Tipping in USA/Canada

Old November 28th, 2007, 03:21 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
America the Beautiful[_2_]

Default Tipping in USA/Canada

Greg Procter wrote:

America the Beautiful wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

mrtravel wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

mrtravel wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

mrtravel wrote:

America the Beautiful wrote:

I always decline paying gratuities directly to the cashier - I don't
trust that the wait staff will receive the tip. Plus, the amount they
receive will be taxed. I always pay the tip in cash and personally to
the waitress.

Whether by credit card or in cash, the tip is still taxable.

Chris's point is that it is up to the waiter to decide whether the tip
will be taxed.

Legally, it is not up to the waiter.

If the waiter pockets the (cash) tip then it is entirely up to the
waiter - Chris offers the waiter that choice.

So, since waiters don't have to report income, doesn't that diminish
your claim they are underpaid?

My claim is that they are underpaid by their employers - it's Chris who
is presenting figures to show that they are underpaid in total.

See how easily confused you are?

There's no confusion about a maximum hourly rate of $2.13 - that's third
world standards.

How so when they take home over a $1000 a week?

--
Chris F.
Long Island

UN tries to take over our internet AGAIN!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDDitDBPFW8

American military power!!!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FuilPdrkN_Y

British military power.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=gdbR2d2BZSw

New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark on
Aristocrats and Mongoloids, plus sings.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ybDZLzNrB-Y
Old November 28th, 2007, 03:22 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
America the Beautiful[_2_]

mrtravel wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

America the Beautiful wrote:

I never said we are the best (but we are), I said our waitresses make a
good living considering their skills.

Obviously they don't.

what do you based this on?

The poverty that his wait staff endures.

Our waiters get paid a reasonable rate in the first place,

you said they get min. wage.

more than
most oy your waiters can earn with tips.

LOL!

Old November 28th, 2007, 03:22 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
America the Beautiful[_2_]

Greg Procter wrote:

mrtravel wrote:

America the Beautiful wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

The peasants' only relaxation was taking
Jews apart to see what made them work.

And its still a mystery.

I think he is confusing this with the Swiss and watches.

Try reading a bit of Russian history in regard to the lives of the
average peasants.

Nobody cares but you.

Old November 28th, 2007, 03:23 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
America the Beautiful[_2_]

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter said:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter said:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter said:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter said:

America the Beautiful wrote:

Dominos is a brand of make-believe pizza. Kids order it during midnight
munchie fits.

Is there no depths yanks won't decend to???
I thought dominoes were those little black rectangular slabs that bar
customers play some stange game with.

Even though Domino's is a well established brand in New Zealand.

You really ought to get out more.

It's not well established here in the city of Hukerenui!

You said a couple of posts ago that you live in the country, not in
the city.

Are you not clear?

Sure, Hukerenui has a population of 1040 spread over a radius of 7km.

So do you live in a city or in the country?

That would obviously depend upon one's definition of "city" (and
country)
I've pretty much covered that point with the population and area
statistics above.

So you don't know if you live in a city or in the country!

Truly astonishing.

If you knew Grogs like we know grogs you'd see that its really nor all
that astonishing.

Another confused reader bites his keyboard.

Then maybe you should take e deep breath and go get a sandwich.

Old November 28th, 2007, 03:24 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
America the Beautiful[_2_]

Greg Procter wrote:

America the Beautiful wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

mrtravel wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

It appears that waitresses' incomes for forty hours work would be
between $183.60 (minimum wage after tax) and $1,000-. That would average
out, making allowances for both the pretty ones, at about $250- per
week.

How did you get $183.60 for minimum wage after tax?
There would be no income tax on minimum wage.
Social security would be paid, but technically it isn't a tax, according
to the Federal Insurance Contributions Act of 1934.
In any case, SS and Medicate amount to 7.65 perccet For what it's
worth, the employer also pays this 7.65 percent.

How did you determine the maximum to be $1000?

That's not difficult, from Chris's figures - 5 tables x $5- tip per
table per hour x 40 hours.

