san diego in august?

Old May 11th, 2007, 01:09 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
k[_1_]

Default san diego in august?

Our vaca schedule has been rearranged and rearranged again this year, and
our first chance at a week off is the last week in Aug.

Our own backyard (New England) looks to be impossible, so I've been plugging
cities we either like or haven't been to into Expedia to see what's
available and affordable.

I know where San Diego is, and that's about it. It has a beach and a zoo,
and that's all we need to know, but what's a good area? Is downtown just a
business district, or is it nice enough to stay in? How about La Jolla?
Sea World?

Our preference is beach, one that we can walk to, better yet look down on
from our room.

Sorry for newbie questions, but we have to decide something before we can go
looking for a book. If someone would be kind enough to point me to online
information about how San Diego is laid out, that's all I need right now.

thanks
Keith

Old May 11th, 2007, 04:27 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Toller

A couple years ago we rented a condo on the beach in Solana Beach. Had a
wonderful time.

Old May 11th, 2007, 05:16 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
NOName

On Fri, 11 May 2007 00:09:51 GMT, "k"
wrote:

[...]

I live in San Diego. There are miles of beaches and a world class
zoo, a wild animal park and the weather is about the best in the
nation. Sea World and Old Town are other popular attractions.

I live in a neighborhood called Pacific Beach, just a block from
the ocean. There are many beachfront hotels. Pacific Beach is just
south of La Jolla, which is a lovely area. Yes, you can stay in the
downtown -- the Gaslight area is popular -- but if you like beaches
why not stay on or close to one? Plenty of restaurants around also.

Here is some information on the San Diego neighbhorhoods:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/feature/238/

http://www.discoversd.com/san-diego/neighborhoods/

and a map showing where the neighborhoods are located

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-map-191501...san_diego_ca-i

Old May 11th, 2007, 06:57 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Doug McClure

San Diego will be pretty hot in August, less so near the beaches. I
expect prices will be high there, though.

There are some nice hotels downtown, but where you want to stay
depends on what you want to do. If you are looking mostly for
relaxation, you could stay almost anywhere along the beaches. Downtown
San Diego will be just a 30 minute drive (if you avoid rush hour) from
just about anywhere.

San Diego has lots more to offer besides the beach, zoo, Sea World.
There are plenty of opportunities for shopping, dining, relaxing.
There are lots of museums, mostly in Balboa Park, but not exclusively.
Plenty of plays, music, concerts, etc. Or golf at Torrey Pines (but I
don't know how easy it would be to get a tee time).

The big attractions are certainly the zoo and Sea World, but also the
Wild Animal Park (which has a great new ride), LegoLand. The Midway is
pretty new.

Tijuana is not far away, nor are the deserts.

It all depends on what exactly you would like to do, whether you are
traveling with kids, etc.

DKM

wrote:

[...]

To contact me directly, send EMAIL to (single letters all)
DEE_KAY_EMM AT EarthLink.net. [For example .]
Old May 11th, 2007, 07:26 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Nile

Keith wrote:

Our preference is beach, one that we can walk to

I agree on Pacific Beach or, especially, Mission Beach. You might
check out Coronado Island but I suspect it's more expensive, plus
further from the other sites. A friend likes Carlsbad; I've never been
there but it's further north and, again, that much further from the
other sites.

In addition to the other places and activities already mentioned, in
August you will have both the Padres (baseball), and the horse races at
Del Mar ("where the turf meets the surf").

Old May 11th, 2007, 06:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On May 10, 5:09 pm, "k" wrote:

I know where San Diego is, and that's about it. It has a beach and a zoo,
and that's all we need to know, but what's a good area? Is downtown just a
business district, or is it nice enough to stay in? How about La Jolla?
Sea World?

thanks
Keith

I've seen the zoo by day and I've seen the zoo at night; what a
difference. Go at 4 or 5 PM as the daytime crowds are departing; it's
much more pleasant, and a lot cooler. The Nighttime Zoo closes at 9
PM June 23rd through September 3rd. See:
http://www.sandiegozoo.org/calendar/...ttime_zoo.html

Old May 11th, 2007, 09:21 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
k[_1_]

Thanks everyone, for the good information on short notice. Now I have an
official starting point.

Keith

Old May 12th, 2007, 05:08 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
NOName

On Fri, 11 May 2007 15:21:41 -0500, "k"
wrote:

Thanks everyone, for the good information on short notice. Now I have an
official starting point.

Keith

Glad to be of some help. Enjoy San Diego. Look for me -- I'll be the
old lady riding her adult trike along the bike paths on the beach.