Hurricanes and ships

Old September 7th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Heather

We are up in the Chesapeake now. Our daughter in Miami has got her
storm shutters up (and called yesterday to say they were going stir
crazy). She went thro Andrew and knows it's no joke though.

We secured the boat for Isabel and rode it out OK. The boat was fine
http://p.vtourist.com/1491508.jpg is a picture at low tide the next
day- tide is still about knee high over the top of the docks. We were
without electricity for about a week but we did have a generator
(which we already had). Then when Gaston was threatening, Bob took
off the bimini and ripped some of the stitching out so had to repair
it before he could put it back on. We never got any real wind for
that. We've been sailing in worse.

Glad all is cool. Our vessel is pretty close to where you are. That is great
that Bob fixed the sunbrella himself. Be safe and I hope you had a superb Labor
Day Holiday :-)

-Heather
Remove CanOspam to email
http://members.aol.com/nookeybear/index1.htm

Old September 7th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Rosalie B.

anOspam (Heather) wrote:

We are up in the Chesapeake now. Our daughter in Miami has got her
storm shutters up (and called yesterday to say they were going stir
crazy). She went thro Andrew and knows it's no joke though.

We secured the boat for Isabel and rode it out OK. The boat was fine
http://p.vtourist.com/1491508.jpg is a picture at low tide the next
day- tide is still about knee high over the top of the docks. We were
without electricity for about a week but we did have a generator
(which we already had). Then when Gaston was threatening, Bob took
off the bimini and ripped some of the stitching out so had to repair
it before he could put it back on. We never got any real wind for
that. We've been sailing in worse.

Glad all is cool. Our vessel is pretty close to where you are.

Where is that? (yours I mean)

That is great
that Bob fixed the sunbrella himself.

It would have been easier if it had been sunbrella, but it isn't - it
is stamoid which is a plastic. Main problem of course was the size of
it.

Be safe and I hope you had a superb Labor
Day Holiday :-)

Well we had to go to a funeral Friday of Bob's aunt, and we were
waiting to go out in the boat until Frances's other shoe dropped. I'm
hoping to get some sailing in before November when we go to Bermuda on
NCL.

grandma Rosalie
Old September 8th, 2004, 03:34 AM
Heather

Where is that? (yours I mean)

Mears near the #7A Range Marker.

It would have been easier if it had been sunbrella, but it isn't - it
is stamoid which is a plastic. Main problem of course was the size of
it.

An Isenglass Enclosure?

Well we had to go to a funeral Friday of Bob's aunt, and we were
waiting to go out in the boat until Frances's other shoe dropped. I'm
hoping to get some sailing in before November when we go to Bermuda on
NCL.

Sorry to hear about the loss. Are you taking the final run to Bermuda?

Old September 8th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Helen

"Tom & Linda" wrote in message . net...
"Vivian" wrote in message

According to a recent posting by Ray, the Bahamas appear to be already back
in business. Hotels are open and taking reservations. Ships will be
docking in Nassau within the week.

Seems the Bahamas are bouncing back very quickly.

--Tom

How about Princess Cays, their private island in the Bahamas? Helen
Old September 8th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Charles

In article , Rosalie B.
wrote:

On the way back from the funeral we went by Seagirt and Dundalk Marine
Terminals. Is DMT where the cruise ships come in? I looked them up
on the internet and couldn't tell.

Yes. That is the terminal used by Celebrity, RCI and Carnival. NCL uses
a different terminal.

http://www.mpa.state.md.us/cruises/

--
Charles

I have a few Gmail invitations.

Old September 8th, 2004, 10:02 PM

Vivian wrote:

What did happen to all of the ships due to depart and return to the East
Coast of Florida?
This must be a nightmare for the travel industry. The airports were closed,
the hotels all full and no ships.
I heard that the Bahamas and several of the private islands are basically
out of business for a long while. I'm just interested in how the ships and
the industry manages in this situation.
Thanks......

The ships based at Port Canaveral extended their cruises and then sailed
to Miami which re-opened before Port Canaveral. The lines then ran
shortened cruises at low prices along with on-board credit to those who
sailed the shortened cruises. They offered refunds to those who wanted
to cancel and provided transportation between Miami/Orlando airport/Port
Canaveral, etc. Ray has posted details of all of this.