U.S. tourism may be casualty of war on terror

Old February 23rd, 2005, 07:53 AM
alohacyberian

"Deep Foiled Malls" wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 03:36:18 -0500, nobody wrote:

What I admire is the way the Democrats supported the war in Iraq, yet
Bush's re-election was interpreted by him as the electorate approving
of his decision.

"We got 51% of the vote, so we are 100% right"

Congressional approval for the allied invasion of Iraq was far greater than
51% and Bush never claimed that because he got 51% of the popular vote (not
that the popular vote means anything in American presidential elections) he's
100% right. But, he does hold 100% of the power in the Executive branch of
government and it wouldn't hurt if the Bush-bashers accepted that simple
fact. All the whining and gnashing of teeth from the elite Leftwing Liberals
aren't going to diminish his powers. Hopefully if they continue their crybaby
bedwetter wailing, they'll torpedo any chances of winning the 2008 election.
They should learn when to shut up and go along, but, they'd prefer to follow
the never-successful strategies that came out of one of the most colossal
political failures of all time: the Soviet Union. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3000 live cameras or
visit NASA, play games, read jokes, send greeting cards & connect

Old February 23rd, 2005, 08:14 AM
AJC

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 15:03:46 -0500, "Tom Bellhouse"
wrote:

"Gregory Morrow"
gregorymorrowEMERGENCYCANCELLATIONARCHIMEDES@ear thlink.net wrote in
message ink.net...

AJC wrote:

Ugh, yes, I've been to Atlanta. I didn't enjoy it, but I'm glad I've
seen it. Everyone should be exposed to such horrors at least once!

Yeah it's a ghastly place. I really despise the South, too bad they

don't
secede so that the rest of the US can again rise to the level of a

First
World country...

Georgia especially is a backwater. There is only one time in my life

when I
felt my life was in danger, it was about 30 years ago when I had to

pull off
the interstate in rural Jaw - ja to change a flat tyre. People were
actually swerving to *hit* me and yelling "Yankee go home!" (they were
tipped off by my Illinois licence plates). It really *is* like the

film
_Deliverance_ down there, except that the hillybillys in the movie

have
progressed to the point where they have real power and influence in

this
country, e.g. Newt Gingrich...

SHUDDER/

I never felt unsafe in Georgia (that was in Florida, Key West of all
places), just bemused that it existed in this day and age.

People were cringing when Atlanta got the '96 Olympics. Gawd that was

whole big white trash fest...

I remember the reports of the city giving homeless people one way air
tickets out of town to get rid of them!

The South sucks up HUGE amounts of money from the rest of the country,

it's
mostly for pork barrel defense expenditures. So not only is the South

backwards place, but it is also sucking the lifeblood out of the more
advanced parts of the country.

Bit like Belgium then, Modern Flanders in the North earns all the
money to support the Wallonians in their creepy villages in the South.

--
Best
Greg

========

Greg, sorry about your bad experience in Georgia. (Reminds me of the
night I got stranded in the mountains in northwestern Haiti, complete
with voodoo drums!) Please set your stereotypes aside and remember that
there are a lot of Blue people in Red states, and we don't appreciate
being tarred with the same brush as some of the rednecks we live around.
Some of us actually read and think. There are some Blue folks who plan
to expatriate, and some (like me) who plan to stand and fight.

Re Atlanta (and Georgia in general): It ain't Europe! My wife
motivated us to move to the Netherlands six years ago to escape the
rampant religiosity in Georgia. What a breath of fresh air! I
discovered that our U.S. "political spectrum" is extremely truncated,
going only from "right" to "extreme right." That includes the "liberal"
Democrats! Now I have to chuckle when some poster talks about "the
Liberals." In the context of European politics, U.S. "liberals" are
about in the middle of the spectrum.

Indeed, Clinton style democrats would probably equate to the
centre-right VVD in NL, generally pro free markets, freedom of choice,
keeping religion out of politics, anti-discrimination, but for a
safety net at a civilized level.

We're back in Georgia now, loving parts of the experience and disliking
other parts (like the marriage of religion and politics, or the fact
that yesterday's yellow-dog anti-Washington Democrats are today's
Republicans.) What do we miss about Europe? The cheese, the Trappist
beer, the lack of a need for constant "political correctness," the
opportunity to walk around town without getting run over, the
better-trained drivers, the sense of history, the things to see -- the
list goes on. But there were things about Georgia that we missed when
we lived in Europe, too. The elbow room. The mountains. The food.
The friends. The music.

That must have been a hell of a shock going from the wide open spaces
of Georgia to the dense urban sprawl of NL!

When you get down to it, whether it's Europe or Georgia, it's just
people living their lives and raising their families the best they can,
given their circumstances. There are good people in both places -- not
to be confused with the governments that supposedly represent them.

