How to Sneak Liquor Onboard a Celebrity Cruise?

Old April 5th, 2006, 05:26 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default How to Sneak Liquor Onboard a Celebrity Cruise?

Can I put a couple of bottles inside my suitcase? Something in a carry
on? How is it that they truly prevent people from having their own
liquor! I hate to pay those cruise ship prices.

Old April 5th, 2006, 02:22 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On 4 Apr 2006 21:26:35 -0700, "DGJ" wrote:

Can I put a couple of bottles inside my suitcase? Something in a carry
on? How is it that they truly prevent people from having their own
liquor! I hate to pay those cruise ship prices.

The key word here is "sneak." I wouldn't want to "sneak" anything on
board. There's no integrity in sneaking.

Why not call the line anonymously and ask them if it's possible to
bring your own somehow? I think I know what the answer will be, but
then again, you won't be any worse off than you are now.

My point of view may be slightly different because I don't drink much,
and when I do, it's a treat.

--
Face your fears.
Live your dreams.
Old April 5th, 2006, 02:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

DGJ wrote:
I hate to pay those cruise ship prices.

Drink prices on cruises are cheaper than in the bars around here. I was
at a club in the city this past saturday, and they were charging $6.00
for a bottle of Amstel. I'd gladly pay cruise prices over NY/NJ metro
area prices. Must be a regional thing, this complaint about cruise
alcohol pricing. I've never felt gouged by a drink price on a ship. Of
course, it's always less expensive to drink from your own bottle, in
the comfort of your home. But I find cruise drink prices to be very
competitive with what I'd spend at a neighborhood restaurant, and a
bargain compared to NYC prices.

Lee

Old April 5th, 2006, 03:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On 5 Apr 2006 06:56:30 -0700, "LeeNY" wrote:

But I find cruise drink prices to be very
competitive with what I'd spend at a neighborhood restaurant, and a
bargain compared to NYC prices.

Hi Lee,

You have to remember that NYC prices are among the highest in the US.
Most folks in the heartland pay less.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old April 5th, 2006, 04:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Ray Goldenberg wrote:
On 5 Apr 2006 06:56:30 -0700, "LeeNY" wrote:

But I find cruise drink prices to be very
competitive with what I'd spend at a neighborhood restaurant, and a
bargain compared to NYC prices.

Hi Lee,

You have to remember that NYC prices are among the highest in the US.
Most folks in the heartland pay less.

That's true, Ray. However, most of the US population is concentrated on
the coasts or at least close enough to a big metropolitan area (if I'm
not mistaken) that their cost of living is influenced by their
geography. And, from what I can gather from hints given on this
newsgroup by the regulars, most here live close to a metropolis and are
affected by city prices (or, at least are not ignorant of it).

Like I said, it's all a matter of perspective. I've never been offended
by drink prices on board ship. They've always seemed to be in line or
cheaper than what I'm used to paying here. Honestly, I don't care if
people sneak booze on board. That's their choice. It irks me, just a
little though, when posters cite drink prices as just another way we
passengers are getting gouged...it's just not something I feel is a
legitimate gripe. One always has the option of not drinking if they
find the prices to be that offensive.

Lee

Old April 5th, 2006, 04:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article .com,
"LeeNY" wrote:

Ray Goldenberg wrote:
[...]

I'm one of those that doesn't live in a metro area, nor even very close
to one. A glass of beer here is about a buck-fifty, mixed drinks around
two bucks. Some places a bit higher, and if a band is involved, a bit
more.

But I don't consider cruise drinks grossly overpriced. They are in line
with what I have paid at land resorts and the few times I went to the
big city for an evening.

Heck, they are cheaper than a glass of warm beer at a ball game in St.
Louis!
Old April 5th, 2006, 04:47 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On 5 Apr 2006 08:30:09 -0700, "LeeNY" wrote:

That's true, Ray. However, most of the US population is concentrated on
the coasts or at least close enough to a big metropolitan area (if I'm
not mistaken) that their cost of living is influenced by their
geography.

Hi Lee,

You are correct that Northeast Coast cities and LA/San Francisco have
large populations. High drink prices are not necessarily true in
other large population centers hence my comments regarding pricing in
the heartland. Areas outside of the Northeast Coast cities and
LA/San Francisco are NOT the majority population of the country. This
is why many from other areas are taken aback by cruise drink pricing.
At one time cruise lines were known for selling drinks at much less
than what passengers were use to paying in the heartland.
Unfortunately, this is no longer the case.

Old April 5th, 2006, 04:55 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On Wed, 05 Apr 2006 10:37:12 -0500, Lloyd Parsons
wrote:

But I don't consider cruise drinks grossly overpriced. They are in line
with what I have paid at land resorts and the few times I went to the
big city for an evening.

Hi Lloyd,

Those that think cruise lines charge a lot for a mixed drink better
not vacation at a Caribbean resort unless it is an all-inclusive. If
they do, they will quickly find out what feeling gouged is like. g
BTW, I attended a basketball game in Houston recently. They were
charging $8 for beer and had lines. vbg

Old April 5th, 2006, 05:04 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Lloyd Parsons wrote:
In article .com,
"LeeNY" wrote:

Ray Goldenberg wrote:
[...]

I don't complain about the drink prices on the cruise ships either. I
live in Utah. If I go to a bar, a mixed drink with a well drink (just
like a scotch and water, house scotch) costs $3.50. You get a fancy
drink, like a Pina Colida, $7.00. The State of Utah adds a 33% tax on
it. Drink prices on the cruise ship are normally cheaper than here.
Is is a cheap place like Lone Star Restaurant, or the Olive Garden. I
don't think I have seen a glass of wine under $5 on a menu in the
state. (Maybe, but it would be pushing it.)

If you go to a fancy place, the drinks cost more.

Now, sometimes, I might complain a bit about paying $2.00 for a can of
soda. However, that the cruises lines don't care if you pack in a
couple of bottle of to your cabin.

roland

Old April 5th, 2006, 06:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"DGJ" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can I put a couple of bottles inside my suitcase? Something in a carry
on? How is it that they truly prevent people from having their own
liquor! I hate to pay those cruise ship prices.

Two guys from New York came to Phoenix, Arizona. They saw a sign on a bar
that said, "All Drinks, $.10." (that's correct ten cents.)

They went in and ordered two fancy drinks. The bartender said, "That'll be
twenty cents." They could not believe their good fortune. After about
three drinks they decided to ask the bartender why the drinks were so cheap.
He told them he had won the lottery and was just sharing the wealth.
They noticed two older gentlemen at the end of the bar were not drinking.
They asked why. The bartender said, "Oh, they're from Sun City, they're
waiting for happy hour.