22" roll-aboards as carry-on

Old June 13th, 2005, 01:40 AM
Jeff Hacker

"mag3" wrote in message
On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 13:42:42 GMT, "spamfree" wrote:

According to most airlines, luggage sized at 9" x 14" x 22" is the
maximum size allowed for carry-on. Most airlines seem to have
luggage templates (Delta calls it Size Wise) that passengers can
drop their luggage into to see if the size is acceptable.

[SNIP]
I'd like to hear comments from owners of 22"
roll-aboards on whether their luggage fits through the templates
(please state the luggage manufacturer and airline for the template).

Mostly, for me it's a CO 777-200 (which provides more than adequate space
in the
overheads), and a Samsonite 22" hard rollaboard, similar to the one the
FA's
use.

The problem with that is that some countries have different rules.
Australia for
one, where the maximum length dimension is 20" not 22". So even if all you
did
was fly CO going in and then going out, you might get an evil eye from the
check
in and/or gate reps, as I did.

CO hasn't flown into Oz in years (or did you fly Continental Micronesia into
Brisbane or Cairnes?). To those cities they don't fly 777's.

And God help you if you fly domestic in OZ. You
won't get near a gate ramp with your 22" rollaboard. I had to take
everything
out of mine, put it in plastic bags and let the rollaboard be checked
empty!!!

I'm flying on an A340-300 out of JFK this summer so we'll see what that
brings.

Regards,

Arnold

(formerly )

Old June 13th, 2005, 01:41 AM
Alan Street

In article , Maxx.
wrote:

€ ?
€ ? While you're at it, don't forget the laws about CHECKED luggage in
€ ? Australia. There is a weight limit. I recall standing in line to check
€ ? in at the Cairns airport. There was a German family in front of me
€ ? heading home from vacation. A couple of their bags were over the
€ weight
€ ? limit. They had to go buy new bags from an airport shop and repack or
€ ? the counter person wouldn't allow them to check them in.
€ ?
€ ? Some of that crap really scalds my ass. I have two check ins. Last
€ ? flight to Montreal on American. My tool box was one pound over,
€ ? and my personal suitcase was ten pounds under. The ticket agent
€ ? asked me to remove a pound and put it in the other case. She was
€ ? surprised when I started to laugh. Both cases are going on the plane!
€ ? Does transferring *one* freaking pound change the total weight!? She
€ ? smiled & said "I don't see anything", and passed them through.
€ ?
€ ?

€ The law was implemented to protect baggage handlers from lifting
€ luggage that is over 70lbs. Frankly, it doesn't sound like such a bad
€ idea.

€ 100% agreed. *But* - 1 or 2 lbs? I *Know* my box weighs 69 lbs.
€ and I keep it there to avoid the 70+ charge. The ticket
€ counter scales are not nearly calibrated as often as the scales
€ which I use. People have to use a little discression too.

I agree, and in your case it sounds like the gate agent acted like a
normal human being after she realized the absurdity :-)
Old June 13th, 2005, 02:27 AM
Rog'

"Alan Street" wrote:
? ? I have two check ins. Last flight to Montreal on American my
? ? toolbox was one pound over, and my personal suitcase was
? ? ten pounds under.
? The law was implemented to protect baggage handlers from
? lifting luggage that is over 70lbs. Frankly, it doesn't sound like
? such a bad idea.
? 100% agreed. *But* - 1 or 2 lbs?
I agree, and in your case it sounds like the gate agent acted like a
normal human being after she realized the absurdity :-)

Although a gender-generalization, weight limits benefit others than the
baggage handlers, such as husbands whose wives tend to take 1/2
their stuff with them on any trip. Who do you think is gonna haul
the heaviest piece of luggage out of the trunk and onto shuttle buses?
I talked my wife into packing lighter by saying, "Hon, you don't want
to have to pay a surcharge for your luggage, do you?" = R =

Old June 13th, 2005, 02:36 AM
Maxx.

"Rog'" wrote in message
. ..
"Alan Street" wrote:
[...]

That's a good idea, but does it really work? My wife *needs*
everything. 3/4 of her things come back untouched.

Old June 13th, 2005, 02:58 AM
mag3

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 19:40:48 -0500, "Jeff Hacker" wrote:

The problem with that is that some countries have different rules.
Australia for
one, where the maximum length dimension is 20" not 22". So even if all you
did
was fly CO going in and then going out, you might get an evil eye from the
check
in and/or gate reps, as I did.

