UK Debit Cards & SA ATMs

Old January 25th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Brian

Default UK Debit Cards & SA ATMs

I'm visiting South Africa for the first time next month. I've seen
that a few years ago the were problems reported using 'foreign' credit
and debit cards at ATMs., but it's not been mentioned recently. Has
the situation now improved, or should I be taking some travellers
cheques as well - if so what currency?

Thanks

Brian
(change closed to open for email)
Old January 25th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Orinoco1999

Brian,

I am a foreigner, since 4 years in Joburg. Using my debit and credit
cards at ATM. Havent had a problem. Would even say that the banking
system here is more advanced than in europe. If you want to be safe I
would carry some pounds, but its more a schlepp to get the money
changed (time, office hours etc)
Where are you going to? Need some tips?

Cheers

Old January 27th, 2005, 01:39 PM
riverman

"Orinoco1999" wrote in message
oups.com...
Brian,

I am a foreigner, since 4 years in Joburg. Using my debit and credit
cards at ATM. Havent had a problem. Would even say that the banking
system here is more advanced than in europe. If you want to be safe I
would carry some pounds, but its more a schlepp to get the money
changed (time, office hours etc)
Where are you going to? Need some tips?

You cannot change Rand into foreign currency when you leave SA unless you
have proof that you have changed some foreign currency into Rand at some
point in your trip, so I always start out a SA trip by changing $100 at the
airport exchange shops. That allows me to change any leftover currency back
into $US when I leave (including the tax refund at the airport).

However, I get all my trip cash out of the ATMs. They work fine, for all
currencies AFAIK.

--riverman

Old January 27th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Brian

"riverman"

"Orinoco1999" wrote in message

Thank you both for the replies. I'll change some cash early on and
rely ATMs for the rest. We're visiting Cape Town first and then
Kruger NP, St Lucia and the Drakensberg area. I'd guess around the
Kruger NP the ATMs will be in short supply but there should be plenty
in the other areas.

Old January 28th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Marc Lurie

There is definitely an ATM at Skukuza in Kruger, and I'm fairly sure
that the other large camps will have ATM's as well.

Gave a great trip, and if I can help with advice etc. please contact
me.

Marc

Old January 28th, 2005, 07:23 AM
riverman

"Marc Lurie" wrote in message
There is definitely an ATM at Skukuza in Kruger, and I'm fairly sure
that the other large camps will have ATM's as well.

Gave a great trip, and if I can help with advice etc. please contact
me.

And most of the gas stations on the highway between CT and Krueger will have
ATMs, also.

--riverman