U.S. tourism may be casualty of war on terror

Old February 18th, 2005, 06:00 AM
john

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 04:27:44 GMT, "spamfree"
wrote:

More than possible. I just finished watching a regular TV show, World
Business. I think it is based in the UK. One of their stories featured
that problem, that top American brand names are suffering reduced
sales in the last two years. A marketing / public opinion firm queried
the public and it was confirmed that people are buying fewer American
branded products because of American foreign policy.

American exports are up the past 2 years.

Big deal.

Is that making much of a dent in the trade deficit?

The trade deficit is 600 billion.

The dollar is weak so foreign countries can buy more for the same
amount of money in their local currency. OF COURSE exports
are up, duh! Also you compared apples and oranges. I wrote that
the top American brands were suffering, not all exports. Top
American brands include Coke and the like. The only one of the
top ten American brands that increased business was McDumps.

So your story is false.

It's not my story, genius. http://www.fbcmedia.com/en/prgms.asp

I have traveled to both Canada and the UK recently. On both
trips people were very friendly to me and talked more about the
BS propaganda they hear on TV as being just that...BS.

Oh yes, your two trips are *so* statistically significant.

Casey

Old February 18th, 2005, 06:09 AM
miles

john wrote:

Big deal.

Is that making much of a dent in the trade deficit?

The trade deficit is 600 billion.

Big Deal. Whats your point? The deficit isn't what the thread topic
was dealing with. Besides, almost 1/2 last years increase in imports
was from oil. One single product. Hardly representative of the market
as a whole.
Old February 18th, 2005, 06:22 AM
Gary L. Dare

PTravel wrote:

Of course, I'm a citizen, but the process didn't seem
any more onerous than the usual garbage I go through
when I fly home from international travel.

Umm ... there's a HUGE difference if you're a US citizen.

Tell us again in 18 months when stricter requirements (as per 9/11
Commission recommendations enacted by Congress) are in place,
like US citizens requiring a biometric passport for re-entry. That's
right, the passport that you don't really need for Canada or many
Caribbean countries will be mandatory for return.

gld

Old February 18th, 2005, 06:27 AM
nobody

PTRAVEL wrote:
Cars assembled in the USA now cost more because of those border security
measures.

What has this to do with the topic of this thread?

Someone mentioned that land borders had not changed and that new
measures didn't have any significant impact.
Old February 18th, 2005, 07:35 AM
TheNewsGuy

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 18:43:01 -0700, miles wrote:
Remember when Bush ...

He wasn't trying to be PC.

Exactly. But he IS a "P" and should be "C". LOL!!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
+ (two mirrored sites)
+ http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
+ http://wave.prohosting.com/tnguym NOWTHISWORKS
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Old February 18th, 2005, 09:03 AM
AJC

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:58:55 -0800, "PTravel"
wrote:

"spamfree" wrote in message
ink.net...
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TRAVEL/02/17....ap/index.html

The article assumes that the dip in tourism is the result of security
procedures. Isn't it also possible that the dip is the result of potential
tourists' distaste for recent American actions on the world stage?

Or a combination of the two. Add in the low value of the dollar, the
give away prices of Europe-US flights (these days a return to Florida
is little more than half the price of a return to Cuba, Jamaica, and
similar destinations), and there is a definate problem trying to
persuade people to visit the US. Oh and now there is also the call to
boycott the US for its failure to join in with the Kyoto agreement.
--==++AJC++==--
Old February 18th, 2005, 09:11 AM
AJC

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:37:16 -0700, miles wrote:

spamfree wrote:
Top
American brands include Coke and the like. The only one of the
top ten American brands that increased business was McDumps.

Top American brands are down in the USA as well. The world economy is
down. The USA is one of the few thats growing. So whats your point?

Oh yes, your two trips are *so* statistically significant.

Wasn't intended to be. But these so called stories of everyone hating
Americans is just that...a story that you and others buy into.

Which is no surprise to anyone. Those stories of 'everyone hating
Americans' were made up by the Bush regime and it's associated media
organizations to bolster nationalistic feelings in the US. Europeans,
Asians, and others always have, and always will make the distinction
between the US government, US corporate symbols, and individual
American travellers.
--==++AJC++==--
Old February 18th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Jim Ley

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 20:50:46 -0600, TCS
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:38:45 -0500, nobody wrote:
PTravel wrote:
from both Mexico and Canada post-9/11. Of course, I'm a citizen, but the
process didn't seem any more onerous than the usual garbage I go through
when I fly home from international travel.

Cars assembled in the USA now cost more because of those border security
measures. The car makers had all reorganised themselves for JIT delivery

funny. car prices haven't gone up except for purely japanese cars.

The US car makers are in no position to raise their prices, that
doesn't mean that the cars don't cost more to produce because of the
security measures.

Jim.
Old February 18th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Keith W

"PTravel" wrote in message

"spamfree" wrote in message
nk.net...
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TRAVEL/02/17....ap/index.html

The article assumes that the dip in tourism is the result of security
procedures. Isn't it also possible that the dip is the result of
potential
tourists' distaste for recent American actions on the world stage?

Possibly but a lot is the perceived (and real) hassle that flying
in to the USA involves. Given the favourable exchange rate
european tourists ought to flocking to the USA in droves
but the prospect of being fingerprinted and the warnings that
people may be denied entry because of minor offences
they may have committed many years ago undoubtedly
put people off.

The latter is a real worry for a lot of people. A very respectable
friend of mine cancelled a planned trip to Florida because
he was convicted of possessing pot at University 30 years
ago. The policy of not allowing such convictions to lapse
means he's technically not permitted to travel under the visa
waiver programme. This is bad enough but to apply for
a visa and ineligibilty waiver he has to provide exact details
of the case including the court records. This turned out
to be a major hassle and he gave up.

Instead he's going to Australia where he can apply for a
visa over the internet and get confirmation of his
eligibility in minutes

Keith