It's not just me!

Old October 2nd, 2003, 01:32 AM
Deep Freud Moors

Default It's not just me!

Owain wrote in message
"Deep Freud Moors" wrote
| I often spend time away from my computer at home (travelling around so
much
| and all). Google is pretty awful to use, but is very useful when
travelling.
| If there is an alternative and better web-based news service, I would be
| interested in trying it.

I believe rte is available as a web forum on one of the british ex-pat
websites.

If the problem is that you have a laptop, but your ISP won't allow access

their NNTP server unless you are dialled in to them, you could consider
something like clara.net Mail and News, which gives you access to POP3,
NNTP, SMTP and some webspace, from any ISP, for about a tenner a year.

This
might also be useful to AOL customers who don't get SMTP/NNTP.

The problem is largely that most of the places I visit are poor, with
minimal high tech infrastructure, and I rarely stay in one place for more
that a few weeks. I would have to take along a variety of modem cards, and
would need to arrange dial-up access at each port of call. Taking the laptop
is not worth the effort.

The possibility of having it stolen exists too. It is much, much more
convenient to use a web-based version in a net cafe somewhere. Travelling
light makes things MUCH easier in my view.
---
DFM

Old October 2nd, 2003, 10:55 AM
David Horne

Owain wrote:

If the problem is that you have a laptop, but your ISP won't allow access to
their NNTP server unless you are dialled in to them, you could consider
something like clara.net Mail and News, which gives you access to POP3,
NNTP, SMTP and some webspace, from any ISP, for about a tenner a year.

There are free pop/smtp/nntp services- though I can't think of one that
does all three. For NNTP I'd recommend news.individual.net- invaluable
if you're taking the laptop to other countries.

I'd be interested in a decent WAP portal, because then I could read
newsgroups relatively cheaply while roaming abroad, from the phone, or
very cheaply while travelling around the UK. There is at least one I've
tried, but it's got a terrible interface.

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.co.uk
davidhorne (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk
Old October 2nd, 2003, 03:48 PM
Jon Bell

In article ,
Bert Hyman wrote:

In order to use a "real" newsreader, you have to have access to a "real"
news server, which for some people means paying "real" money :-)

Are those people somehow forbidden from using
http://news.individual.net/, for example?

--
Jon Bell Presbyterian College
Old October 2nd, 2003, 08:24 PM
Hatunen

On 02 Oct 2003 15:30:11 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote:

In (Jon Bell)
wrote:

In article ,
Bert Hyman wrote:

In order to use a "real" newsreader, you have to have access to a "real"
news server, which for some people means paying "real" money :-)

Are those people somehow forbidden from using
http://news.individual.net/, for example?

Since you're the second person to bring this up, I'll repeat that for
"some" people, this means paying real money.

Which part of "free" is it that costs money at
http://news.individual.net? As that site says, "Registration and
use of this NetNews service are free of charge. It is a service
operated by the computer center of Freie Universität Berlin,
Germany."

Not everyone is in the same situation, or is as bright, as you.

Ain't hardly nobody as bright as Jon.