statement that said all children have to have their own passports
nowadays, which I think is the case. In the old days they could be on
a parent's passport, until they really needed one of their own.

See http://www.passport.gov.uk/passport_child_law.asp
Old February 28th, 2006, 05:16 AM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

Miss L. Toe wrote:\

Do they - If they specifically asked Ryanair for specific advice ?
Who were they supposed to ask for advice ?

I would guess the logical people to ask would be the representatives of
the government of the country they are going to.... you know, the
Italian consular people.
Old February 28th, 2006, 05:18 AM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

Lansbury wrote:

On 27 Feb 2006 10:55:09 -0800, "george" wrote:

It's unfortunate that the airline's
personnel don't always know all the rules and regulations

that is why all the rules and regulations are part of the reservation system
and they also have access to the online version of TIM.

There is no way that child should have been checked in, then let through
security or then let on an aircraft. Ryanair in the airport of departure are
completely at fault.

Since the baby wouldn't have gotten the passport in time, they would
have still been out the money for the plane tickets and the other expenses.
Old February 28th, 2006, 06:17 AM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

here in the US blah blah blah

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" a écrit dans le
message de news: ...

Old February 28th, 2006, 07:18 AM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

In message , at
05:16:31 on Tue, 28 Feb 2006, mrtravel remarked:
Do they - If they specifically asked Ryanair for specific advice ?
Who were they supposed to ask for advice ?

I would guess the logical people to ask would be the representatives of
the government of the country they are going to.... you know, the
Italian consular people.

That might cover the "getting into Italy" part, but not perhaps the
"getting out of the UK" or the "getting onto a plane" parts.

The three sets of rules are not necessarily identical!

The one organisation with experience of all three is the airline.
--
Roland Perry