Best regards,

Tom Bellhouse
Alto, Georgia, USA

--==++AJC++==--
Old February 23rd, 2005, 08:48 AM
Padraig Breathnach

john wrote:

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 03:08:53 +0000, Padraig Breathnach
wrote:

john wrote:

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 01:26:47 +0000, Padraig Breathnach
wrote:

Dave Smith wrote:

miles wrote:

The word Liberal does mean something. You fail to realize that in the
USA for decades Democrats referred to themselves as Liberal. They
defined the word as it exists in the USA.

In most parts of the world the word "liberal" is an adjective, not a label,
and certainly does not bear a negative connotation. It generally suggests
education, knowledge, compassion and forward thinking.

It seems to mean those things to some (note I say some) Republican
Party voters.

Would you happen to know one?

Yes.

I doubt it.

Liberal and a Republican voter are a contradiction in terms.

I think you missed the point.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old February 23rd, 2005, 09:39 AM
Deep Foiled Malls

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 07:53:43 GMT, "alohacyberian"
wrote:

"Deep Foiled Malls" wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:01:31 GMT, "alohacyberian"
wrote:

"Deep Foiled Malls" wrote in
message ...
On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 18:32:15 -0700, miles wrote:

Given that the Republicans are the ones who are massively deepening
the debt of the US and spending collosal amounts of money on failing
foreign policy decisions, I just cannot see how you can believe this.

Anyone who sees the national debt as being all-bad is only illustrating his
ignorance of basic economics. As a percent of the GDP the national debt was
historically the highest under the Reagan Administration (much higher than
it
is now) and the Leftwing was screeching to the heavens about the horror of
it
all - while they doled out dire doomsday warnings foretelling cataclysmic
economic chaos and catastrophe! They couldn't have been more wrong. The
American economy began the longest period of expansion in the history of
the
United States. And the screeching about the current national debt is again
ill advised and wrong. How wrong do some people have to be before they lose
their audience? Or do they live for hysterical melodrama? KM

So... you're saying not to worry about it, because the future
generations will be sure to fix it up, yeah?

LOL! That's hilarious! While you may wish to parrot the ignorance of some
other limp-wristed hysteric, you might look into what the national debt is
and to whom it is paid. You could get in on the gravy train, too, and spend
less of your $ on prescription jitter medication and wild-eyed worries. Are
the children and grandchildren of today "paying" the national debt of the
Reagan era? Well no. Why do you suppose that is? Doh! KM

So... you're saying not to worry about it, because the future
generations will be sure to fix it up, just like after the Reagan era,
yeah?
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old February 23rd, 2005, 09:41 AM
Deep Foiled Malls

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 07:53:41 GMT, "alohacyberian"
wrote:

"miles" wrote in message
newsXuSd.19055$Tt.17201@fed1read05...
john wrote:

Back to the killfile for you.

Why must people state publicly they are killfiling someone? If you wish to
ignore someone then DO IT!

They aren't really killfiling anyone, they just want to display hysterical
melodrama to make people think their lives matter instead of admitting they
have no lives while they desperately hope that others on the lunatic fringe
will chime and and echo their loneliness. Misery loves company. KM

On my other computer you were plonked. Time to put you where you
belong.

*replonk*
--
---
Old February 23rd, 2005, 06:36 PM
Sarah Banick

I too have spent some time in Atlanta, and given my personality, I
didn't fit in very well. Those folks look at like your stupid if you
try any subtle humour at all, like sarcasm with the appropriate over
exaggerated voice tones. Everytime I said something, they all got this
stunned expression on their faces, like I had just divided them by
zero or something!

Oh for god sakes....DFM, normally I appreciate your comments, but you just
sound stupid here (I'm used to that with Gregory).

Just what were you doing in Atlanta? Stuck out in some suburb of lily white
middle class types? Can I say all Italians are part of the mafia? Atlanta
has a vibrant, creative, artistic and cultural community, on par with most
large American cities, if not better. I readily admit Georgia still has a
lot of backwater traditions, which frustrated and tire many of us, but
intown Atlanta is as sophisticated as any major urban area. Dare I even
compare it to.......well, I won't go that far. But since all the Yankees are
moving down here, and it ain't just for the weather, we must be doing
something right.

If you end up here again, give me a call. Sounds like all you guys saw was
the airport and the interstates.

Sarah

Old February 23rd, 2005, 08:27 PM
Gregory Morrow

Sarah Banick wrote:

I too have spent some time in Atlanta, and given my personality, I
didn't fit in very well. Those folks look at like your stupid if you
try any subtle humour at all, like sarcasm with the appropriate over
exaggerated voice tones. Everytime I said something, they all got this
stunned expression on their faces, like I had just divided them by
zero or something!

Oh for god sakes....DFM, normally I appreciate your comments, but you just
sound stupid here (I'm used to that with Gregory).

Tut tut...

