best exchange rate: ATM versus Credit Card

Old June 21st, 2007, 07:00 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

Default best exchange rate: ATM versus Credit Card

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 04:47:21 +0200, Alfred Molon
wrote:

In article ,
says...

This is kind of ridicolous. People won't accept bills larger than $20?
Why?

Probably for the same reason people won't accept large Euro notes?
Risk of forgeries???

Here in Germany the notes you get from the ATM are typically 50 or 100
Euros. Some ATMs will give big notes + some smaller ones, i.e.
withdrawing 300 Euro you might get 2 x 100 + 50 + 2 x 20 + 10 or 6 x 50
Euro.

My goodness. Germans must like to carry a lot of cash.

Old June 21st, 2007, 09:47 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

wrote:

In article ,
says...

This is kind of ridicolous. People won't accept bills larger than $20?
Why?

Probably for the same reason people won't accept large Euro notes?
Risk of forgeries???

Here in Germany the notes you get from the ATM are typically 50 or 100
Euros. Some ATMs will give big notes + some smaller ones, i.e.
withdrawing 300 Euro you might get 2 x 100 + 50 + 2 x 20 + 10 or 6 x 50
Euro.

My goodness. Germans must like to carry a lot of cash.

That's what happens if most shops won't take Credit Cards.

tim

Old June 21st, 2007, 04:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article ,
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

I can remember when you could fill the tank using a $5 bill,
and have change left over! (Since the Honda Civic I drove
then got about 40 mpg in the city, I cannot get too excited
about the ads for "high mileage" claiming "35 mpg on the
highway", now!)

Ever since gas hit $3, I have occasional flashbacks to when my daughter
was in high school and it was 3 gallons for $1 8-)

As for mileage claims, my 13-year-old little station wagon with
automatic transmission still gets up to 30mpg on the highway.

--
Mary, biblioholic

bib-li-o-hol-ism : the habitual longing to purchase, read, store,
admire, and consume books in excess.

http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~erilarlo
Old June 21st, 2007, 04:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article ,
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

(Since I discovered
that I can pay for my groceries with my ATM card and get
"cash back" sans any ATM fees, I seldom even USE an ATM
machine unless I am traveling.)

Oh, yes 8-) I call it ripping off the credit card company, since I
always pay up every month 8-) When I'm traveling I have to use an ATM
to get foreign currency. That's the only time I use them, too.

Old June 21st, 2007, 05:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 10:00:34 -0500, erilar
wrote:

In article ,
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

I can remember when you could fill the tank using a $5 bill,
and have change left over! (Since the Honda Civic I drove
then got about 40 mpg in the city, I cannot get too excited
about the ads for "high mileage" claiming "35 mpg on the
highway", now!)

Ever since gas hit $3, I have occasional flashbacks to when my daughter
was in high school and it was 3 gallons for $1 8-)

TWIAVBP

Obviously Americans.

As for mileage claims, my 13-year-old little station wagon with
automatic transmission still gets up to 30mpg on the highway.

Yep.

Old June 21st, 2007, 06:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

erilar wrote:

Ever since gas hit $3, I have occasional flashbacks to when my daughter
was in high school and it was 3 gallons for $1 8-)

As for mileage claims, my 13-year-old little station wagon with
automatic transmission still gets up to 30mpg on the highway.

The only reason I got rid of my old Honda was that it was
about to need a new motor, and I didn't have the money for
one. (One can finance a new car, but not a new motor.)
I've regretted it ever since - I had a '78 Civic that had
everything I ever wanted in a car (except air-conditioning).
I traded it in on a '91 Civic assuming I was buying
essentially the same car in a newer version. (NEVER
"assume"!) The wheel base was wider (meaning I could no
longer angle into parking spaces too small for "normal"
cars), I needed new brake pads at 18,000 miles (compared to
35,000 on the previous car), and the final straw was the
Friday evening I came out to the office parking lot to a
dead battery, only to discover that it was NOT a standard
size and shape, only Honda carried it, and their service
department was just about to close for the weekend when I
drove in! (I had not paid attention to the fact that a car
manufactured in Japan in 1977 was being made in the U.S.
when I bought its replacement in 1991.)
Old June 21st, 2007, 06:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote:

In article ,
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

I can remember when you could fill the tank using a $5 bill,
and have change left over! (Since the Honda Civic I drove
then got about 40 mpg in the city, I cannot get too excited
about the ads for "high mileage" claiming "35 mpg on the
highway", now!)

Ever since gas hit $3, I have occasional flashbacks to when my daughter
was in high school and it was 3 gallons for $1 8-)

TWIAVBP

Obviously Americans.

LOL! I have to admit we've been spoiled - most of the world
has always paid considerably more for gas/petrol than we
have. (Although I could never understand why gas prices in
the Upper Midwest - where they must rely upon pipelines -
have always been about 25% cheaper than in Southern
Califonria where we had oil-wells and refineries practically
in our own back yards!)