Norwegian Majesty out of Boston? Need info please.

Old March 28th, 2007, 06:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
robr

Default Norwegian Majesty out of Boston? Need info please.

We need a break, but with a 2 year old and a 10 month old, I don't
want to deal with carting tons of crap onto airplanes or deal with
driving anywhere. Since we're near Boston, I was thinking a cruise
would make sense. Just schlep all our crap down to the pier, we have
a room as base camp, then schlep it back home in a week. None of the
usual stress associated with rental cars, installing rental car seats
that never fit properly, and carting your strollers, porta-cribs and
associated 12 tons of gear everywhere. I did that to Hawaii last year
and my wife and I almost killed each other. Never again.

So, as far as I can tell, the only option I have is the Norwegian
Majesty... there don't appear to be any other cruises or ships with a
departure point of Boston, or so the search engines tell me.

From what I've read, the rooms on this particular ship are very

small. Would we have enough room to set up a portable crib in an
economy priced outside cabin? I suppose one of the kids would have to
sleep with us.

What about snacks and simple food? Are they available 24/7 or just
morning to night or just certain hours? When I was on Carnival I
found you could get a burger pretty much from 6am to 2am. On Royal
Carribean I found you could only get a burger during 'designated meal
times'.

Any other things I haven't asked that come to mind? Thanks very much.

Old March 28th, 2007, 07:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
robr

On Mar 28, 1:50 pm, "robr" wrote:
We need a break, but with a 2 year old and a 10 month old, I don't
want to deal with carting tons of crap onto airplanes or deal with
driving anywhere. Since we're near Boston, I was thinking a cruise
would make sense. Just schlep all our crap down to the pier, we have
a room as base camp, then schlep it back home in a week. None of the
usual stress associated with rental cars, installing rental car seats
that never fit properly, and carting your strollers, porta-cribs and
associated 12 tons of gear everywhere. I did that to Hawaii last year
and my wife and I almost killed each other. Never again.

So, as far as I can tell, the only option I have is the Norwegian
Majesty... there don't appear to be any other cruises or ships with a
departure point of Boston, or so the search engines tell me.

From what I've read, the rooms on this particular ship are very

small. Would we have enough room to set up a portable crib in an
economy priced outside cabin? I suppose one of the kids would have to
sleep with us.

What about snacks and simple food? Are they available 24/7 or just
morning to night or just certain hours? When I was on Carnival I
found you could get a burger pretty much from 6am to 2am. On Royal
Carribean I found you could only get a burger during 'designated meal
times'.

Any other things I haven't asked that come to mind? Thanks very much.

It appears cruise lines charge full fare for a 2 year old?? That's
ridiculous. They also want port charges and taxes for my 10 month
old. Not sure how much that comes to generally but this is moving
beyond the budget I had planned. I figured like just about anything
else travel related, 2 year old and under are generally free.

Old March 28th, 2007, 07:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Mar 28, 2:13 pm, "robr" wrote:
On Mar 28, 1:50 pm, "robr" wrote:

We need a break, but with a 2 year old and a 10 month old, I don't
want to deal with carting tons of crap onto airplanes or deal with
driving anywhere. Since we're near Boston, I was thinking a cruise
would make sense. Just schlep all our crap down to the pier, we have
a room as base camp, then schlep it back home in a week. None of the
usual stress associated with rental cars, installing rental car seats
that never fit properly, and carting your strollers, porta-cribs and
associated 12 tons of gear everywhere. I did that to Hawaii last year
and my wife and I almost killed each other. Never again.

So, as far as I can tell, the only option I have is the Norwegian
Majesty... there don't appear to be any other cruises or ships with a
departure point of Boston, or so the search engines tell me.

From what I've read, the rooms on this particular ship are very

small. Would we have enough room to set up a portable crib in an
economy priced outside cabin? I suppose one of the kids would have to
sleep with us.

What about snacks and simple food? Are they available 24/7 or just
morning to night or just certain hours? When I was on Carnival I
found you could get a burger pretty much from 6am to 2am. On Royal
Carribean I found you could only get a burger during 'designated meal
times'.

Any other things I haven't asked that come to mind? Thanks very much.

It appears cruise lines charge full fare for a 2 year old?? That's
ridiculous. They also want port charges and taxes for my 10 month
old. Not sure how much that comes to generally but this is moving
beyond the budget I had planned. I figured like just about anything
else travel related, 2 year old and under are generally free.

Will your child be eating? Drinking? Participating in the kids program
(might be too young)? Using towels? Adding to the service needed to
maintain your cabin?

You should check, though. Usually, the third and fourth passengers in
a cabin get deeply discounted rates, regardless of age.

Lee

Old March 28th, 2007, 07:39 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Nonnymus[_2_]

Our son's family is about the same age as yours and let me assure you
that the cruise lines show no mercy when charging for children, treating
them as third and 4th passengers in the cabin. Airlines generally let
2YO fly free if held in the lap, but that's it. Plan on getting a
cabin for 4, since you're paying for it.

