Planning a trip to Colorado/Utah - need advice!

Old July 30th, 2004, 06:21 AM
Anonymous

Default Planning a trip to Colorado/Utah - need advice!

I am planning a week long camping trip to Colorado and Utah with my 6
½ year-old son in mid June. This will be the first time tent camping
for us (we've previously gone the route of the KOA Kamping Kabin).

We are planning on seeing Rocky Mountain National Park (essentially
this is an overnight and a drive thru from Denver to Dinosaur),
Dinosaur National Monument, Arches National Park, and Canyonlands.

My son would like to take a raft trip. We've never done this, but my
hunch is that a half day trip would be the way to go here.
My son would also like to do a horseback trail ride. This was
something we did last year in South Dakota in the Black hills, and it
was a lot of fun. Again, my hunch, given that we're not used to
horseback riding, something shorter would be better. 2 hours or under.

I'm looking for information/advice on:
What to expect for weather/temperature in mid to late June.
Where to camp (I'm not into complete 'roughing it'...need showers and
bathrooms)
Rafting locations/options
Horseback riding locations/options
Hiking 'must do's'
Must see activities and stuff we should skip

Also, I've not done much tent camping in the past. Have been doing
lots of reading, but would love any tips that would help make this a
more enjoyable experience.

We've never been to this part of the west. Have a feeling we'll be so
tickled with it that a week won't seem like long enough.
--multiplaza.nl.nu--