CO hasn't flown into Oz in years (or did you fly Continental Micronesia into
Brisbane or Cairnes?). To those cities they don't fly 777's.

CO Micronesia to CNS. The comment about 777's was a general one, not directly
associated with my Australia experience. Of course, CO Micronesia flies
primarily 737's which is what I flew there. But in any case, CO permits the 22"
rollaboard as part of CO's regular carry on policy on either aircraft.

The problem was convincing the Australian check in rep. that that was CO's
policy (upon the return flight) and that she should let me carry it on. The
question was, which policy prevailed - CO's or Australian law (since we were
talking "international flight/carrier")? In my case, CO's policy prevailed. Not
the same story with Anset Australia for the "domestic" flights I took while
there. I was almost denied boarding for insisting on taking it on board knowing
it would fit in the overhead of an A320. They didn't care. I had to dump
everything out of it, and carry it all by hand onto the A320. Oddly enough, my
empty 22" rollaboard was the first thing off the belt in Sydney.

Regards,

Arnold

(formerly )
Old June 13th, 2005, 03:07 AM
Rog'

"Maxx." wrote:
Although a gender-generalization, weight limits benefit others than
baggage handlers, such as husbands whose wives tend to take 1/2
their stuff with them on any trip. Who do you think is gonna haul
the heaviest piece of luggage out of the trunk and onto shuttle buses?
I talked my wife into packing lighter by saying, "Hon, you don't want
to have to pay a surcharge for your luggage, do you?" = R =

That's a good idea, but does it really work? My wife *needs*
everything. 3/4 of her things come back untouched.

To get her to leave our largest bags behind, I agreed to book hotels
with hairdryers, have our laundry done half-way thru our trip, and gave
her space in my bag. :-) The slight expense was, IMO, well worth it.
=R=

Old June 13th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Tchiowa

glenn P wrote:
That's not quite correct. Airlines in Australia will charge excess baggage
over your allowance (economy) of 20kg. It would seem the family didn't want
to pay the charge, and looked for a cheaper way out.

No, the law was specifically about weight per bag. There was a sign
posted on the counter. After they repacked the airline accepted it all.

From the horse's mouth:

"Baggage Allowances
Restrictions apply to baggage on all airlines. If you have baggage that is
in excess of the free allowance, you will be liable for charges. "

Not refused to be checked in.....

"Tchiowa" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old June 13th, 2005, 05:26 PM
sms-dca

They've been taking the templates out at some airports, if airlines
share a concourse, and the airlines have different size limits, though
Continental lost on appeal. The other solution is to lift the templates
for Continental passengers with larger bags.

Old June 13th, 2005, 08:41 PM
JimL

Maxx. wrote:
--------------------SNIP---------
Some of that crap really scalds my ass. I have two check ins. Last
flight to Montreal on American. My tool box was one pound over,
and my personal suitcase was ten pounds under. The ticket agent
asked me to remove a pound and put it in the other case. She was
surprised when I started to laugh. Both cases are going on the plane!
Does transferring *one* freaking pound change the total weight!? She
smiled & said "I don't see anything", and passed them through.

This just shows the silliness of some regs. I got tired of traveling
with two carry-on sized bags, which I checked, along with my computer
case, which I carry on. So I bought one rolling duffle that can hold
mofre than the former two. First trip I discovered, with it only
about 2/3 full, it was one pound over the 50 pound weight limit. The
ticket agent was nice and let me through. But I asked her, if I had two
separate bags, each weighing 45 pounds, total 90, would those go
through, but not one bag at 52 pounds? Yes. She explained that the
main concern was what she, at the countr, and later other baggage
handlers, were required to pick up and place on the various conveyor
belts.

That made sense to me. Alas, I'm stuck with an almost new large bag
that I really can't use unless it's half empty. So my second trip I
filled the empty space with bubble wrap to keep things from sliding
around. Unfortunately the hotel maid threw out the bubblewrap the
first day. Try explaining to the hotel desk why you want your bubble
wrap replaced.

"You want three yards of WHAT, sir?"

Old June 13th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Maxx.

"JimL" wrote in message
oups.com...

Maxx. wrote:
[...]

But if you pay the overweight charge, they *still* have to lift em.