Outside of that, a cruise is a wonderful place for grandparents, kids
and grandkids to spend time together. The Nonnyfamily is going to be
doing it at the end of April on George Leppla's GGC out of California.
You are absolutely right about only moving the baby stuff once onto and
once off the ship. Be sure to show consideration for your fellow
passengers by removing a crying baby from public areas and not letting
the 2YO get into trouble. Outside of that, a cruise is a great vacation
for people with children, and you'll be impressed with how welcome the
kids are.

Nonny

robr wrote:
On Mar 28, 1:50 pm, "robr" wrote:
We need a break, but with a 2 year old and a 10 month old, I don't
want to deal with carting tons of crap onto airplanes or deal with
driving anywhere. Since we're near Boston, I was thinking a cruise
would make sense. Just schlep all our crap down to the pier, we have
a room as base camp, then schlep it back home in a week. None of the
usual stress associated with rental cars, installing rental car seats
that never fit properly, and carting your strollers, porta-cribs and
associated 12 tons of gear everywhere. I did that to Hawaii last year
and my wife and I almost killed each other. Never again.

So, as far as I can tell, the only option I have is the Norwegian
Majesty... there don't appear to be any other cruises or ships with a
departure point of Boston, or so the search engines tell me.

From what I've read, the rooms on this particular ship are very

--
---Nonnymus---

TINSTAAFL
There Is No Such Thing
As A Free Lunch
Old March 28th, 2007, 07:52 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
robr

On Mar 28, 2:33 pm, "LeeNY" wrote:
On Mar 28, 2:13 pm, "robr" wrote:

On Mar 28, 1:50 pm, "robr" wrote:

We need a break, but with a 2 year old and a 10 month old, I don't
want to deal with carting tons of crap onto airplanes or deal with
driving anywhere. Since we're near Boston, I was thinking a cruise
would make sense. Just schlep all our crap down to the pier, we have
a room as base camp, then schlep it back home in a week. None of the
usual stress associated with rental cars, installing rental car seats
that never fit properly, and carting your strollers, porta-cribs and
associated 12 tons of gear everywhere. I did that to Hawaii last year
and my wife and I almost killed each other. Never again.

So, as far as I can tell, the only option I have is the Norwegian
Majesty... there don't appear to be any other cruises or ships with a
departure point of Boston, or so the search engines tell me.

From what I've read, the rooms on this particular ship are very

[...]

Thanks for the responses, after doing further research, it seems that
a cruise is not for us with such young children. The 2yo (who would
not be participating in any activities or eating more than meager
scraps of peanut butter and jelly type food) can't even use the kiddie
pool since he isn't fully potty trained yet. He loves playing in the
water and we wouldn't be able to even hang out on the deck with him
because he'd be miserable that he couldn't go in the water. Oh well,
maybe in a few years. Guess I'll just have to rent a beach cottage
for a week or something.

Old March 28th, 2007, 08:51 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
PETE

I was on the NCL Majesty a few years ago, and the ship is small, but
very nice, and the service was great!!!

Old March 28th, 2007, 10:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Default Norwegian Majesty out of Boston? Beware of Boston stevedores.

I wouldn't trust the stevedores to get your luggage on the ship safely.

I have taken the Majesty from Boston several times and last time one
piece of luggage was "shredded" by the conveyor belt and delivered to my
cabin empty and in many pieces.

I reported it to the purser, who said negotiated a settlement figure of
$500, down from my loss of $1,500 and told me the check would be in the
mailbox on my return home.

Naturally, there was no check and NCL's contract reads a responsibility
of only $100 per passenger.

I contacted Massport many times and they just don't give a damn, and
send the passenger back to the cruise line.

I would ever cruise from Boston without insurance or taking my luggage
abord myself!

Inspector Gadget

Old March 29th, 2007, 01:27 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Uncle Peter

Was looking at the Majesty for a cheap spring cruise next
year out of Boston, just to see Bermuda for more than
a quick stop. The member reviews over at CruiseCritic
really scared the heck out of me--I know its impossible
to make everone happy, but the Majesty seemed to have
some really bad press.

Pete

Old March 29th, 2007, 02:12 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

It seems you are right,a cruise may not be for you,how much fun can you
have on a cruise with a 2yo and a 10 month old,seems like the way you
are having your children it will be a long time before you can cruise in
comfort.

cruise lover

Old March 29th, 2007, 04:33 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
robr

On Mar 28, 9:12 pm, (Surfer E2468) wrote:
It seems you are right,a cruise may not be for you,how much fun can you
have on a cruise with a 2yo and a 10 month old,seems like the way you
are having your children it will be a long time before you can cruise in
comfort.

cruise lover

the way im having them? im pretty sure i had them the same way most
others do.
we're done, we wanted two close together in age.