Seabourn's European Tours Satisfy Activity Appetite!

Old March 9th, 2006, 03:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Seabourn's European Tours Satisfy Activity Appetite!

Hi Everyone,

I received this press release from the Seabourn Cruise Line and
thought it would be of interest. If you have missed any of my news'
postings, they are available on my web site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Seabourn's European Tours Satisfy an Appetite for Activity

Biking, Hiking, Canyoning Excursions Inject Pep Into Pampered
Vacations

MIAMI, March 9
Ultra luxury cruise pioneer Seabourn Cruise Line has created a
European "Adventure Collection" of shore excursions that offer its
guests opportunities to feel the burn while seeing the sights in ports
of call from Norway to the Greek Isles. The adventurous, active
experiences are designed to satisfy vacationers who believe that
sybaritic shipboard indulgences like the line's sumptuous dinners and
herb-scented bubble baths should be complemented by a certain amount
of vigorous exertion.

For example, Seabourn offers guided bicycle excursions in Madeira;
Sardinia; Taormina, Sicily; Florence, Athens, Helsinki, around
Stockholm's Royal Djurgaarden park and, in Denmark, at Skagen and on
the island of Bornholm. Guests are also offered chances to explore the
French island of Corsica, the slopes of Sicily's Mt. Etna, the Greek
isle of Corfu and the vineyards and flower fields of Provence on
mountain bikes.

For those seeking something even more strenuous, Seabourn offers
excursions involving the popular European activity called "canyoning,"
in which participants swim, jump, climb, rappel and float down scenic
river canyons, one located near Nice, France and another at the
Alcantara Gorge on the island of Sicily.

A variety of guided walking tours are available in nearly twenty of
the line's European ports of call, including cliff walks on the isle
of Guernsey; walking the moors of Dartmoor from Plymouth, England;
exploring the Art Nouveau section of Aalesund, Norway on foot;
following Cezanne's footsteps from Nice, strolling Barcelona's Gothic
Quarter, an "insider's" walking tour of Mykonos and volcano hiking on
Santorini.

Some Adventure Collection excursions feature highly specialized
activities, such as a sea-kayaking tour of the waters around
Dubrovnik, sailing on the Turkish coast and a truffle-hunting
expedition near Rovinj on Croatia's Dalmatian Coast.

Adventure Collection tours are offered in Europe along with Seabourn's
award-winning "Signature Series" tours, which often feature privileged
entry into museums and other attractions when they are closed to the
general public, exclusive receptions with local dignitaries, or
introduction to fascinating local features that are well known to
insiders, but remain off the typical tourist's itinerary.

Back on board, Seabourn's active guests will appreciate the ship's
fully- equipped, sea-view gym and the award-winning Spa at Seabourn,
even as they enjoy a continuing series of thoughtful enhancements to
shipboard and shoreside services called Signature Delights that add
luxury and value for guests aboard the three 208-guest Yachts of
Seabourn: Seabourn Pride, Spirit and Legend. Signature Delights
include free Massage Moments on deck; complimentary service of spirits
and wines including French champagne throughout the cruise, gourmet
cuisine created by celebrity chef Charlie Palmer, indulgent Pure
Pampering therapeutic bathing selections from Molton Brown and an
Exclusively Seabourn complimentary shoreside experience on every
cruise.

Seabourn has been honored in every annual edition of Conde Nast
Traveler magazine's Gold List and placed at the top of the luxury
cruise category by readers of such prestigious magazines as
Departures, published exclusively for American Express Platinum and
Centurion Card members; Travel + Leisure and the annual Travel Star
survey of Swiss travel agencies.

The Yachts of Seabourn sail cruises of seven to 18 days or longer on
itineraries in the Mediterranean, Western and Northern Europe. With
Early Booking Savings of up to 35 percent, fares start from $3,996 per
person, based on double occupancy of a 277-square foot ocean-view
suite. For information, contact a travel agent.

The Yachts of Seabourn is a proud member of World's Leading Cruise
Lines. Our exclusive alliance also includes Carnival Cruise Lines,
Holland America, Princess Cruises, Cunard Line, Costa Cruises and
Windstar Cruises. Sharing a passion to please each guest, and a
commitment to quality and value, our member lines appeal to a wide
range of lifestyles and budgets. Together we offer exciting and
enriching cruise vacations to the world's most desirable destinations.
The Yachts of Seabourn is a brand of Carnival Corporation and plc
(NYSE: CCL; LSE) and (NYSE: CUK), and supports the Ocean Conservation
& Tourism Alliance, dedicated to education and promotion of best
practices for protecting the marine environment.

Old March 9th, 2006, 03:38 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Ray Goldenberg" wrote in message
news

For example, Seabourn offers guided bicycle excursions in Madeira;
Sardinia; Taormina, Sicily; Florence, Athens, Helsinki, around
Stockholm's Royal Djurgaarden park and, in Denmark, at Skagen and on
the island of Bornholm. Guests are also offered chances to explore the
French island of Corsica, the slopes of Sicily's Mt. Etna, the Greek
isle of Corfu and the vineyards and flower fields of Provence on
mountain bikes.

Biking in Florence? My god, they must lose a lot of passengers that way.
Yes, Centro is traffic limited but the mopeds and scooters would be more
than I'd want to risk on a bike.

Cycling Chianti or the other hand, sounds wonderful. I have not done that,
but in my younger days, I used to schlep my 4x5 field camera up (and up and
up) and down the hills there.

Paul

Old March 9th, 2006, 04:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

DID IT! The 'I Bike Italy' van picks us up at a set location along the
Arno, in Florence. We put our lbelongings in the van and head to the
outskirts of town to get equipped with our bikes, helmets and water
bottles. The ride begins uphill, and continues uphill...the hill never
seems to end. The tour guide fills our water bottles along the route
and tells us there is another hill ahead. The views are breathtaking
but I am so hungry and tired I hardly even notice. We finally stop for
lunch at 1:30. I am famished. The food is delicious and after lunch I
feel energized again. But now I discover a new pain when I sit on my
bike. Thankfully we head downhill. Along the route we stop at a winery
in the Chianti region and have a tour and taste some wine. The ride
continues throughout the countryside and we finally stop at an inn at
about 7PM. We accomplished 30 miles today (about ½ uphill). After a
quick shower (not enough hot water for a long one) we sit down with our
group for a huge feast with lots of wine, followed by a good night's
sleep.
We meet at 8AM for breakfast and then head out on the bikes again. I am
thankful that the first couple of miles are flat and my legs get a
chance to warm up. But the hills do come and so do very steep downhill
rides. I wish I brought gloves. The views are breathtaking. The tour
guide replenishes our water and offers us orange wedges. After 20 miles
of riding we stop for lunch. We are about 15 miles from Siena when me
and another member of the group decide to ride in the van. I feel
completely exhausted but proud that I have accomplished 50 miles of
hard riding within two days. It was tough, but also a great experience.

Old March 9th, 2006, 10:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"travelexpert" wrote in message
oups.com...
DID IT! The 'I Bike Italy' van picks us up at a set location along the
Arno, in Florence. ....
It was tough, but also a great experience.

How much biking experience do you have? Or, how many miles and feet of
climbing do you usually accomplish in a week? My husband and I saw a 3 or
4 day pre-cruise bike excursion on Seaborn or Raddison and we were wondering
how experienced we had to be.

Old March 10th, 2006, 01:12 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

I am not an experience biker, the pre-biking experience is for those of
novice to moderate level. I really loved the experience and the
service was great. It makes you understand the importance of a jacuzzi
tub after the experience though especially if you have a tight touche
like me!