a place to stay in Queensland

Old September 21st, 2004, 01:04 PM
peter lawless

Default a place to stay in Queensland

Hello all,

We are staying in Aus (Sydney) for three weeks in Feb and would like to have
a week up the coast near to the GBR. Can anyone suggest somewhere which they
think is particularly good for a short stay ? We will probably only have
this one shot at it so we want to get it right !
All suggestions, ( assuming that they are reasonable !), will be considered.

Thanks,

Peter

Old September 21st, 2004, 10:23 PM
Julie

Airlie Beach is a good place to stay. Close to the Whitsundays which is
very pretty. Lots of things to do. Have a look at
http://www.queenslandholidays.com.au...rlie_beach.cfm

http://www.holidaynq.com.au/Whitsund...itsundays.html

Julie

Old September 23rd, 2004, 11:11 PM
Ross

Peter, that is a bit like saying "We'll be visiting Miami for 3 weeks and
we'd like to see the Statue of Liberty while we are there".

Sydney to Queensland is 900 kms and the southern most tip of the GBR is a
further 500 kms north from there.

I am afraid you will need to decide - do I want to see just another major
city (Sydney) or do I want to wee the GBR?

Yes. You can fly or drive to Brisbane and Yes. You can fly or drive to a
city or town where you can get to the GBR.

Where is the best place? Sorry. I can't answer that. There are a number
of places from Bundaberg northward stretching right up to Cairns and Port
Douglas. That is a coast line stretching about 1200 kms or more and much of
which is uninhabited.

Try a Google search for GBR cruises using www.google.com.au and select
"pages from Australia" only.

Ross

Old September 24th, 2004, 02:14 AM
Jassy

Hi..

You could probably spend a few days in Sydney and get a flight to Cairns
(about $196 AUD). From there I would get an airport shuttle/bus from Cairns
airport to a hotel in Port Douglas (about 40 minutes) rather than staying in
Cairns. I love Port Douglas and I have stayed at the Radisson Treetops
Resort which is fantastic - but it is not in the budget catergory, so I
guess it depends on how much you are willing to spend. You could go all-out
and stay in Palm Cove which is a beautiful area but very expensive.

I would also suggest checking out Queensland holiday websites
(http://www.sunloverholidays.com/slvhtml/index.asp) and maybe even Lonely
Planet (www.lonelyplanet.com). The Thorn Tree forums at the Lonely Planet
website have some great information about the best places to see the GBR
(beginning, middle or end) and tips on where to stay.

And if all this fails, when you get to Sydney go to a travel agent, get some
brochures and book it that way.

Happy Travels!

Jassy

Old September 24th, 2004, 08:38 AM
peter lawless

Jassy,

Thank you so much. That's plenty to be thinking about.
The picture is getting clearer already !

Peter

Old September 24th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Meg

Look for something you'd like at htt://travel.webhosting-list.com and
http://journey.webhosting-list.com
There are good suggestions for anywhere.
Old September 24th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Meg