Infinity Propulsion Problems

Old March 8th, 2004, 12:24 AM

Default Infinity Propulsion Problems

Have read rumours that Celebrity's Infinity, currently in South
America, is once again experiencing pod problems.

Anyone else heard this? We're set to board next weekend in Valparaiso
and would hate to find out our cruise is cancelled.

Brenda J.
Old March 8th, 2004, 12:45 AM
Jeff Coudriet

Yep, have been reading about that a bit on Cruise Critic boards. Have
your TA call to find out for sure, and good luck to you.

Jeff

Old March 9th, 2004, 09:58 PM
B. Harwood

Well, I saw my travel agent today. She called Celebrity, who said
that they had a bearing problem, but that it was being fixed in port,
and everything is fine. At CruiseCritic, one of the posters heard
from someone on board that they appear to be back on schedule.

Whew!

Brenda J.
Old March 10th, 2004, 02:23 AM
Ray L. Nutz

Meant to say I do not believe this kind of problem can be fixed in port
unless the port has a dry dock large enough to accommodate INFINITY. This
is not something you do at pierside. (got it right this time)

Bearings are generaly located inside the ship so dry-docking is not
neccessary.
on some ships a strutt type device is used to guide the propelershaft but it
does not generaly be first thing to fail.

Jaap

Old March 10th, 2004, 03:14 AM
Allen Lutz

Yes, I was on the Millie last week and they said that the Infinity was
ending its current cruise and will be sailing with just the crew to dry
dock at 12 knots.

Allen

Old March 10th, 2004, 03:52 AM
Mark Katzenberger

I'm waiting to see how the QM2's pods hold up.

BTW - the Celebrity Millennium-series pod problems are well known, but many
other ships have pods these days -- how are the others (e.g. Carnival ships
post-Elation) faring?

Mark

"Newby" wrote in message

"B. Harwood" wrote in message
om...
Well, I saw my travel agent today. She called Celebrity, who said
that they had a bearing problem, but that it was being fixed in port,
and everything is fine. At CruiseCritic, one of the posters heard
from someone on board that they appear to be back on schedule.

Whew!

Brenda J.

I do not believe this kind of problem cannot be fixed in port unless the
port happens to have a dry dock large enough to accommodate INFINITY.

Old March 10th, 2004, 04:21 AM
Newby

"Newby" wrote in message

"B. Harwood" wrote in message
om...
Well, I saw my travel agent today. She called Celebrity, who said
that they had a bearing problem, but that it was being fixed in port,
and everything is fine. At CruiseCritic, one of the posters heard
from someone on board that they appear to be back on schedule.

Whew!

Brenda J.

{snipped my own post}

Old March 10th, 2004, 05:44 AM
Newby

"Ray L. Nutz" wrote in message
Meant to say I do not believe this kind of problem can be fixed in port
unless the port has a dry dock large enough to accommodate INFINITY.

This
is not something you do at pierside. (got it right this time)

Bearings are generaly located inside the ship so dry-docking is not
neccessary.
on some ships a strutt type device is used to guide the propelershaft but

it
does not generaly be first thing to fail.

Jaap

This is a podded (?) propulsion system. Totally different than what you are
describing. For this job it will be necessary to dry dock INFINITY. They
may slow down and stay off of the starboard pod but INFINITY will ultimately
be dry docked to effect the repair.

Go to the below link to see Azipods. Don't know if INFINITY has Azipods or
Mermaid pods. The bearings are located in the pod.
http://www.ship-technology.com/proje.../elation7.html