Just what were you doing in Atlanta? Stuck out in some suburb of lily

white
middle class types? Can I say all Italians are part of the mafia? Atlanta
has a vibrant, creative, artistic and cultural community, on par with most
large American cities, if not better. I readily admit Georgia still has a
lot of backwater traditions, which frustrated and tire many of us, but
intown Atlanta is as sophisticated as any major urban area.

Yeah, maybe to somebody from Waycross or Muscle Shoals ..

Atlanta does not even have a strong urban core - downtown is dead as a
proverbial doornail after the office workers leave...

Dare I even
compare it to.......well, I won't go that far. But since all the Yankees

are
moving down here, and it ain't just for the weather, we must be doing
something right.

It's primarily for economic reasons, not because it's a sophisticated urban
draw...

If you end up here again, give me a call. Sounds like all you guys saw was
the airport and the interstates.

Add in strip malls and endless cookie - cutter suburbs and you've got the
essence of Atlanta - and every other boring - as - **** US Sunbelt city.

--
Best
Greg

Old February 23rd, 2005, 08:55 PM
Deep Foiled Malls

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:36:48 -0500, "Sarah Banick"
wrote:

I too have spent some time in Atlanta, and given my personality, I
didn't fit in very well. Those folks look at like your stupid if you
try any subtle humour at all, like sarcasm with the appropriate over
exaggerated voice tones. Everytime I said something, they all got this
stunned expression on their faces, like I had just divided them by
zero or something!

Oh for god sakes....DFM, normally I appreciate your comments, but you just
sound stupid here (I'm used to that with Gregory).

Excuse me Sarah, but you have me at a loss. I don't recall who you
are.

Just what were you doing in Atlanta?

Suffering in Buckhead for the most part, working for some concrete
company.

Stuck out in some suburb of lily white
middle class types?

Yep. Buckhead.

Can I say all Italians are part of the mafia?

Be my guest. Italians all have a little slice of mafia in them, no
matter how small.

Atlanta
has a vibrant, creative, artistic and cultural community, on par with most
large American cities, if not better.

Ok, there must be 2 Atlanta's. I was in the other one.

I readily admit Georgia still has a
lot of backwater traditions, which frustrated and tire many of us, but
intown Atlanta is as sophisticated as any major urban area. Dare I even
compare it to.......well, I won't go that far. But since all the Yankees are
moving down here, and it ain't just for the weather, we must be doing
something right.

If you end up here again, give me a call. Sounds like all you guys saw was
the airport and the interstates.

Take less offence. There are some places that I just don't belong, and
Georgia is one of them.
--
---
Old February 23rd, 2005, 09:59 PM
Sarah Banick

Excuse me Sarah, but you have me at a loss. I don't recall who you
are.

A regular lurker -- I don't contribute unless I have something constructive
to add to the conversation.

Ok, there must be 2 Atlanta's. I was in the other one.

Yeah, you were in Buckhead.

Good travelers know that there is something interesting everywhere, even if
it's not their thing. Too bad you couldn't make it to Piedmont Park or Druid
Hills in the spring.

Take less offence. There are some places that I just don't belong, and
Georgia is one of them.
--

I'm not offended that you or anyone doesn't like it here....I didn't like
the picture this thread is painting, and I want the newgroup readers to

Sarah

Old February 23rd, 2005, 11:00 PM
Gregory Morrow

Sarah Banick wrote:

Excuse me Sarah, but you have me at a loss. I don't recall who you
are.

A regular lurker -- I don't contribute unless I have something

constructive
to add to the conversation.

Ok, there must be 2 Atlanta's. I was in the other one.

Yeah, you were in Buckhead.

Good travelers know that there is something interesting everywhere, even

if
it's not their thing. Too bad you couldn't make it to Piedmont Park or

Druid
Hills in the spring.

Why? There are quite a few other places in the world that have nicely
landscaped areas with flowers and shrubs...

Take less offence. There are some places that I just don't belong, and
Georgia is one of them.
--

I'm not offended that you or anyone doesn't like it here....I didn't like
the picture this thread is painting, and I want the newgroup readers to
realize Atlanta is more than the cultural backwater y'all were hyping.

Well what "cultural" attractions does Atlanta really have? A fairly dire
art museum...the tattered old Cyclorama (diorama of the Civil War)...and a
Coca - Cola "museum" where you have to pay to enter so as to be bombarded
with Coke's marketing propaganda...

[I did weep at the loss of the World Of Sid And Marty Krofft amusement park,
though...]

Thought it would help them to hear it from someone who has actually spent
more than a few days (or weeks) here.

Yeah, if you fly Delta on a regular basis at all you've no choice but to
spend a few weeks out of the year in Atlanta...

It's like that old Southron folk saying: When you die in the South you have
to transit through Atlanta airport whether you are going to heaven or
hell...

--
Best
Greg