There might well be abberations, but Chris's figures have to be
considered the highest

Highest? I was being liberal.

That's what I mean - liberal with the truth.

I don't think you really know what you mean.

Old November 28th, 2007, 03:33 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter said:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter said:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter said:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter said:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter said:

[...]

Of course I know.

Yet you were unable to answer the question.

Clearly you do not know.

You can prove me wrong by answering the question.

It depends upon one's definition of "city".
My handy dictionary says "a cathedral town" and "any town made city by
charter".
Those definitions eliminate the majority of cities world-wide.

Truly astonishing.

For your little brain it is obviously truely confusing.

Not confusing. Astonishing. They're different concepts.

Sure, and you are truely confused, not astonished.

--
Craig http://www.wazu.jp/
1,239 Unicode fonts for 82 written language groups:

Why did you quote my signature?

Old November 28th, 2007, 03:34 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter said:

Craig Welch wrote:

Greg Procter said:

mrtravel wrote:

Do you claim that when someone paid by credit, the bank credited you
with the gross amount of the purchase?

No - I claim that the statement shows the full amount of the payment,
followed by their fee. The amount then credited to my bank account from
the credit card company is the nett amount. They are two seperate
accounts.

Ah, you've changed your mind.

Fair enough.

No, the point still stands - the credit card company receives the full
amount to the client's account and then deducts the percentage fee.

Ah, just when I thought you'd got it. You haven't.

You've missed a step. Trust me, you've missed a step.
Old November 28th, 2007, 03:35 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

Greg Procter wrote:

America the Beautiful wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

mrtravel wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

Good for you! You shouldn't have to pay the restaurant owner her tip and
nor should your generosity got to the US government!

Why should the tippee get tax free income, simply because a good part of
their money comes from tips If a waiter is makiing $50000 per year, why
should they pay less in taxes than a school teacher making $50000 per year?

I have no trouble with waiters paying tax. Do try to read _and
understand_ what I write before shooting your mouth off.

Yeah, look at who is calling the pigs ass pork!

I've never met a pig that owns an ass.

You don't own your own?

A pig, an ass, or a pork?
Old November 28th, 2007, 03:36 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

Greg Procter wrote:

America the Beautiful wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

mrtravel wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

mrtravel wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

mrtravel wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

The employer gets the money, deducts whatever he/she calculates is
his/her cut and then in his own time hands the remainder to the waiting
staff.
The tip isd to the waiting staff so the process should go the other way.

If the tip is charged to a credit card, why shouldn't the recipient of
the tip pay the fee for the credit card being used for the tip?

Certainly the recipient should pay the credit card fee for the tip.
That's what happens.

This isn't the view you expressed previously.

You're insisting that the merchant accepts the bank's calculations on
pure trust and then the staff accepts the merchant's subsequent
calculations on pure trust. The tip is the waiter staffs' business, not
the merchant's. The US employment regulations lock the staff into that
procedure and leave them wide open to being ripped off by the other
parties.
Hell mrtravel, even Chris F understands this!

No, I am insisting that if I leave a $10 tip via credit card, the wait
staff is entitled to $10 less the credit card processing fee the
merchant will have to pay on that $10. Personally, it doens't matter too
me, it's only a couple of percent (maybe 3) of the gross tip.

But we already know that a (major) portion of your tip will go to paying
the difference between the employer's payment of $2.13 per hour and the
minimum wage of $5.85 per hour.

Nobody said that but you. And we all know how credible that is....

The US employment law says that the employer's payment to waiter staff
is $2.13 per hour - you're saying US employment laws aren't credible!

It makes sense, Greg. You think it doesn't but seeing the great
difference in our wait staffs pay and yours, our system seems to be
working 10 time better.

That would be because you are ignorant of our system.
Old November 28th, 2007, 03:37 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.nuke.the.usa
Greg Procter

Greg Procter wrote:

mrtravel wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

mrtravel wrote:

Greg Procter wrote:

mrtravel wrote:

[...]

The potential earnings and actual earnings are two entirely different
things.