new braunfels or fredericksburg

Old August 26th, 2009, 11:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
A1

Default new braunfels or fredericksburg

if I want a real German experience in Texas, which one, new braunfels or
fredericksburg is the place to stay? What has more going on, if I want to
take a room there and just walk around? I plan to visit both, but looking
for a place to stay now.

Old August 27th, 2009, 06:56 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
singlemalt

For a real German experience, I am afraid that you wil be disappointed with
both. I live in Austin and I go to Fredericksburg often on my way to work in
Kerrville. I also go to work in New Braunfels occasionally. Of the two I
would choose Fredricksburg. New B. is just sort of a small town with no
particular distinctions. F'burg is a town with a strong German history and
some residuals in terms of German restaurants and a few other German
influences. Mainly, it consists of one main street of kitschy shops selling
nick knacks of all kinds, antiques,linens, etc. Really touristy. However,
there is a decent microbrewery on the main drag, the Admiral Nimitz museum
(house built to look like a ships tower) and a couple of decent German
restaurants. I have a friend from Germany who enjoys going there and eating.
There are a few conventional restaurants as well. Try Rathskeller, Albort
( I believe) and another one named something like Lindenhaus. They are all
on the main drag. Also you can see the Sunday houses. Nice thing about
F'burg is that you are pretty close to the LBJ Ranch, and southwest of the
city is some beautiful hill country, down around Vanderpool. Almost direct
south of F'burg is Kerrville, non distinctive town, and further south is
Bandera. I don't know what part of the country or world you are from but I
drove down to Bandera one day and went to a saloon named Saloon. It is
touristy but I had the feeling I was in a big movie set. I asked the
waitress if this was real and she said it was. At the time I went there were
3 horses tied up in from of the saloon that I thought were there for show,
but soon 3 people mounted them and rode off. Also in F'burg Rebecca Rather
has her pastry shop with sandwiches, etc. Her pastry has become quite well
known across the country and deserves her good reputation. If you go to
F'burg you have to try her Key Lime Tarts. Best way to get there is fly to
San Antonio, get on IH 10 to Kerrville then turn north on highway 16 (22
miles to F'burg).. Wait more till the fall. It is hotter than hell here
right now.

Old August 27th, 2009, 11:28 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
singlemalt

San Antonio is not that far from either place. I35 from SAT to NB. I10
from SAT to Kerrville then north to F'burg. Austin has a lot to offer but it
sort of depends on your personal tastes. Lots of rock music, c w, grunge or
whatever else. About 80 percent of downtown Austin is given to eating and
drinking places.
"A1" wrote in message ...
Thanks for the good review of them. It sort of sounds like what I saw in
Helen, Georgia, but a little better. If I wait until December to go, will
it be too cold there to walk around. I guess if new braunfels and
fredericksburg are really duds, I can always visit San Antonio and Austin.