Going to Wal-Mart while in Port

Old March 25th, 2005, 09:08 PM
villa deauville

We were on a road trip some time bqack and looked for a placwe to eat.
We saw a sign and as it loomed neare it was the Olive Garden. Ah,
someplace we knew

S'nd I
XXX

(* _ *)

Old March 25th, 2005, 09:11 PM
jcoulter

"Scott W" wrote in news:1111779694.771168.226470
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

We get a lot of cruise ships visiting here (Kailua Kona) and every
time there is a ship in Wal-Mart sends a shuttle buss to shuttle people
to and from the ship to Wal-Mart. A lot of people take this shuttle
and go to Wal-Mart, what I would love to know is why, if you are on a
cruise to someplace like Hawaii, would you want to go to Wal-Mart? I
have nothing against Wal-Mart mind you but our town is very nice and
there are any number of interesting places to see right from the pier
where the tender boats come in. There is even a nice little beach
right there were you can snorkel or just swim.

We see passengers from the ships at Wal-Mart all the time and I keep
wanting to ask why they are there but it seems kind of rude to do so.

Scott

Crew members love Wal Mart it may be a shuttle for them

Old March 25th, 2005, 09:11 PM
pfriedmanNoSpam

"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...
We get a lot of cruise ships visiting here (Kailua Kona) and every
time there is a ship in Wal-Mart sends a shuttle buss to shuttle people
to and from the ship to Wal-Mart. A lot of people take this shuttle
and go to Wal-Mart, what I would love to know is why, if you are on a
cruise to someplace like Hawaii, would you want to go to Wal-Mart? I
have nothing against Wal-Mart mind you but our town is very nice and
there are any number of interesting places to see right from the pier
where the tender boats come in. There is even a nice little beach
right there were you can snorkel or just swim.

We see passengers from the ships at Wal-Mart all the time and I keep
wanting to ask why they are there but it seems kind of rude to do so.

Scott

I've never hit a WallMart in port, but I have certainly gone to drug stores,
supermarkets, etc. Usually it is because I forgot to pack something (shaving
cream, etc.) and I don't like what the ship offers for this item.

This is usually at a port in which I have little interest or one I have been
to many times. It never happens in Kona though -- there the problem is: to
the volcano or to the botanical garden north of the town.

On my last cruise (LA - Hong Kong), the ship stopped in Honolulu. I've been
there quite often, don't particularly like the city and didn't feel like
driving to the North Coast. So, I hit a used book store and then went back
on board and read. grin

Paul

Old March 25th, 2005, 09:18 PM
Marsha L

Interesting you would say that... last month crew members told me that pax
frequently do a LOT of shopping in that Wal-Mart, because it's LESS
expensive than the "one at home". I have no first hand knowledge, this is
just what I was told.

"Don & Lynn" wrote in message
ink.net...
There is a Wal-Mart near the dock in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Several crew
members have told us that it is more expensive than the Wal-Marts in the
US.

You know, the people may be in Wal-Mart looking for soft drinks, which
are
expensive on ships.

Old March 25th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Rich Greene \([email protected]\)

"Don & Lynn" wrote in message
ink.net...
My wife's sister and her husband have taken trips to Paris, France several
times and they eat their meals at McDonalds. Go figure.

"Mike Cordelli" wrote in message
om...
It's the same with us when we see people running for McDonalds at a stop.
Makes no sense.

"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...
We get a lot of cruise ships visiting here (Kailua Kona) and every
time there is a ship in Wal-Mart sends a shuttle buss to shuttle people
to and from the ship to Wal-Mart. A lot of people take this shuttle
and go to Wal-Mart, what I would love to know is why, if you are on a
cruise to someplace like Hawaii, would you want to go to Wal-Mart? I
have nothing against Wal-Mart mind you but our town is very nice and
there are any number of interesting places to see right from the pier
where the tender boats come in. There is even a nice little beach
right there were you can snorkel or just swim.

We see passengers from the ships at Wal-Mart all the time and I keep
wanting to ask why they are there but it seems kind of rude to do so.

Scott

McDonalds in Germany sells beer, so maybe French McDonalds sells
wine with the burgers. When I was in the Army serving in many overseas
assignments, the first food on a GI's mind was a "Big Mac" when they arrived
back home. I can only guess that McDonalds is as much a symbol of America
as the American Flag, and McDonalds is the taste of home, no matter where
you get the "Mac". Besides, no matter where the McDonalds is located, it's
almost always cheaper than the local joints if all you want is a quick
lunch.

But when you go to France, you should want to eat French and drink fine
wine,
likewise anyplace else in the world.

As for Wal Mart, they are in a lot of countries now and still growing. Like
McDonalds, Wal Mart is very American and people are expecting American
service and goods. I can't imagine how the locals feel about Wal Mart
sending
a bus to pick up customers at the pier. But business is business and he who
gets the customer, gets the dough.

Bottom line is most likely economics. McDonalds and Wal Mart may be a lot
cheaper than the local establishments.

When we went to Bermuda a few years ago, we stayed away from the familiar
places and ate at local restaurants. We found a nice German Biergarden, but
we
found it too late to eat there.

I have also found that the shops on board are not as expensive as one would
think, and of course the food is free.