EasyJet - more Questions

Old March 9th, 2004, 06:03 AM
Stromer2

Default EasyJet - more Questions

Thanks for the replys regarding EasyJet reliability. Now a few more questions
for people who have flown them.

The carry on luggage allowance is rather small - much smaller than the Airlines
in the USA have. They allow 1 piece sized at 18" x 14" x 8" and 11 lbs plus a
hand bag. Do they really check this and charge the extra fee for weight over 11
lbs? Are the overheads so small that they will not carry the typical American
carryone luggage (22" x 15" x 8"). I will not have any checked luggage.

Are the planes usually at capacity - do they overbook?

Thanks, Rick

Old March 9th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Miss L. Toe

"Hilary" wrote in message
The carry on luggage allowance is rather small - much smaller than the
Airlines in the USA have. They allow 1 piece sized at 18" x 14" x 8" and
11 lbs plus a hand bag. Do they really check this and charge the extra
fee for weight over 11 lbs? Are the overheads so small that they will
not carry the typical American carryone luggage (22" x 15" x 8"). I
will not have any checked luggage.

Yes, they will check this and yes, they will charge you extra or make you
check it (probably the latter). All the nofrills airlines here in Europe
are very strict about baggage. And the overhead lockers for all European
carriers are smaller than some of the US ones - no-one here likes the idea
of 23kg falling on them, so hand luggage is restricted to 5-6kg.

Just out of interest, has anyone heard of 23kg falling on someones head from
an overhead locker ? i would have thought some airline would have got sued
for billions if it had happened.

P.S. - KLM allows 10Kg of hand luggage.
Ryaniar allow 7Kg.

I believe BA are the meanest at 5Kg.

Old March 9th, 2004, 12:48 PM

(Stromer2)
Thanks for the replys regarding EasyJet reliability. Now a few more questions
for people who have flown them.
The carry on luggage allowance is rather small - much smaller than the
Airlines in the USA have. They allow 1 piece sized at 18" x 14" x 8" and
11 lbs plus a hand bag. Do they really check this and charge the extra
fee for weight over 11 lbs? Are the overheads so small that they will
not carry the typical American carryone luggage (22" x 15" x 8").
I will not have any checked luggage.
Are the planes usually at capacity - do they overbook? Thanks, Rick

I believe they do NOT overbook. They have no need to. Payment has already
been received for every seat sold.

Regarding your luggage my advice would be to face up to the fact that
you are not at home and just consign your 22"x15"x8" to the hold.

I believe American habits regarding stuffing enormous amounts of
luggage into overhead lockers were bred by scheduling tight connecting
times at hubs and then running the incoming flight late, leaving many
passengers with impossible connections to just make or just fail to make.

Because easyJet operate strictly on a point-to-point basis with no
connecting flights you might as well make the most of the available
seat pitch without being surrounded by voluminous bags etc. From
the airline's point of view I believe their policy leads to planes
Old March 9th, 2004, 02:50 PM
S Viemeister

"Miss L. Toe" wrote:

P.S. - KLM allows 10Kg of hand luggage.
Ryaniar allow 7Kg.

I believe BA are the meanest at 5Kg.

I thought BA was 6kg? Icelandair is 5kg.

Old March 9th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Traveller

"Stromer2" wrote in message
Thanks for the replys regarding EasyJet reliability. Now a few more

questions
for people who have flown them.

The carry on luggage allowance is rather small - much smaller than the

Airlines
in the USA have. They allow 1 piece sized at 18" x 14" x 8" and 11 lbs

plus a
hand bag. Do they really check this and charge the extra fee for weight

over 11
lbs? Are the overheads so small that they will not carry the typical

American
carryone luggage (22" x 15" x 8"). I will not have any checked luggage.

They often check, particularly if the hand luggage seems bulky. Being asked
to put your carryon on the scales is not unusual. If it's overweight, you
will NOT be allowed to carry it onboard and will be asked to either lighten
it (by moving some items into your checked baggage - if you have some) or to
check the bag. They are fairly strict - I would expect you to get away with
under 6kg (limit is 5) but even that can depend on how vigilant they are
being.

