need advice on savannah GA

Old November 22nd, 2004, 04:57 PM
curious

Default need advice on savannah GA

Hello,
Thus far, we've never been to this city although
we live in the atlanta burbs.

I need your inputs.

1. What are some good family type hotels in the
area? We want to be in a safe part of town and
wanted to know about 2-room suites if available.

2. Are there any areas in the city to stay away from?

3. Please don't flame here...are there any groceries
in the historic region (for those with special food needs).

4. Recommendations for best tours for the buck?

Thanks for any advice!!
Old November 23rd, 2004, 12:25 AM
Roger B.

"curious" wrote...
Hello, Thus far, we've never been to this city although
we live in the atlanta burbs.
I need your inputs.

Check out http://www.historictours.com/savannah/
You can buy discount tickets online. They give good tours
with unlimited on-off privileges. You can get a package that
include some house tours. Stay either in the historic district,
close to the river, or out by the airport. [R]

Old November 23rd, 2004, 02:36 AM
TheNewsGuy

On 22 Nov 2004 08:57:40 -0800, (curious) wrote:

Ya' gotta' read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil before/during
the trip. Makes the area really come alive. Highly recommended!

1. What are some good family type hotels in the
area? We want to be in a safe part of town and
wanted to know about 2-room suites if available.

What price range?

2. Are there any areas in the city to stay away from?

I would not go out outside of the historic area, ceretainly not past
MLK Avenue. We saw too many police crusiers stopping people in the
area. Not used to that in Canada.

3. Please don't flame here...are there any groceries
in the historic region (for those with special food needs).

???

4. Recommendations for best tours for the buck?

We took one of the ( three?) open couch tours the first morning we
were there. (They'll pick you up around your hotel if you are in the
popular areas) They all are giving $5 discounts - so a $21 adult tour
is $16. I DO NOT recommend you pay extra for the on/off privilege.
The public transit system in the area is FREE - and there is no
guarantee the tour will have room to let you on if the next tour is
full AND everything is in EASY walking distance anyway. So stay on
the whole tour and get a good overview and some comments of the area
then do you own walking tour. They also sell a tour upgrade that
allows you to enter and take a tour of the old homes. My wife and I
got 2 each and I let her take all four tours while I stayed outside,
took pictures, talked to people in the squares.

If you are intersted in American Naval history the Marine Museum is a
nice hour or so.

I recommend you stay away from the over-hyped Lady and Sons restaurant
- (we tried it and it was well below expectations) save your money and
take a more expensive but wonderful meal at Elizabeth on 37th (very
special - $120 or so for 2)

For some of my photos...
http://www.geocities.com/atcot88/Sav/savannah.htm

Enjoy.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
+ (two mirrored sites)
+ http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
+ http://wave.prohosting.com/tnguym NOWTHISWORKS
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Old November 23rd, 2004, 10:53 AM
Pomeroy3

We want to be in a safe part of town

Recommendations for best tours for the buck?

Stay anywhere in the Historic Region and you will be fine. For an excellent
walking tour contact Bobby Davis at www.exploresavannah.com
Susie Q
Old November 23rd, 2004, 01:01 PM

Savannah is the city where Girl Scouting started. You can tour the
Juliette Gordon Low House and get some history on Girl Scouting and its
interesting founder.

Take a carriage ride around the historic district. Do a walking ghost
tour. Ride the riverboat. Visit Fort Jackson and Tybee Island.

Shop and dine on the Riverfront. Eat at Mrs. Wilke's boarding house and
the Pirate House.

Don't miss a chance to experience the Casbar Morrocan restaurant for a
meal that is a 2 hour event complete with a belly dancer.

Stay in the historic district and walk to most everything. It seemed
very safe to me (with normal precautions) when I took a group of Girl
Scouts to visit the city. Choose the Hyatt, Days Inn and Suites, or the
Hampton Inn. Avoid the Howard Johnson as it is on the fringe of the
historic district and looks a bit dicey to walk around the neighborhood
at night IMO. There are also a lot of qaint bed and breakfast places.
I will send you links to activities I did separately (have them saved,
but, don't know the urls to post)

Shelly

Old November 23rd, 2004, 01:03 PM
Al B

We stayed in the Marshall House in the historic district. It was a very
nice place within walking distance of the squares and river district.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 01:03 PM
Al B