Photos from Australia's Old Pacific Highway

Old January 11th, 2009, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,rec.travel.australia+nz,soc.culture.australian
Carl Rogers

Default Photos from Australia's Old Pacific Highway

Hi Viatologists,

If you find yourself in New South Wales, the Old Pacific Highway provides an
excellent glimpse of tropical rain-forest, Tweed Valley, and Mount Warning.
At the same time, it is one of the more challenging drives on Australia's
East Coast. Whether you're driving along the Tweed River, passing through
Burringbar, or overtaking slow motorists near the route's northern terminus,
the "Old Pacific" will leave a lasting impression in your worldwide travels.
Each viatologist can appreciate the iterations this route goes through: as a
two-laned country road, a four-lane highway, a jungle thoroughfare, and an
inland bypass.

Courtesy of photographer Vishwarma Hindrabagi, the Worldwide Transportation
Library (WWTL) now hosts three photographs of the Old Pacific Highway:

http://wwtl.info/tmp/1001/

Enjoy! I owe an apology to Vishwarma for delaying the upload of these
photographs. Those photos were handed to me several months ago while I
worked (...in serial) w/ Operation Animation. Without doubt, you'll find
that Vishwarma is one of the better photographers/viatologists in the world
today.

Did you know that the Worldwide Transportation Library has 30 photographs of
Australian highways? In addition to the 180 videos and 30 Virtual 360s in
our library, the WWTL is without question the superior provider of
viatological capture. Where other viatologists skimp, the WWTL fills in the
blanks on the worldwide level.

Cheers,

Carl Rogers
"Environment first, transportology second"
********
Worldwide Transportation Library (WWTL):
http://wwtl.info
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Complete coverage of international roads and railways.
Since 2000, we offer several photographs, videos and
Virtual 360 demonstrations -- free of charge.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
********

Old January 11th, 2009, 04:20 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,rec.travel.australia+nz,soc.culture.australian
Alan S[_1_]

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 15:35:25 -0800, "Carl Rogers"
wrote:

[...]

I've never heard of a viatologist, so I presume you created
the word.

Just a couple of points. The name of the road has been
changed to "Tweed Valley Way" in case anyone actually goes
looking for it. It was changed when the new bypass freeway
from Yelgun to Chinderah was completed.

I agree that it is a pleasant drive, and well worth doing if
you aren't in a hurry going further North or South. However,
it is more rewarding if you linger a little longer in the
district to see the Tweed Coast, or Murwillumbah, or the
little villages like Uki, Burringbar, Stokers Siding or
similar.

I'm slightly biased, as I live he-)

Some pix from spots just off the highway to whet your
appetite:
http://loraltraveloz.blogspot.com/se.../North%20Coast

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Latest: Drivers, Stepped Wells and Baolis
Old January 11th, 2009, 06:01 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,rec.travel.australia+nz,soc.culture.australian
GortWeasel

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 14:20:35 +1100, Alan S wrote:

I agree that it is a pleasant drive, and well worth doing if you aren't
in a hurry going further North or South. However, it is more rewarding
if you linger a little longer in the district to see the Tweed Coast, or
Murwillumbah, or the little villages like Uki, Burringbar, Stokers
Siding or similar.

I'm slightly biased, as I live he-)

Some pix from spots just off the highway to whet your appetite:
http://loraltraveloz.blogspot.com/se.../North%20Coast

Cheers, Alan, Australia

Nice pix in your blog Alan. I remember camping at Pottsville in the
summer of 1965, a violent storm came in from the ocean and demolished
the place. There were airborne tinnies and caravans, and marquee tents
ripped to shreds. It was all so very exciting for a young kid. We were
biletted that night in the general store/post office, as it was one of
the few buildings which wasn't damaged. The town of Brunswick Heads also
sustained a lot of damage in that storm.

Old January 11th, 2009, 06:25 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,rec.travel.australia+nz,soc.culture.australian
Otto Yamamoto

GortWeasel wrote:

I remember camping at Pottsville in the
summer of 1965, a Â*violent storm came in from the ocean and demolished
the place. There were airborne tinnies and caravans, and marquee tents
ripped to shreds. It was all so very exciting for a young kid.

Take a holiday in Texas/Oklahoma/Kansas in the summer. You'll enjoy the
tornadoes...Then there's always hurricane(cyclone) season in Florida.

--
Otto Yamamoto
Old January 11th, 2009, 06:36 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,rec.travel.australia+nz,soc.culture.australian
H.B. Elkins

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 14:20:35 +1100, Alan S wrote:

I've never heard of a viatologist, so I presume you created
the word.

You presume correctly. Mr. Rogers is the world's one and only "viatologist,"
whatever the hell that means.

The rest of us who have an interest in various aspects of roads call ourselves
roadgeeks, "roads scholars," or merely "people who are interested in roads."

--
To reply by e-mail, remove the "restrictor plate"
Old January 11th, 2009, 07:05 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,rec.travel.australia+nz,soc.culture.australian
Alan S[_1_]

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 05:01:08 GMT, GortWeasel
wrote:

[...]

Thanks. It was holidays in Hastings Point that drew me back
to the district for my retirement.

Luckily I haven't seen any storms to equal the one you
described since my return in '99.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old January 11th, 2009, 04:58 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,rec.travel.australia+nz,soc.culture.australian
Luxury Yacht

"Alan S" wrote in message

I've never heard of a viatologist, so I presume you created
the word.

Just a couple of points. The name of the road has been
changed to "Tweed Valley Way" in case anyone actually goes
looking for it. It was changed when the new bypass freeway
from Yelgun to Chinderah was completed.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Latest: Drivers, Stepped Wells and Baolis

As another has pointed out the word "viotologist" is completely made up by
the OP. However, as you can see, he promotes his web site as the leading
viatologist web site. Since there are no others (because the word is made
up) it's a completely hollow claim to fame.

You should also be aware that Mr. Rogers doesn't find it necessary to call
streets, highways and points of interest by their correct name. He uses
whatever nomenclature he chooses to use. If you question him on it or, as
you have done, suggest he correct it, he will get all huffy. His ultimate
response will be "it's my website - I can call things whatever I want. Tehy
are working definitions anyway." So, just to forewarn you, Mr. Rogers may
get snotty with you for infomring him of the correct name of Tweed Valley
Way.

All the best to you in 2009

--
Don't forget to have your troll spayed or neutered

Old January 11th, 2009, 06:09 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,rec.travel.australia+nz,soc.culture.australian
Otto Yamamoto

I had a look at the blog and bookmarked it.

--
Otto Yamamoto