The reason for the low carryon allowance is precisely to avoid the
ridiculous situation I often see in the US where pax haul so much stuff on
board that half the passengers end up filling all the overhead bins, and
this then causes delays for the other passengers as they try to stow their
stuff. EasyJet's strict limits mean there is almost always enough space, so
no boarding/deplaning delays, so they make their turnaround times - which
can be as short as 30 minutes.

Are the planes usually at capacity - do they overbook?

Because EasyJet won't offer refunds for no-shows, they do not to my
knowledge overbook. You should also pay close attention to their policies,
particularly:

check-in deadline - 40 minutes - no exceptions (if you turn up at T-35
minutes, you will NOT be permitted to travel, and will not receive any
refund - at least officially. Don't risk it)
ID - you MUST provide an acceptable form of ID on all flights, including UK
domestic. If you're visiting from the US, just carry your passport.
connections - EasyJet are strictly point-to-point. If you travel from
airport A to say, Luton, and onwards from Luton to airport B, you will (a)
collect your bags again at Luton (or whatever your transfer point is) (b)
have to check-in again and (c) be totally responsible for making check-in
deadlines. If your first flight is late, and you miss your onward flight,
too bad. EasyJet will not protect you.

However, that said, if something does go wrong and you ask them nicely, they
will sometimes assist - but are under no obligation to do so.

Peter

Old March 9th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Traveller

"Hilary" wrote in message

Ryanair and Globespan - some of the other nofrills carriers may have
followed suit - now *include* hand luggage in your 15kg or 20kg allowance.
(Ryanair's overall allowance is the lowest in Europe, at 15kg total.)

Hilary: please show references for this, as having just reviewed FR's
website that's certainly not my interpretation of the rules.

Old March 9th, 2004, 11:20 PM
Steve Rainbird

"Hilary" wrote in message
Ryanair and Globespan - some of the other nofrills carriers may have
followed suit - now *include* hand luggage in your 15kg or 20kg

allowance.
(Ryanair's overall allowance is the lowest in Europe, at 15kg total.)

Hilary: please show references for this, as having just reviewed FR's
website that's certainly not my interpretation of the rules.

Think it was a confirmation, can't remember. I know Globespan said they
were following someone's example, and they stated on their last invoice
that the 20kg allowance includes cabin bags.

Hilary

From Ryanairs web site

Baggage Allowance
Checked Baggage
Ryanair provide a free checked baggage allowance up to a maximum of 15 kilos
to each passenger (excluding infants) on each flight sector. Maximum weight
of 32kilos for any one item of baggage.

Cabin Baggage
Ryanair allows each passenger (excluding infants) to carry one small piece
of hand baggage on board. The hand baggage must not weigh more than 7kg and
be less than 50cm x 35cm x 23cm (20x14x9ins) in dimensions. For the safety
and convenience of all passengers, hand baggage must fit underneath the seat
or in the overhead compartment

No mention that I can see of any "combined" allowance.

Steve

Old March 10th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Lansbury

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 09:47:22 -0000, "Miss L. Toe"
wrote:

Just out of interest, has anyone heard of 23kg falling on someones head from
an overhead locker ?

There have been quite a few instances of aircraft hit by abnormal
turbulence having some overhead bins burst open in the ensuing mayhem.

--
Lansbury
www.uk-air.net
Old March 10th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Steve Rainbird

wrote:

Just out of interest, has anyone heard of 23kg falling on someones head

from
an overhead locker ?

There have been quite a few instances of aircraft hit by abnormal
turbulence having some overhead bins burst open in the ensuing mayhem.

--
Lansbury
www.uk-air.net
FAQs for the alt.travel.uk.air newsgroup

You would have to be looping the loop to realistically shift 23 kg!

Steve

Old March 10th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Miss L. Toe

wrote:

Just out of interest, has anyone heard of 23kg falling on someones head

from
an overhead locker ?

There have been quite a few instances of aircraft hit by abnormal
turbulence having some overhead bins burst open in the ensuing mayhem.

I've been in more than one of those, and heavy landings where the lockers
have burst open.
But it is the small light stuff and bottles that get thrown out - not the
heavy stuff.